Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Just what I’m hearing...

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I lurked there for a while. I eventually settled upon this analogy:
    If the internet existed in the late 1930s, and I were a nuclear physicist, the most informative web forums for me would be ones that I wouldn’t be proud of visiting. The science would be great, but the whole "talking physics with Nazis" part wouldn’t.

Thanks to my sick sense of humor, it was at first really funny, too, to be able to read intentionally on the nose and faux racist/sexist/homophobic jokes in a country that’s swerving toward the ditch in a series of overcorrections with regard to political correctness and compassion/decency. Eventually, it just started to seem a bit less "faux"… Bottom line, even if no actual racists participate there (and that would be a huge shock to me were it true), that sheer volume of satirical racism eventually blurs the line between itself and the real thing.

Which brings up a question that I had a hard time shaking: For claiming to be the shining beacon on the hill for demanding higher standards from the athletic department and fan base (particularly with regard to recruiting), I wonder how many recruits either stumbled upon or were linked to that forum, scrolled down to the first thread with a subject line listing a PSA’s details that included "dark skinned," and stopped answering the phone when UW called. Or read dozens of threads heaping vitriol on guys like Browning, Manu, Harris, Chin—young amateur athletes busting ass every day for the team they love—for not meeting the lofty standards of some scrawny internet pantywastes and conflated this behavior with that of the average Husky fan. For being the "Hardcore" fans that are going to push this program to the next level by demanding a raising of the bar in recruiting, how many sensible kids have read their shit and said, "If I’m going to be playing for fans like this, might as well live in freaking Alabama"?

In the end, it just gets old. Even the funniest bits and inside jokes are just regurgitated over and over again, with the masses of losers just blindly parroting everything a couple of attention-craving prominent posters blurt out every few days like clockwork (same thing, over and over again). It’s an awful personality cult.

Eventually, waiting a week or two to read my recruiting Twitter recap on UWDP wasn’t so bad compared to the feeling of needing a shower I’d have after spending time on HH.

"the lady doth protest too much methinks"
    Something is rotten in UW Doog Pound.
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I lurked there for a while. I eventually settled upon this analogy:
    If the internet existed in the late 1930s, and I were a nuclear physicist, the most informative web forums for me would be ones that I wouldn’t be proud of visiting. The science would be great, but the whole "talking physics with Nazis" part wouldn’t.

Thanks to my sick sense of humor, it was at first really funny, too, to be able to read intentionally on the nose and faux racist/sexist/homophobic jokes in a country that’s swerving toward the ditch in a series of overcorrections with regard to political correctness and compassion/decency. Eventually, it just started to seem a bit less "faux"… Bottom line, even if no actual racists participate there (and that would be a huge shock to me were it true), that sheer volume of satirical racism eventually blurs the line between itself and the real thing.

Which brings up a question that I had a hard time shaking: For claiming to be the shining beacon on the hill for demanding higher standards from the athletic department and fan base (particularly with regard to recruiting), I wonder how many recruits either stumbled upon or were linked to that forum, scrolled down to the first thread with a subject line listing a PSA’s details that included "dark skinned," and stopped answering the phone when UW called. Or read dozens of threads heaping vitriol on guys like Browning, Manu, Harris, Chin—young amateur athletes busting ass every day for the team they love—for not meeting the lofty standards of some scrawny internet pantywastes and conflated this behavior with that of the average Husky fan. For being the "Hardcore" fans that are going to push this program to the next level by demanding a raising of the bar in recruiting, how many sensible kids have read their shit and said, "If I’m going to be playing for fans like this, might as well live in freaking Alabama"?

In the end, it just gets old. Even the funniest bits and inside jokes are just regurgitated over and over again, with the masses of losers just blindly parroting everything a couple of attention-craving prominent posters blurt out every few days like clockwork (same thing, over and over again). It’s an awful personality cult.

Eventually, waiting a week or two to read my recruiting Twitter recap on UWDP wasn’t so bad compared to the feeling of needing a shower I’d have after spending time on HH.

"the lady doth protest too much methinks"
    Chinned for actually quoting that line correctly. I see that one misquoted more often than not for some reason.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,701
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Ok, so I read the thread on Doog Pound. What a bunch of no sense of humor wusses. I used to read their threads from time to time and they bored me to tears. The content at HH is 81,000 times better.

All you need to know is that they supported Sark.
    Past tense?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

No wonder you chimps are forty and still single.
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,906
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,696
    Swaye's Wigwam

Their anti-Dawgman takes are when they are at their best IMO.
    Lots of trash, but, strangely, some of the most intelligent and hilarious UW posters you’ll find. And the podcast is hilarious. Very hit-or-miss crowd though, and certainly not of the OWW ‘rah rah cheer on the lads!’ type (and I say this as a OWW fan).

The idiocy of Dawgman and Ruth makes sites like them possible.

UWDP is still the standard.

I laffed out loud.

Reminds me of when Chest said the only reason Hardcore Husky was successful was because UW football was terrible.
    Who?