Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

If you believe in the people, believe in article 5

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

It's easy, overturn citizens United. Both parties govern in the best interest of the big donors. Obama made his money on crowdfunding small donations but still governed for the big corporations.

Progressives would love to tax corporations without allowing corporations engage in the same political process that is taking their money. Mute money buckets are best, yes?

If you? want to be symmetrical about it, eliminate corporate taxes, political donations, lobbyists and all that messy redress of grievances business, and shift all tax burden to real persons.

Of course, that will never happen politically because real persons get really pissed when there's real transparency.
    What does the corporate tax rate have to do with lobbying? They are two different issues.

And honestly, I think all lobbying with money should be gone, not just lobbying from corporations.

Look at it this way, the electoral college was setup so the large wealthy states didn't have a disproportionate advantage in voting than smaller states. Why is our lobbying system setup where it favors the wealthy and corporations? Not only federal politics but local City politics too.
    Fuck, Hondao, seriously?
    Talk it out. What's wrong with my position?

I'll agree to this tentatively in principle in exchange for an accompanying amendment of term limits on all members of Congress. 2 terms max. So there won't be any more Pelosis or Clintons or Bushes or Romneys in the future. Break up the oligarchy. Congress is the House of Lords. Break up the cliques before they can consolidate power. But first you need to address the taxation issue that was raised.

While I agree on term limits. As long as there's money in politics the way it is now. The replacements will be bought off the same.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

It's easy, overturn citizens United. Both parties govern in the best interest of the big donors. Obama made his money on crowdfunding small donations but still governed for the big corporations.

Progressives would love to tax corporations without allowing corporations engage in the same political process that is taking their money. Mute money buckets are best, yes?

If you? want to be symmetrical about it, eliminate corporate taxes, political donations, lobbyists and all that messy redress of grievances business, and shift all tax burden to real persons.

Of course, that will never happen politically because real persons get really pissed when there's real transparency.
    What does the corporate tax rate have to do with lobbying? They are two different issues.

And honestly, I think all lobbying with money should be gone, not just lobbying from corporations.

Look at it this way, the electoral college was setup so the large wealthy states didn't have a disproportionate advantage in voting than smaller states. Why is our lobbying system setup where it favors the wealthy and corporations? Not only federal politics but local City politics too.
    Fuck, Hondao, seriously?

What, at least a third? Taxation, revenue and regulation.

Patently unconstitutional.

Feels non sequitur ( @Octavian?) but I guess this is the larger question about "money in politics." Whatever.

The easy but impossible way to remove money from politics is to remove money from politicians.
  • phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I cant even troll in support of this. Chunk is a fat piece of shit.

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck, Hondao, seriously?

Feels non sequitur ( @Octavian?) but I guess this is the larger question about "money in politics." Whatever.

The easy but impossible way to remove money from politics is to remove money from politicians.
    How is blowing up the lobbying system unconstitutional? I know the courts have decided that lobbying money equates to free speech (roughly, it's more complicated of course). I don't know of anything in the Constitution that allows for a system where politicians are legally bribed and bought off.

But maybe you know something I don't.
  • phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Guys, we have this amazing invention, it's called Google. Go ahead and Google it!
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck, Hondao, seriously?

How is blowing up the lobbying system unconstitutional? I know the courts have decided that lobbying money equates to free speech (roughly, it's more complicated of course). I don't know of anything in the Constitution that allows for a system where politicians are legally bribed and bought off.

I was a couple mules in and missed you're money stipulation, but looks like you answered that one yourself.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

On the Yella Party platform we would just tax all political contributions and call it good.

Or just let free people do what they want....
    Like vote without an ID?
    Great false equivalency as always. Also very racist.
    I don’t think you know what a false equivalency is, Michael. See I asked a question, in order for me to say that two things are equivalent I would have to make a statement.

Stop using big words when you don’t know what they mean.
    We all know what you meant and it was fucking stupid.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Hilary outspent Trump 2 to 1

Hillary outspent Bernie by more than that

She lost to both of them

Money can't buy a good candidate

JEB! was the GOP money choice and the first one out

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck, Hondao, seriously?

I was a couple mules in and missed you're money stipulation, but looks like you answered that one yourself.
    I thought you did your best work a couple of mules in?
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck, Hondao, seriously?

I thought you did your best work in a couple of mules?
    FTFY
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Please stop with the Young Turk links. Maybe attend Politics fantasy camp if you can’t get enough of this guy.
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck, Hondao, seriously?

The simple answer is that corporations can lobby because the Supreme Court has recognized them as “citizens” and, as you mentioned, the courts have interpreted it as a free speech issue.
    USMChawk said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck, Hondao, seriously?

The simple answer is that corporations can lobby because the Supreme Court has recognized them as “citizens” and, as you mentioned, the courts have interpreted it as a free speech issue.
    It sounds like you are just repeating what I'm saying.
  • SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper

She lost to both of them

Shoot me now, but I agree with Race. The evidence suggests that money in politics is overblown.

http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/12/does-money-really-buy-elections-a-new-marketplace-podcast/

http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/17/how-much-does-campaign-spending-influence-the-election-a-freakonomics-quorum/

http://liberation.typepad.com/liberation/2007/05/freakonomics_th.html

But there is this: http://freakonomics.com/2014/04/04/some-evidence-on-whether-money-buys-political-influence/

As a citizen, I kinda like the idea that I can organize with fellow citizens to try to influence electoral and legislative outcomes.
  • SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    Squirt said:

Shoot me now, but I agree with Race. The evidence suggests that money in politics is overblown.

http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/12/does-money-really-buy-elections-a-new-marketplace-podcast/

http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/17/how-much-does-campaign-spending-influence-the-election-a-freakonomics-quorum/

But there is this: http://freakonomics.com/2014/04/04/some-evidence-on-whether-money-buys-political-influence/

As a citizen, I kinda like the idea that I can organize with fellow citizens to try to influence electoral and legislative outcomes.

Also, it strikes me as wrong that the government (the City of Seattle, for example) can compel one citizen to finance another citizen's political speech. The "Democracy Voucher" stuff bugs me. I can't imagine it would be upheld if even litigated all the way to the Supreme Court.
    Squirt said:

She lost to both of them

There's a reason the election campaign fund was established and Obama blew that up. That being said, politicians still act on the wishes of the people who donate money. Not the people who elected them.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

USMChawk said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck, Hondao, seriously?

It sounds like you are just repeating what I'm saying.
    It sounds like you don’t know the difference between clarifying and repeating. Should I only post when I disagree with you entirely? Maybe through in a couple of ‘fucktards’ so you know I disagree?

Swaye's Wigwam