Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

NBA Playoff Megathread

1555657585961»

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

salemcoog said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Here's the deal. Take LeBron off the Cavs and they're a 20 win team.

Take MJ off the Bulls for allegedly gambling and the Bulls still came within a game of the ECF.

Jordan had an incredible team around him and the GOAT coach.

This is all basically true.

Also true that the Bulls won 13 games after Jordan retired the other time.

Like I already acknowledged they were a very good team around him, much better than most LeBron has played with.

They weren't great without him.
    Bull winning 13 (actually 17) the year after his second retirement was due to the entire team being gutted and Phil leaving.
    Of course it was.

The team wasn't that good anymore anyway though. Pippen was a shell of his former self by that point, which is why he never did shit anywhere else.

That 98 Bulls team was not a great team. MJ won the ring anyway.
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Take MJ off the Bulls for allegedly gambling and the Bulls still came within a game of the ECF.

Like I already acknowledged they were a very good team around him, much better than most LeBron has played with.

Bull winning 13 (actually 17) the year after his second retirement was due to the entire team being gutted and Phil leaving.
    Of course it was.

The team wasn't that good anymore anyway though. Pippen was a shell of his former self by that point, which is why he never did shit anywhere else.

Hold up because this needs to be talked about in the context of the narrative of crowning LBJ for getting to the Finals this year

You are absolutely right that Scottie’s back was completely F’ed up during the ‘98 season and Playoffs as he only played 44 regular season games. Rodman was going off the rails at points during the season as he started getting removed from the starting lineup. The youngest players in their rotation were 29 year olds Toni Kukoc, Luc Longley, and the immortal Randy Brown.

Yet, at the age of 34 MJ dropped 32.4 points per game. In the games that really mattered, in typical MJ fashion, he was at his best. Game 7 against Indiana he put down a 28-9-8 performance and willed his team to victory against arguably a better team at that point. Then in the clinching Game 6 against Utah, there is obviously the final sequence that is immortal ... but lost in all of that is MJ’s 45 points.

That Bulls team was worse than this Cavs team. Yes, the Warriors are better than that Utah team. But for anybody to act like MJ never overcame a deck stacked against him is just flat out wrong.

What a performance. 29-9-8 against the Indiana Pacers? That's a very average game for LeBron.
    It was in an age that allowed hand checking and knock your ass flat fouls at the rim without too many consequences. There was about half the 3 pt shots being launched as well. If both teams scored over a hundred points in a playoff game, it was an event.

As opposed to nowadays where you can’t hardly be touched going to the rim without a foul called and if there’s anything resembling hard contact, it’s a flagrant or sometimes ejection. You can’t fairly compare fg effectiveness between the eras. You had to be much stronger with the ball back then and be willing to get the crap knocked out of you if driving to the rack contested.
    Jordan lived at the foul line. Didn't Phoenix shoot like 60 FT's against the Sonics in 93?

Not that I am still bitter about it or anything
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

salemcoog said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

Hold up because this needs to be talked about in the context of the narrative of crowning LBJ for getting to the Finals this year

You are absolutely right that Scottie’s back was completely F’ed up during the ‘98 season and Playoffs as he only played 44 regular season games. Rodman was going off the rails at points during the season as he started getting removed from the starting lineup. The youngest players in their rotation were 29 year olds Toni Kukoc, Luc Longley, and the immortal Randy Brown.

Yet, at the age of 34 MJ dropped 32.4 points per game. In the games that really mattered, in typical MJ fashion, he was at his best. Game 7 against Indiana he put down a 28-9-8 performance and willed his team to victory against arguably a better team at that point. Then in the clinching Game 6 against Utah, there is obviously the final sequence that is immortal ... but lost in all of that is MJ’s 45 points.

That Bulls team was worse than this Cavs team. Yes, the Warriors are better than that Utah team. But for anybody to act like MJ never overcame a deck stacked against him is just flat out wrong.

What a performance. 29-9-8 against the Indiana Pacers? That's a very average game for LeBron.
    It was in an age that allowed hand checking and knock your ass flat fouls at the rim without too many consequences. There was about half the 3 pt shots being launched as well. If both teams scored over a hundred points in a playoff game, it was an event.

