Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Ho Lee

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
New thread on Oregon… Because I want to add in the fiasco that was their general counsel's office. As a pretend lawyer, I am your Huckleberry of expertise here. Yoar welcome.

Because I long-ago took some sage advice from an old hamd on hardcore husky, I took a long walk with my wife on the beach and got some perspective. One of the few downsides of having taken said walk is that I often don't know interesting tidbits that the losers on this board who have failed to taken that walk hemsleves have known for some time. So, "welcome to 2009" duly stipulated.

But Ho Lee: What a fucking fiasco the Belotti family was to Oregon. Jiminy Christmas. There is now no doubt in my mind that as soon as the Oregon brass realized what they had and Chip Kelly that they found a fast track way to get Mike out of Eugene on a rail. I think The A/D position was perhaps an initial compromise, because, you know, how could you fuck that job up with the pipeline of support coming from Knight? And Belotti was a somewhat beloved figure, so an out and out right firing would have been on popular.

But of course, after reading that Canzano article, which somehow escaped my notice at the tim (remember I took the walk), it has to be that his crazy fucking wife pushed the Oregon brass to conclude that they just needed to cut ties with that family entirely. What a crazy bitch.

And then, the general counsels office. Melinda Grier here. What an incompetent piece of shit. So much for the theory that everyone who graduates from Stanford is top notch. Are you kidding me? The AD position of a school at that level of athletics managing that kind of a budget is in the position for even more than a day without a formal contract? What is this? Fucking Mayberry?

We joke about the shit all the tim. But seriously, the absolute incompetence that occurs in the higher administration of major Division I programs, including our very own University of Washington, is fucking astounding to me. These are not societies best and brightest folks. Not by a long shot. People in the private sector who are managing businesses and budgets anywhere near that ZIP Code get shit canned for a small sliver of that degree of screwup. I see it all the time. You manage a business division of an SP 500 listed company, and if you have even one bad afternoon with the Board of Directors, you are fucking done and gone. Not so it seems, if you can land a cushy job in the athletic department of a major Division I program.

And imagine, I haven't even brought up USC.

But for our collective irrational sentimentality and love for our favorite teams/alma maters/ there would be no cash flow or other support for this "business", and these people would fucking starve because not one of them could make a fucking snow cone at the north pole.

But thanks Oregon. That was some good fucking reading.

Comments