Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

WSJ: The Trump First Doctrine — Putin respects strength but Trump showed weakness

GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
Donald Trump left for Europe a week ago with his reputation enhanced by a strong Supreme Court nomination. He returned Monday with that reputation diminished after a tumultuous week of indulging what amounts to the Trump First Doctrine.

Mr. Trump marched through Europe with more swagger than strategy. His diplomacy is personal, rooted in instinct and impulse, and he treats other leaders above all on how much they praise Donald J. Trump. He says what pops into his head to shock but then disavows it if there’s a backlash. He criticizes institutions and policies to grab headlines but then claims victory no matter the outcome.

The world hasn’t seen a U.S. President like this in modern times, and as ever in Trump World everyone else will have to adapt. Let’s navigate between the critics who predict the end of world order and the cheerleaders who see only genius, and try to offer a realistic assessment of the fallout from a troubling week.

• NATO. The result here seems better than many feared. Mr. Trump bullied the allies with rhetoric and insulted Germany by claiming it is “totally controlled” by Russia. But his charges about inadequate military spending and Russia’s gas pipeline had the advantage of being true, as most leaders acknowledged.

The 23-page communique that Mr. Trump endorsed is a solid document that improves NATO’s capabilities to deter and resist a threat from Russia. Mr. Trump’s last-minute demand that countries raise military spending to 4% of GDP was weird, but he is right that more countries are likely to meet the 2% target.

One risk is that Mr. Trump’s constant criticism of NATO will undermine public support for it in the U.S.—and, more dangerously, undermine the alliance’s deterrence against Russia. If Vladimir Putin concludes Mr. Trump isn’t willing to protect the Baltic states, he may pull another Crimea.

• The Brits. Mr. Trump turned a friendly visit into a fiasco by criticizing Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit strategy in an interview with the Sun newspaper. He backtracked a day later, calling his own comments on tape “fake news,” and Mrs. May was gracious.

But Mr. Trump should encourage a U.S.-British post-Brexit trade deal both in the U.S. interest and to help Britain negotiate the most favorable Brexit terms from the European Union. Other leaders will conclude from his rude treatment of Mrs. May that working with Mr. Trump is more perilous than fighting him.

• The EU. In contrast to NATO, Mr. Trump does seem to want to undermine the European compact. He called it a “foe” on trade, which will make negotiating a better trade deal even less likely. He seems determined to impose a 20% or higher tariff on European autos to strike at Germany, which would also hit France and others.

The U.S. isn’t part of the EU, but American Presidents have found it useful as an ally to leverage sanctions against, say, Russia or Iran. Mr. Trump is stoking European resentments that will bite back sooner or later when he wants Europe’s help.

• Russia. Details from the private Trump-Putin talks in Helsinki will spill out in coming days, but Monday’s joint press conference was a personal and national embarrassment. On stage with the dictator whose election meddling has done so much harm to his Presidency, Mr. Trump couldn’t even bring himself to say he believed his own intelligence advisers like Dan Coats over the Russian strongman.

“I have—I have confidence in both parties,” Mr. Trump said. “So I have great confidence in my intelligence people, but I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today.” Denials from liars usually are strong and powerful.

The charitable explanation for this kowtow to the Kremlin is that Mr. Trump can’t get past his fury that critics claim his election was tainted by Russian interference. And so he couldn’t resist, in front of the world, going off on a solipsistic ramble about “ Hillary Clinton’s emails” and Democratic “servers.” He can’t seem to figure out that the more he indulges his ego in this fashion, and the more he seems to indulge Mr. Putin, the more ammunition he gives to his opponents.

For a rare moment in his Presidency, Mr. Trump also projected weakness. He was the one on stage beseeching Mr. Putin for a better relationship, while the Russian played it cool and matter of fact. Mr. Trump touted their personal rapport, saying the bilateral “relationship has never been worse than it is now. However, that changed as of about four hours ago. I really believe that.” In four hours?

Mr. Putin focused on his agenda of consolidating Russian strategic gains in Syria, Ukraine and arms control, and suggesting that the American might help. Mr. Trump even seemed to soften his stance against Russia’s Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline to Germany.

By going soft on Mr. Putin, Mr. Trump will paradoxically find it even harder to make deals with the Russian. Republicans and Democrats will unite in Congress, as they should, to limit his diplomatic running room. Mr. Trump may decide to court Mr. Putin anyway, like Barack Obama did Iran’s mullahs, but political isolation concerning a foreign adversary is a weak and dangerous place to be.

Comments

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

The part about Russia pretty well sums up my views. I'll leave EU and NATO and Britain to others to dissect. On Russia, he bungled it. Had a real chance there, but dropped the ball badly. His massive insecurities caused most of that debacle, as the author correctly points out. Putin will now just do whatever he wants for the next 2-6 years. And not backing our intel folks was just bad form. Look, I have worked for one of these three letter agencies. Trump has some legitimate complaints here, but that was not the correct forum for airing them. Looked JV to me. Gave Putin more power. Diminished his own. Like I said, he stepped on his own dick, and didn't have to.

Here's the thing, I like Trump - well, I like what Trump has done to upset the apple cart in Washington, so it's fair to say I love what he represents. But this fragile ego thing is a constant source of befuddlement to me. What does Trump have to feel so fragile about? He rich as fuck. Nailed piles of hot chicks, and married to another super hot one. He is the leader of the free world. What am I missing? That question doesn't need answering.

But, I will also add to this that all the useful idiots calling him a traitor are just stupid. Nothing he did even comes close to treason. Jesus. Get a grip people. It was a tremendously bungled presser, where he let his anger at Mueller get the better of him, and his intense distrust of the intel community almost ruin him. That's it. This isn't Benedict Arnold turning over the fort shit. Kill yourself Brennan.