As opposed to nowadays where you can’t hardly be touched going to the rim without a foul called and if there’s anything resembling hard contact, it’s a flagrant or sometimes ejection. You can’t fairly compare fg effectiveness between the eras. You had to be much stronger with the ball back then and be willing to get the crap knocked out of you if driving to the rack contested.
    Jordan lived at the foul line. Didn't Phoenix shoot like 60 FT's against the Sonics in 93?
    Yes, the game was rigged for Jordan - Barkley. Not the first or last time the NBA rigs a game.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

salemcoog said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

I wouldn’t doubt that. They called fouls back then too. Those were 2 uptempo teams that were actually successful at the time, when most that did it were lottery teams. Also around that time, there was a pendulum swing in tighter officiating due to the Bad Boys of Detroit. But it was too far and things went back to normal for awhile.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    The Pacers one is pretty funny. The Lakers artwork is bomb.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gordon Hayward has never won shit and didn't play all year and may not be on the team next year since his replacement is better than him

Irving is injury prone. His greatest value was in leaving Cleveland and sticking them with IT. He may not be a part either.

The guys they have are playing great. You can't over achieve any more than you can give 110%.

You are who you are. Boston is good players, high picks, playing great ball. Its a players league and that's that

Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens thinks the praise he's received for his team's continued success this season is "silly" and "uncomfortable," and it seems as though one of the greatest players in the franchise's history agrees with him.

Robert Parish, a Hall of Famer who won three championships with the Celtics in the 1980s, downplayed Stevens' value on Monday.

"I think he's getting a little too much praise," Parish said on Sirius XM NBA Radio, "but I like what he's doing. They giving him all the love like he won three or four championships. Come on, now. Win something first, all the love he's getting."

"Don't get me wrong, he's a solid coach," Parish continued. "I'll give him that. ... I'm not saying Brad Stevens should not be getting praise for the job that he's done, because I feel like he's done an outstanding job. I'm just saying the amount of praise he's getting, you'd think he won a championship or two. They don't give (Golden State Warriors coach) Steve Kerr that much love. Come on."

https://usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/05/15/celtics-legend-robert-parish-brad-stevens-too-much-praise/612444002/

Bump

Celtics did not get better with Irving and the white kid coming back. Ruined the chemistry

And Stevens is not a genius
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,348
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Celtics talent is overrated.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Brad Stevens is learning the difference between coaching in college and the NBA this year. Ego management. Kyrie has wrecked that team and stunted the development of guys like Tatum and Brown.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gordon Hayward has never won shit and didn't play all year and may not be on the team next year since his replacement is better than him

Irving is injury prone. His greatest value was in leaving Cleveland and sticking them with IT. He may not be a part either.

The guys they have are playing great. You can't over achieve any more than you can give 110%.

You are who you are. Boston is good players, high picks, playing great ball. Its a players league and that's that

Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens thinks the praise he's received for his team's continued success this season is "silly" and "uncomfortable," and it seems as though one of the greatest players in the franchise's history agrees with him.

Robert Parish, a Hall of Famer who won three championships with the Celtics in the 1980s, downplayed Stevens' value on Monday.

"I think he's getting a little too much praise," Parish said on Sirius XM NBA Radio, "but I like what he's doing. They giving him all the love like he won three or four championships. Come on, now. Win something first, all the love he's getting."

"Don't get me wrong, he's a solid coach," Parish continued. "I'll give him that. ... I'm not saying Brad Stevens should not be getting praise for the job that he's done, because I feel like he's done an outstanding job. I'm just saying the amount of praise he's getting, you'd think he won a championship or two. They don't give (Golden State Warriors coach) Steve Kerr that much love. Come on."

https://usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/05/15/celtics-legend-robert-parish-brad-stevens-too-much-praise/612444002/

Bump

Celtics did not get better with Irving and the white kid coming back. Ruined the chemistry

And Stevens is not a genius
    Bump bump

Pup?