Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Raptors trade for Kawhi

Wojbomb.

Final details haven’t come through but DeRozan is going to San Antonio.

Comments

• allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    And it’s a thud.

Kawhi and Danny Green for DeRozan, Poeltl and a highly protected pick.

I think Pop has earned the right to not rebuild. If he wants to go out winning 45 games that’s fine. San Antonio is no longer the gold standard for organizations. They’ve been making bad moves for a few years now and blowing it with a top 5 player makes it official.

The Raptors are now the favorite in the east if Kawhi is healthy.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,696
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,654

Tells me Kawhi is gay.

Toronto women are world class.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

And it’s a thud.

I think Pop has earned the right to not rebuild. If he wants to go out winning 45 games that’s fine. San Antonio is no longer the gold standard for organizations. They’ve been making bad moves for a few years now and blowing it with a top 5 player makes it official.

Totally disagree, this might put them above Philly for #2 but Boston is not at all scared by this move.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,696
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LA may be able to fleece the Raptors easier than SA
  • SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    Guaranteed that Pop drank Kawhi's tears like it was a fucking elixir of life.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dnc said:

And it’s a thud.

Totally disagree, this might put them above Philly for #2 but Boston is not at all scared by this move.
    Healthy Kawhi is the second best player in the league. Boston should be, at least, a little scared. The Raptors won 59 games last year. Yeah, they got their annual playoff ass whooping but the difference between Kawhi and DeRozan is the most important thing in the playoffs.

dnc said:

And it’s a thud.

Healthy Kawhi is the second best player in the league. Boston should be, at least, a little scared. The Raptors won 59 games last year. Yeah, they got their annual playoff ass whooping but the difference between Kawhi and DeRozan is the most important thing in the playoffs.
    I know you hate Durant but no one is taking healthy Kawhi over him.

He might be third best.

I agree the improvement from Derozen to Kawhi is huge but it's not as big as the improvement from no Heyward to Heyward plus no Kyrie in the playoffs to Kyrie playoffs plus another year of experience for Tatum and Brown.

Toronto got lucky to win 59 games last year, they're not going to win that many this year even with Kawhi. They're not going to beat Boston for home court unless Kyrie and Heyward are out for the playoffs again, in which case Philly was going to beat Boston anyway.

Boston isn't worried about Team Drake.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

And it’s a thud.

I really don’t get the love fest for Kawhi. Second best in the league? He’s not in my top 5. And being healthy is kind of a big asterisk to casually waive aside.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

And it’s a thud.

DeRozans a loser. I wouldn’t do that deal.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

dnc said:

And it’s a thud.

I really don’t get the love fest for Kawhi. Second best in the league? He’s not in my top 5. And being healthy is kind of a big asterisk to casually waive aside.
    When he went down against the Dubs, He was a top 5 if not better player. Now... who knows.
    edited July 2018

dnc said:

And it’s a thud.

Durant is undoubtedly second best in league -and if he keeps adding titles and playoff MVPs he moves up to 1A.

Kawhi is a really nice player - but Durant schools him every which way to Sunday.

Healthy (including not having a fucked up mindset influenced by his uncle) Kawhi is top 5. But no way he is ahead of Durant. There's not a GM in the league who would trade Durant straight up for Kawhi.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dumb trade all around.

Spurs will win 50 with DeRozen. They almost did last year without Leonard. DeRozen is an All Star. They are still irrelevant and would be better off rebuilding, but are not because of Pop.

The Raptors still have almost no shot. I doubt Leonard will be as good as he was in San Antonio. There is the injury issue and the fact he doesn't want to be in Toronto.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,387
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Smart trade by the Raps. They know that they weren't going to be an ECF contender, even with LeBron leaving the East. Make this play now and hope you can convince Kawhi to stay. If not, you get the rebuild going sooner. The Spurs were fucked either way. At least Derozan is under contract for three more seasons if they want to try to contend for a 7/8 seed in the west.

Pop being a stubborn old fart ran Kawhi off with how he handled this situation. Putting Parker and Ginobli in front of the media as his henchmen to call out Kawhi was about the shittiest move he could've made.

Boston was/is going to run the Eastern Conference either way (Philly is not close to their level), and Kawhi is going to sign in LA next summer. Meaningless trade in the long-run, but more evidence that off-season is best season in the NBA.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    The Raptors only got the #1 seed because they had the best/deepest bench in the league. Easy to win regular season games when you can insert try hard bench players while the other team is playing 3/4 speed because it’s an 82 game regular season.

This move doesn’t make the Raptors anywhere close to ready to challenge the Celtics. 76ers are fucked though... their whole offense runs through Simmons, who won’t be able to do shit with Kawhi guarding him
    NEsnake12 said:

The Raptors only got the #1 seed because they had the best/deepest bench in the league. Easy to win regular season games when you can insert try hard bench players while the other team is playing 3/4 speed because it’s an 82 game regular season.

This move doesn’t make the Raptors anywhere close to ready to challenge the Celtics. 76ers are fucked though... their whole offense runs through Simmons, who won’t be able to do shit with Kawhi guarding him

Fultz just became a lot more important
    dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

FultzFurkan Korkmaz just became a lot more important
    Fultz cain't shoot.

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

FultzFurkan Korkmaz just became a lot more important
    Fultz cain't shoot.

LIFPO
  • SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    dnc said:

Fultz cain't shoot.

LIFPO
    Agree, now that Fultz has switched trainers.