Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Top countries for quality of life (spoiler the US and Venezuela not on it)

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,579
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    The only nice one i have is a speedmaster that I dont wear all that often.
    Every time I've debated getting another cool one I just kind of didnt.

It's pretty common that I'll want to buy something, get all into deciding what I want, then once I've learned everything about the subject I get burnt out and dont care that much about it anymore.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Grand Seiko watches rival anything the Swiss make. Post WW2 Japs are cool. Pre-WW2 Japs are little yellow bastards.

My early 80s Rolex Quilcine Oyster Datejust is feeling really chinsulted.
    Not bashing Rolex at all. I have one. And a Zenith El Primero. And a Breitling Chronomat 41. And an Omega Speedy. I love watches, and I especially love stealing them. But, there is no doubt that mechanically there are very few watches that are any better than a GS, and in many cases a GS will match or beat a Swiss watch that costs 5-10 times more. The Japs know their shit. If I can ever manage to steal a GS, bet your ass I will.

I should also mention, for those that don't know, a Grand Seiko is made by Seiko, but is an entirely different animal. Like 5-8 grand each worth of different animal.

I love how fast strategy it is that you own a bunch of luxury watches.

I can't trust myself with anything that nice on my person. I'd either lose it or break it guaranteed.
    I'm a riddle wrapped in a powdery white enigma.

Watches are just one of those things. I loved them even as a kid. As soon as I was in the Navy and making decent money, I started trying to buy what I always loved. I only have a few hobbies besides beer, blow and strippers. Motorcycles, Jeeps/offroad, guns/shooting, fly fishing and watches. Five things. Not that many. I know plenty of guys who play golf all the time, rock climb, cycle (fags), brew beer, do the cigar thing, collect guitars, etc. Look at the audiophiles we have here. Having a few hobbies is nice, and really, when I think of my life most of what I call a "hobby" is really an activity. The only thing I collect that doesn't have an activity associated with it is watches.

The best advice I can give anyone is to not get married or have kids ever, or at least while young. Even as big of a degenerate loser as I am, without a wife and kids dragging you down you can still afford to have piles of money for hobbies - watches, guns, coke, etc.

Holy shit the life I could afford without the wife and kid. It's not just the money though. It's the tim for your hobbies as well.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Grand Seiko watches rival anything the Swiss make. Post WW2 Japs are cool. Pre-WW2 Japs are little yellow bastards.

My early 80s Rolex Quilcine Oyster Datejust is feeling really chinsulted.
    Not bashing Rolex at all. I have one. And a Zenith El Primero. And a Breitling Chronomat 41. And an Omega Speedy. I love watches, and I especially love stealing them. But, there is no doubt that mechanically there are very few watches that are any better than a GS, and in many cases a GS will match or beat a Swiss watch that costs 5-10 times more. The Japs know their shit. If I can ever manage to steal a GS, bet your ass I will.

I should also mention, for those that don't know, a Grand Seiko is made by Seiko, but is an entirely different animal. Like 5-8 grand each worth of different animal.

I love how fast strategy it is that you own a bunch of luxury watches.

I can't trust myself with anything that nice on my person. I'd either lose it or break it guaranteed.
    I'm a riddle wrapped in a powdery white enigma.

Watches are just one of those things. I loved them even as a kid. As soon as I was in the Navy and making decent money, I started trying to buy what I always loved. I only have a few hobbies besides beer, blow and strippers. Motorcycles, Jeeps/offroad, guns/shooting, fly fishing and watches. Five things. Not that many. I know plenty of guys who play golf all the time, rock climb, cycle (fags), brew beer, do the cigar thing, collect guitars, etc. Look at the audiophiles we have here. Having a few hobbies is nice, and really, when I think of my life most of what I call a "hobby" is really an activity. The only thing I collect that doesn't have an activity associated with it is watches.

The best advice I can give anyone is to not get married or have kids ever, or at least while young. Even as big of a degenerate loser as I am, without a wife and kids dragging you down you can still afford to have piles of money for hobbies - watches, guns, coke, etc.

Holy shit the life I could afford without the wife and kid. It's not just the money though. It's the tim for your hobbies as well.
    True buttfuck it, I love the little ones, and wifeys big ones.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

I am not a big watch guy. Mine keep good time are usually titanium and contain a lot of tritium. I did however purchase a Rolex for the spousal unit. Damn thing has broken several times. $600.00 bucks to have Rolex turn it around. Rolex quit selling parts years ago so you usually have to send it to them. No more Rolex.

