Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

NBA Playoff Megathread

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

BaldwinIV said:

yes lebron is primarily responsible for the make up of the team

but you cant scratch two sticks together and make gold. kyrie irving left and in return they got an average point guard, a bench player, and a complete nothing. its widely reported lebron wanted the cavs to trade their pick for deandre

and this is all besides the point. lebron literally had one of the best seasons in history, in any context, and given what i listed many still believe he needed an excuse for getting swept in the finals lmfao

it is literally 4 hall of famers against lebron, the magically disappearing and randomly appearing kevin love, and the nba's version of a YMCA team. why the fuck would lebron need an excuse? it's clear to virtually everyone he's the best player on the planet for simply making the finals

some of ya'll should just admit you hate him because you're MJ fans and feel threatened

I hate MJ
    Agree.

For fuck's sake I'm a fucking Lakers fan. I grew up absolutely hating MJ. He's still the all tim best though. I 100% hoped Kobe would manage to surpass his ass. He didn't. Neither has Lebron.

Some of you just need to admit you've been on the Lebron = Goat narrative since before he ever earned it on the court.

I'll still be enthusiastic as fuck if he comes to LA with at least one other major free agent.
    I wasn't on the LeBron GOAT narrative before he beat GS in the finals. I hated him for a long time, but at a certain point it was undeniable.

Then you add in his next two years and predict the future. He's the best.

MJ had a lot more charisma and won more titles. There really wasn't one thing he did better than LeBron on the court.
    Let’s see ... what did MJ do better than LBJ

Scored better

Better defender

Better competitive streak

And yeah, that winning thing kinda matters
    Not a better defender. LeBron was the best defender in the league for awhile. Not a better scorer, especially as they got older. LeBron is more efficient as well.

Equal shooters. LeBron has gotten much better. LeBron is a better passer and rebounder.

I'll give you competive streak, although LeBron has put the Cavs on his back every year he's been with them.

LeBron's main fault is he's a drama queen. A lot of the dissension and turmoil could be avoided if he wasn't a passive aggressive pussy at times. Part of that is the twitter/hot take media.
    Yeah, LeBron's actually a significantly better shooter. Jordan's effective shooting percentage was .509, Bron's is .540. Of course Jordan's got the two past his prime Washington years dragging his numbers down but even without them Bron had the edge.

Agree about Bron's biggest fault.
    GTFO regarding effective FG % ... that’s a metric that magnifies how the game has changed with the 3 point shot and how the rules and play have largely changed both offensively and defensively between eras.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

Here's the deal. Take LeBron off the Cavs and they're a 20 win team.

Take MJ off the Bulls for allegedly gambling and the Bulls still came within a game of the ECF.

Jordan had an incredible team around him and the GOAT coach.

This is all basically true.

Also true that the Bulls won 13 games after Jordan retired the other time.

Like I already acknowledged they were a very good team around him, much better than most LeBron has played with.

They weren't great without him.
    Bull winning 13 (actually 17) the year after his second retirement was due to the entire team being gutted and Phil leaving.
    Of course it was.

The team wasn't that good anymore anyway though. Pippen was a shell of his former self by that point, which is why he never did shit anywhere else.

That 98 Bulls team was not a great team. MJ won the ring anyway.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Take MJ off the Bulls for allegedly gambling and the Bulls still came within a game of the ECF.

Like I already acknowledged they were a very good team around him, much better than most LeBron has played with.

Bull winning 13 (actually 17) the year after his second retirement was due to the entire team being gutted and Phil leaving.
    Of course it was.

The team wasn't that good anymore anyway though. Pippen was a shell of his former self by that point, which is why he never did shit anywhere else.

