Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Top countries for quality of life (spoiler the US and Venezuela not on it)

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,572
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I want to get an el primero.

But now that I know swaye has one that means I probably have suspect taste.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited July 2018

I want to get an el primero.

But now that I know swaye has one that means I probably have suspect taste.

If it makes you feel any better I got the annual calendar "Captain" Boutique Special version, so just don't get that one. the EP movement is legendary, and a wise addition to any collection.

• Options
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

I'm loving the hot watch talk. I'm an Omega whore myself, but I'm close to pulling the trigger on a blue dial milgauss to enter the Rolex club.

What Omega's?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Mosster47 said:

Doogles said:

I'm loving the hot watch talk. I'm an Omega whore myself, but I'm close to pulling the trigger on a blue dial milgauss to enter the Rolex club.

I've got one of all the Swiss brands and I like my Movado the most.

I want to get a Shinola next. Detroit made, probably shit, but they're trying.
    I'll check Shinola out. Damn dude, ALL the Swiss brands? That's 3 dozen plus luxury brands. That's a lot of watches.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye said:

Mosster47 said:

Doogles said:

I'll check Shinola out. Damn dude, ALL the Swiss brands? That's 3 dozen plus luxury brands. That's a lot of watches.
    I mean the big ones; Rolex, Tag, Omega, Movado, Cartier, and of course Swatch. I had a Breitling but those things are just way too busy for me.

As far as just being a damn nice watch I have a Japanese made Seiko that I bought new about 20 years ago and it's still smooth as silk. I have a pretty fancy Bulova that has little diamonds for the numbers and it's really nice too.

I haven't worn a watch in probably five years. They are just all in the safe, but I'll start wearing them again sometime.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

Mosster47 said:

Doogles said:

I mean the big ones; Rolex, Tag, Omega, Movado, Cartier, and of course Swatch. I had a Breitling but those things are just way too busy for me.

As far as just being a damn nice watch I have a Japanese made Seiko that I bought new about 20 years ago and it's still smooth as silk. I have a pretty fancy Bulova that has little diamonds for the numbers and it's really nice too.

I haven't worn a watch in probably five years. They are just all in the safe, but I'll start wearing them again sometime.
    I love Breitling. I like a blingy watch occasionally. It's funny, the new Breitlings, since George Kern took over, are way more understated. All the people who hated the old ones love the new ones, and vice versa. I'm indifferent I guess, but the new Breitlings look just like IWC's to me. Meh.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,846
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Grand Seiko watches rival anything the Swiss make. Post WW2 Japs are cool. Pre-WW2 Japs are little yellow bastards.

My early 80s Rolex Quilcine Oyster Datejust is feeling really chinsulted.
    Not bashing Rolex at all. I have one. And a Zenith El Primero. And a Breitling Chronomat 41. And an Omega Speedy. I love watches, and I especially love stealing them. But, there is no doubt that mechanically there are very few watches that are any better than a GS, and in many cases a GS will match or beat a Swiss watch that costs 5-10 times more. The Japs know their shit. If I can ever manage to steal a GS, bet your ass I will.

I should also mention, for those that don't know, a Grand Seiko is made by Seiko, but is an entirely different animal. Like 5-8 grand each worth of different animal.

Hand me down present from my old man. If you try and steal it we can no longer be e-friends.

• Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Grand Seiko watches rival anything the Swiss make. Post WW2 Japs are cool. Pre-WW2 Japs are little yellow bastards.

Not bashing Rolex at all. I have one. And a Zenith El Primero. And a Breitling Chronomat 41. And an Omega Speedy. I love watches, and I especially love stealing them. But, there is no doubt that mechanically there are very few watches that are any better than a GS, and in many cases a GS will match or beat a Swiss watch that costs 5-10 times more. The Japs know their shit. If I can ever manage to steal a GS, bet your ass I will.

I should also mention, for those that don't know, a Grand Seiko is made by Seiko, but is an entirely different animal. Like 5-8 grand each worth of different animal.

Hand me down present from my old man. If you try and steal it we can no longer be e-friends.

I only steal from people I don't like.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,631
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I am not a big watch guy. Mine keep good time are usually titanium and contain a lot of tritium. I did however purchase a Rolex for the spousal unit. Damn thing has broken several times. $600.00 bucks to have Rolex turn it around. Rolex quit selling parts years ago so you usually have to send it to them. No more Rolex.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Sledog said:

I am not a big watch guy. Mine keep good time are usually titanium and contain a lot of tritium. I did however purchase a Rolex for the spousal unit. Damn thing has broken several times. $600.00 bucks to have Rolex turn it around. Rolex quit selling parts years ago so you usually have to send it to them. No more Rolex.

Yeah, maintenance on luxury watches is a thing. It sucks.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Every time I've considered buying a watch I've decided to spend the dough on fishing gear instead.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,846
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Sledog said:

I'm dreading the day I gotta send mine in have is services. Seems to be OK for now and is only about 10 secs fast per day.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

I'm dreading the day I gotta send mine in have is services. Seems to be OK for now and is only about 10 secs fast per day.
    The watch makers always recommend to have them serviced every 3-5 years, but fuck that. If it is still keeping good time let it roll imo. It's like 450 bucks for a standard service. Fuck that.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Sledog said:

Another story. I had a really cool Breitling 1461 Montbrilliant Moonphase watch I got in the late 90's. Sweet watch. It finally started getting a bit shabby on time after almost 20 years, so I reached out to the Breitling US service center to see about getting it serviced. They wanted almost a grand to service it (Moonphase complication). I said fuck that and traded the watch in on an Omega. Lesson here is while super complicated watches can look cool, they are even more expensive to have serviced. Thinking most of my future watches will be boring ass three handers.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,176
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Why would anyone on HH need a watch?

When mom bottom dad calls downstairs for dinner, it's about 6PM. When mom top dad calls downstairs to STFU and turn down the volume on Call of Duty, it's about 10PM.

ftfy
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,631
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dflea said:

Every time I've considered buying a watch I've decided to spend the dough on fishing gear instead.

I like guns and toys more than watches.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,176
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I love how fast strategy it is that you own a bunch of luxury watches.

I can't trust myself with anything that nice on my person. I'd either lose it or break it guaranteed.