Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

This just in from ND

Comments

• pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Brian Kelly killed a kid. People forget that.
  • jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Jesus. Fucking ridiculous how some people's perception of gaining weight/muscle works, especially at that age and level of intensity they work out. They make it seem like you bench press a couple times and eat a magic bean and boom 25 lbs overnight. Even if they are on the juice (which people still don't conceptually understand how steroids work) this shit takes time. The hardest part is the volume of food some have to eat to gain that mass, especially if they are eating relatively clean.

Exactly. I need to gain 20 to 25 pounds for baseball recruiting and I am pounding protein shakes and 6000 calories or more each day with workouts at least once a day. I can get maybe 2 pounds a week. Maybe.
  • ThebourbinatorThebourbinator Member Posts: 664
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Remember going to chipotle with Teo (RIP) and he’d have 2-3 burritos in one sitting
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2018

Jesus. Fucking ridiculous how some people's perception of gaining weight/muscle works, especially at that age and level of intensity they work out. They make it seem like you bench press a couple times and eat a magic bean and boom 25 lbs overnight. Even if they are on the juice (which people still don't conceptually understand how steroids work) this shit takes time. The hardest part is the volume of food some have to eat to gain that mass, especially if they are eating relatively clean.

Exactly. I need to gain 20 to 25 pounds for baseball recruiting and I am pounding protein shakes and 6000 calories or more each day with workouts at least once a day. I can get maybe 2 pounds a week. Maybe.
    Considering getting on juice, caz there is no fucking way u going to gain that much muscle mass naturally shit dick
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Considering getting on juice, caz there is no fucking way u going to gain that much muscle mass naturally shit dick
    You can but there are a lot of factors that would have to contribute to it. Odds are he's already weightlifted before and that would be one of the keys to it happening so yeah. 1lb is much more attainable.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

You can but there are a lot of factors that would have to contribute to it. Odds are he's already weightlifted before and that would be one of the keys to it happening so yeah. 1lb is much more attainable.
    1/2 pound is more realistic, but you also at fucking caloric surplus so that means you are gaining fat too. Just growing muscle and no fat does not happen without the juice. Kid might have insane genetics, but does not sound like he is because he needs to gain that much weight for recruiting
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

1/2 pound is more realistic, but you also at fucking caloric surplus so that means you are gaining fat too. Just growing muscle and no fat does not happen without the juice. Kid might have insane genetics, but does not sound like he is because he needs to gain that much weight for recruiting
    1/2 is easier to gain than 1lb. Water is wet.

Being a teenager and growing, frame, previous lifting experience, are you doing cardio, etc. There's a myriad of factors that go into how much muscle someone can add. I'd say the general limit you'd see for someone who is already an athlete that has lifted is going to be in the region of 10% of their body weight(a percentage of which would be fat) in their first year in the program and that's if they are mostly focused on strength building and not game day readiness. Diminishing returns every year thereafter.

Of course you are going to add fat when you add muscle. That doesn't really matter though if it's in proportion. Even if you are juicing that will happen. The only way you are going to meaningfully replace fat with muscle is if you are already at a high enough body fat percentage to achieve body recomp. Insert flex friday gif.

I'll save the lifting haught talk for the lifting boared though. We all agree that people are fugaz on how much weight an already elite athlete can put on and maintain their "elite athlete" status.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Plus there's kind of a limit to how much muscle you can gain in a set amount of time, regardless of how much you lift/eat. Of course you can elevate that by being on gear, but even then there's a limit.

At some point there's a diminishing return in regards to how much muscle you're gaining compared to how much body fat you're gaining.

Also, I really want Spam Chancellor to be a thing. Let's keep him at safety. At least for the memes, if nothing else.
    Exactly. Some of these guys need to eat anywhere from 4-6k calories a day to put on lean mass with their crazy young metabolism, elite genetics, on gear, and insane workout level to MAINTAIN. Im sure they have appetites but when you have to put down those calories in oats, rice, potatoes, chicken, steak, beef etc it can become a fucking chore. Especially if some of them are only really eating 2K-2500 a day like most busy high school athletes.
    I wish I had this problem.