Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Which program - should they win another NT - replace SC or ND on Mt Rushmore?

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma
    dnc said:

Let's say UW decides to shut down football and Pete has to find a job. Every school in America offers him, and he decides he doesn't care about anything but winning a title. Where do you think this elite coach is going?

1. Alabama - there's no better place to win
    2. USC - We know Pete doesn't want to coach there, but humor me
    3. tOSU - right there with anybody

So it's the fourth spot that is up for grabs. I think he's going to Oklahoma 100 years before ND. I'm not sure ND is top 10 in this metric at this point.

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

I get it, Rushmore is about what you've done, whereas this poast is about what you can do. But these rankings are far more pertinent.

I think the Money, Tradition, Location future potential will always merit some consideration. Fuck SC in the face though. They are the most underperforming program in the modern history of the sport.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Miami

If Mt Rushmore was only about 1983 to the present, then Miami is a lock with another NT. But it's not; pre 1983 resume matters.

Less and less so.

I have a good and natural temporal cut-off on which we could all agree: pre-integration of the gayme doesn't count, or if you must count them, they should be discounted by 1/3 or something.

When the brothers weren't allowed to play, it wasn't tuff.
    I can get behind 1970 give or take as when "modern" college football began- i.e., most of SEC integrated and unlimited substitution. But Oklahomo won 2 NT's in the 1970s so they were skrong in this era too.

Plus they have a great big on campus stadium. If you care about football at your school you have a have a stadium. BUILD YOUR OWN STADIUM AND GET AN AVATAR YOU GOD DAMNED OLIVE OIL SAVAGE!!
    I don't buy the on-campus stadium thing for obvious reasons.

Real estate in Coral Gables is a little more expensive than it is in Norman.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,682
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma
    dnc said:

But if we're just talking "what have you done" USC, Bama and ND are a notch about tOSU. It's the Buckeyes that are closest to losing their spot to OU on that list. Top of my head without researching it I think I'd actually take OU over tOSU.

I love winsapedia. Looks like you're right

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,682
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2018
    Oklahoma
    Wait - OS is till ahead
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Oklahoma

Wait - OS is till ahead

yr

Like I said, top of my head.

tOSU stays in stone but I can't imagine OU is closer to anybody on Rushmore than them.
    Miami
    dnc said:

Let's say UW decides to shut down football and Pete has to find a job. Every school in America offers him, and he decides he doesn't care about anything but winning a title. Where do you think this elite coach is going?

So it's the fourth spot that is up for grabs. I think he's going to Oklahoma 100 years before ND. I'm not sure ND is top 10 in this metric at this point.

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

I get it, Rushmore is about what you've done, whereas this poast is about what you can do. But these rankings are far more pertinent.

Pete takes Pete with him wherever he goes. So there's that.

If he wants a title and can choose anywhere? Well, it's been show that you can win at Miami. Four guys (and almost a fifth) won a title there in my lifetime.

More talent in the very county in which you reside than you need for three programs. It's warm and in some respects is the east coast analog to USC.

Miami.
    Oklahoma

dnc said:

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

If he wants a title and can choose anywhere? Well, it's been show that you can win at Miami. Four guys (and almost a fifth) won a title there in my lifetime.

More talent in the very county in which you reside than you need for three programs. It's warm and in some respects is the east coast analog to USC.

Miami.
    Yep. Which is why I can't imagine a worse play for him than Miami.

Not exactly #LightSkinnedU
  • AUBURNTROJANAUBURNTROJAN Member Posts: 192
    Write-in Option
    These positions do not change. Once they have been set, they stay that way forever. Learn them, live them, love them.

There's a reason they are called the IRON laws. When has anything referred to as IRON ever collapsed?
    Miami
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

Miami.
    Yep. Which is why I can't imagine a worse play for him than Miami.

Not exactly #LightSkinnedU
    I think Pete's loose approach and his ability to get the players to like him, while still being the clear alpha leader, is perfect for Miami's culture, which still bears some resemblance to the Miami of old. He's like a more hip version of Jimmy Johnson, who like Pete, identified with players on some level as a guy who grew up pore on the wrong side of the tracks. They loved him for it and played hard for him, but they also knew he was in charge and respected him. What Warren Sapp did with Dennis would not have happened on Jimmy's watch.

Pete likes coaching talent and talent likes playing for Pete. Whatever trouble he might find in Miami, I don't think it would be on the field. He'd have the horses to run with and I'd like his chances for a title there.
    Miami

These positions do not change. Once they have been set, they stay that way forever. Learn them, live them, love them.

There's a reason they are called the IRON laws. When has anything referred to as IRON ever collapsed?

Mt. Rushmore would have looked different 100 years ago. Navy and Yale would be on there somewhere.

Iron can change if there is enuff heat.
  • AUBURNTROJANAUBURNTROJAN Member Posts: 192
    Write-in Option

Mt. Rushmore would have looked different 100 years ago. Navy and Yale would be on there somewhere.

Iron can change if there is enuff heat.
    I have no idea what you are referencing.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited June 2018
    Write-in Option
    Invalid pole. Neither one of those two shit programs are currently on Mt. Rushmore. Alabama, LSU, FSU and tOSU are the current top 4, having won the most national titles in the Field era. USC is an ordinary PAC 12 program that has 1 real title to its name. It hasn't been relevant for a decade and a half, and like every other ordinary PAC team, it needs an elite coach to go all the way. The other one is a piece of shit paper tiger that got destroyed by Bama and has no national titles. Whatever voted shit and tradition they have, no one cares. Win it on the field or GTFO.
    Oklahoma

Invalid pole. Neither one of those two shit programs are currently on Mt. Rushmore. Alabama, LSU, FSU and tOSU are the current top 4, having won the most national titles in the Field era. USC is an ordinary PAC 12 program that has 1 real title to its name. It hasn't been relevant for a decade and a half, and like every other ordinary PAC team, it needs an elite coach to go all the way. The other one is a piece of shit paper tiger that got destroyed by Bama and has no national titles. Whatever voted shit and tradition they have, no one cares. Win it on the field or GTFO.

I'll take "People whose opinion doesn't mean shit" for 500 Alex
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma
    dnc said:

I'll take "People whose opinion doesn't mean shit" for 500 Alex
    Such Turd Ferguson.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Write-in Option
    Keep toeing the party line doogs. You're making USC proud. Who the fuck puts Notre Dame and USC ahead of two programs that won multiple titles in the BCS era?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma

Iron Age ended around 1st century BC. Steel is much better. But it didn't collapse like Bronze did.
    Miami

Iron Age ended around 1st century BC. Steel is much better. But it didn't collapse like Bronze did.
    He has no idea what you're referencing.
    Miami

Keep toeing the party line doogs. You're making USC proud. Who the fuck puts Notre Dame and USC ahead of two programs that won multiple titles in the BCS era?

People without a vested interest in discrediting football before 1998? I'll give it to you that you are at least consistent in applying your stupid standard.
    Totally agree.

1980 or thereabouts is a much better cut-off.