Couldn't have said it better
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,656
    Trump didn't say or do anything much different than the dick sucking Obama used to do with foreign leaders.

Big fucking deal. Unless either Putin or the Donald push the nuke button it doesn't change my life one fucking bit. Outrage de jour.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

The part about Russia pretty well sums up my views. I'll leave EU and NATO and Britain to others to dissect. On Russia, he bungled it. Had a real chance there, but dropped the ball badly. His massive insecurities caused most of that debacle, as the author correctly points out. Putin will now just do whatever he wants for the next 2-6 years. And not backing our intel folks was just bad form. Look, I have worked for one of these three letter agencies. Trump has some legitimate complaints here, but that was not the correct forum for airing them. Looked JV to me. Gave Putin more power. Diminished his own. Like I said, he stepped on his own dick, and didn't have to.

Here's the thing, I like Trump - well, I like what Trump has done to upset the apple cart in Washington, so it's fair to say I love what he represents. But this fragile ego thing is a constant source of befuddlement to me. What does Trump have to feel so fragile about? He rich as fuck. Nailed piles of hot chicks, and married to another super hot one. He is the leader of the free world. What am I missing? That question doesn't need answering.

But, I will also add to this that all the useful idiots calling him a traitor are just stupid. Nothing he did even comes close to treason. Jesus. Get a grip people. It was a tremendously bungled presser, where he let his anger at Mueller get the better of him, and his intense distrust of the intel community almost ruin him. That's it. This isn't Benedict Arnold turning over the fort shit. Kill yourself Brennan.

Love you Pookie.
    Swaye said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

Love you Pookie.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rank amatuers gonna rank amateur. Doesn't matter if they are real estate hustlers or community organizers.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    TL,Dr but I did see that Democrats and Republicans will unite in Congress.

Umm no.
  • Dude61Dude61 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,226
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nearly every political action that generates this much complete nonsense and hysteria from the Left and Right is worthy of immense praise.
    Dude61 said:

Nearly every political action that generates this much complete nonsense and hysteria from the Left and Right is worthy of immense praise.

Not when you bend over to Putin. Other than that I'd mostly agree.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Dude61 said:

Care to give an example?
    Swaye said:

I've been thinking about all this more than I should, and I find myself wondering if Trump can't disconnect the linkage between two different things effectively. On one hand, you have the Mueller probe going after Russian meddling in our election, and on the other, you have the Mueller probe going after Trump Campaign collusion with Russia to influence the election. These are two distinct things. Just because you have one, does not mean you have the other. Trump isn't a total dumb ass, but perhaps he can't disconnect these two things. I wonder if he feels like agreeing that Russia meddled somehow indicts him as complicit? To me, this is an easy thing to see. Putin jacked with the election - that does not mean that Trump underlings had anything to do with that.

I just wonder if his bizarre behavior is due to his unrelenting desire to always be right, and he feels that ANY acknowledgement on Russia, whether it has anything to do with him or not, paints him in a bad light. Shit I think about while I should be working.

Good theory.

The reality is he's doing the opposite. By denying that which is blatantly obvious (Putin fucked with the election) he discredits his denial of what may or may not have happened (Trumps team was involved with it).
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,740
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I think most of us here are for upsetting the Washington apple cart. A fragile man-baby with no self control or discipline just isn't the guy to do it right.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited July 2018
    This narrative is so fucking stupid. Its obvious to anyone with half a brain this was an internal leak from within the DNC and the Russia narrative was concocted post defeat. Trump is just stating the truth - the CIA has been waging all out war against him since he won the primary.

Where is the fucking server?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I can't imagine why President Trump would doubt the people who claim he ordered prostitutes to pee on a bed.

Mueller special council was tasked with finding collusion between Trump and Russia. So far, no evidence has been provided to back up either of the indictments.
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,740
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

This narrative is so fucking stupid. Its obvious to anyone with half a brain this was an internal leak from within the DNC and the Russia narrative was concocted post defeat. Trump is just stating the truth - the CIA has been waging all out war against him since he won the primary.

Even it it's true, you don't announce that at an international presser.

Were you hidden under a rock in 2016? Did you not have internet access during the election? Russians and others trying to hack the election was discussed a ton during the election.
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

I've been thinking about all this more than I should, and I find myself wondering if Trump can't disconnect the linkage between two different things effectively. On one hand, you have the Mueller probe going after Russian meddling in our election, and on the other, you have the Mueller probe going after Trump Campaign collusion with Russia to influence the election. These are two distinct things. Just because you have one, does not mean you have the other. Trump isn't a total dumb ass, but perhaps he can't disconnect these two things. I wonder if he feels like agreeing that Russia meddled somehow indicts him as complicit? To me, this is an easy thing to see. Putin jacked with the election - that does not mean that Trump underlings had anything to do with that.

I just wonder if his bizarre behavior is due to his unrelenting desire to always be right, and he feels that ANY acknowledgement on Russia, whether it has anything to do with him or not, paints him in a bad light. Shit I think about while I should be working.

Due to his fragile ego and narcissism, he feels that if he acknowledges that Russia meddled in the election, it diminishes his victory. He is still bragging about his electoral win nearly 2 years after the fact.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2018
    2001400ex said:

Were you hidden under a rock in 2016? Did you not have internet access during the election? Russians and others trying to hack the election was discussed a ton during the election.
    Why would the Russians spend time and money trying to undermine our election when the FBI was doing it for free?