Yeah, maintenance on luxury watches is a thing. It sucks.
    I'm dreading the day I gotta send mine in have is services. Seems to be OK for now and is only about 10 secs fast per day.
    The watch makers always recommend to have them serviced every 3-5 years, but fuck that. If it is still keeping good time let it roll imo. It's like 450 bucks for a standard service. Fuck that.
    If you can afford the watch, you should be able to afford the maintenance. That's like someone buying a BMW that can't afford $500 to change out the headlight.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My ‘nice’ watch is a blue dialed Ball Marvelight. The it’s a collection of impulse buys and issued watches (Steinhart, Zelos, Orient, Helm, Marathon, etc...). I really need to sell some of these off as they haven’t seen daylight in years.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,655
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

I am not a big watch guy. Mine keep good time are usually titanium and contain a lot of tritium. I did however purchase a Rolex for the spousal unit. Damn thing has broken several times. $600.00 bucks to have Rolex turn it around. Rolex quit selling parts years ago so you usually have to send it to them. No more Rolex.

I'm dreading the day I gotta send mine in have is services. Seems to be OK for now and is only about 10 secs fast per day.
    The watch makers always recommend to have them serviced every 3-5 years, but fuck that. If it is still keeping good time let it roll imo. It's like 450 bucks for a standard service. Fuck that.
    If you can afford the watch, you should be able to afford the maintenance. That's like someone buying a BMW that can't afford $500 to change out the headlight.
    Why should a 5K plus watch need more work than a 19.99 Timex? It's not like having to sync the carbs on a 12 cylinder Italian sports car. That's why they made fuel injection. I'd think they'd have solved this problem by now. The wife's watch hasn't made it more than 2 years without stopping. I call bullshit.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Why should a 5K plus watch need more work than a 19.99 Timex? It's not like having to sync the carbs on a 12 cylinder Italian sports car. That's why they made fuel injection. I'd think they'd have solved this problem by now. The wife's watch hasn't made it more than 2 years without stopping. I call bullshit.
    Shouldn't buy a shitty overpriced watch. Sounds like you suck at life.
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

That grill needs scrubbing! Time to lean then time to clean!
  • Options
    Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Let's see. I own a fast food restaurant. You own a shitty watch you can't afford to maintain. #winning
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Let's see. I own a fast food restaurant. You own a shitty watch you can't afford to maintain. #winning
    You own part of the restaurant. Which part the spatula or the deep fryer?
  • Options
    Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

You own part of the restaurant. Which part the spatula or the deep fryer?
    The room your mom turns tricks in all day long.
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Because getting something is cool.

Paying to just keep it working sucks.

How do you not understand this?

Do you like washing your car and getting oil changes?

Or is it just something you have to do and it sucks because it gives you no value and is just money out of your pocket?
  • Options

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Or is it just something you have to do and it sucks because it gives you no value and is just money out of your pocket?
    You should do the research and know that when buying it. I personally wouldn't buy a watch that needs more maintenance than a battery every few years. But that's just me. That's why I don't own a BMW or Audi, I'd rather have the resale value and maintenance of a Toyota. (For wife's car, I have a Duramax.)
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

You should do the research and know that when buying it. I personally wouldn't buy a watch that needs more maintenance than a battery every few years. But that's just me. That's why I don't own a BMW or Audi, I'd rather have the resale value and maintenance of a Toyota. (For wife's car, I have a Duramax.)
    Jesus. There's a difference between being able to afford it and enjoying shelling out money for basically nothing.

Do you only complain about things you can afford?

You don't ever bitch about a parking ticket, or Comcast raising rates 10 bucks, or other petty shit?
  • Options

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Jesus. There's a difference between being able to afford it and enjoying shelling out money for basically nothing.

You don't ever bitch about a parking ticket, or Comcast raising rates 10 bucks, or other petty shit?
    I don't get parking tickets. I change internet and cable providers when they do shit like that. Yes I bitch about petty shit but I also fix it when I can. I spent an hour driving to Idaho to get my ticket on my quad reduced to zero last year.

I'm all about value, just my nature. And why I own a Seiko rather than something nicer/more expensive. And yes I give my buddy shit about wearing his Rolex through the mountains in North Idaho on his quad or how he wears his Rolex on his boat.
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

I don't get parking tickets. I change internet and cable providers when they do shit like that. Yes I bitch about petty shit but I also fix it when I can. I spent an hour driving to Idaho to get my ticket on my quad reduced to zero last year.

I'm all about value, just my nature. And why I own a Seiko rather than something nicer/more expensive. And yes I give my buddy shit about wearing his Rolex through the mountains in North Idaho on his quad or how he wears his Rolex on his boat.
    They are built like a tank. And it's probably a DIVE WATCH

I don't wear the nice shit out when im drinking because im afraid it'll get stolen, not broken.
  • Options

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

I don't wear the nice shit out when im drinking because im afraid it'll get stolen, not broken.
    To each their own. Of course I'm wearing a faggy Apple watch right now.
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

To each their own. Of course I'm wearing a faggy Apple watch right now.
    Keep it away from the deep fryer.