The 1999–2000 NBA season was the 30th season for the Portland Trail Blazers in the National Basketball Association.[1] During the offseason, the Blazers acquired All-Star forward Scottie Pippen from the Houston Rockets,[2] Steve Smith from the Atlanta Hawks, and signed free agent Detlef Schrempf. Portland went 59–23, which tied them for the second-highest win percentage in franchise history. Finishing second in the Pacific Division, they earned the #3 seed in the Western Conference on the basis that the 55–27 Utah Jazz won the Midwest Division title. (However, the Blazers enjoyed homecourt advantage over Utah in their second-round playoff series). The Blazers made the playoffs for the 18th consecutive year. Rasheed Wallace was selected to play in the 2000 NBA All-Star Game.

In the playoffs, the Blazers defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves 3–1 in the first-round, and the Jazz 4–1 in the second round. In the Western Conference finals against the Los Angeles Lakers, they came back from a 3–1 series deficit to force Game 7.

Up by 15 points with ten minutes remaining in Game 7, the Blazers suffered a 15–0 run by Los Angeles that tied the score, and the Lakers pulled out an 89–84 victory to advance to the 2000 NBA Finals. This series has been widely criticized for its controversial officiating and many critics of the series feel that the NBA may have tampered with the series and especially with game 7.[3] Following the season, Jermaine O'Neal was traded to the Indiana Pacers, and Brian Grant was dealt to the Miami Heat.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

The 1999–2000 NBA season was the 30th season for the Portland Trail Blazers in the National Basketball Association.[1] During the offseason, the Blazers acquired All-Star forward Scottie Pippen from the Houston Rockets,[2] Steve Smith from the Atlanta Hawks, and signed free agent Detlef Schrempf. Portland went 59–23, which tied them for the second-highest win percentage in franchise history. Finishing second in the Pacific Division, they earned the #3 seed in the Western Conference on the basis that the 55–27 Utah Jazz won the Midwest Division title. (However, the Blazers enjoyed homecourt advantage over Utah in their second-round playoff series). The Blazers made the playoffs for the 18th consecutive year. Rasheed Wallace was selected to play in the 2000 NBA All-Star Game.

In the playoffs, the Blazers defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves 3–1 in the first-round, and the Jazz 4–1 in the second round. In the Western Conference finals against the Los Angeles Lakers, they came back from a 3–1 series deficit to force Game 7.

Up by 15 points with ten minutes remaining in Game 7, the Blazers suffered a 15–0 run by Los Angeles that tied the score, and the Lakers pulled out an 89–84 victory to advance to the 2000 NBA Finals. This series has been widely criticized for its controversial officiating and many critics of the series feel that the NBA may have tampered with the series and especially with game 7.[3] Following the season, Jermaine O'Neal was traded to the Indiana Pacers, and Brian Grant was dealt to the Miami Heat.
    You're right, I forgot Pippen had that huge 12.5 ppg season for Portland. Totally the same guy.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

dnc said:

BaldwinIV said:

but you cant scratch two sticks together and make gold. kyrie irving left and in return they got an average point guard, a bench player, and a complete nothing. its widely reported lebron wanted the cavs to trade their pick for deandre

and this is all besides the point. lebron literally had one of the best seasons in history, in any context, and given what i listed many still believe he needed an excuse for getting swept in the finals lmfao

it is literally 4 hall of famers against lebron, the magically disappearing and randomly appearing kevin love, and the nba's version of a YMCA team. why the fuck would lebron need an excuse? it's clear to virtually everyone he's the best player on the planet for simply making the finals

some of ya'll should just admit you hate him because you're MJ fans and feel threatened

I hate MJ
    Agree.

For fuck's sake I'm a fucking Lakers fan. I grew up absolutely hating MJ. He's still the all tim best though. I 100% hoped Kobe would manage to surpass his ass. He didn't. Neither has Lebron.

Some of you just need to admit you've been on the Lebron = Goat narrative since before he ever earned it on the court.

I'll still be enthusiastic as fuck if he comes to LA with at least one other major free agent.
    I wasn't on the LeBron GOAT narrative before he beat GS in the finals. I hated him for a long time, but at a certain point it was undeniable.

MJ had a lot more charisma and won more titles. There really wasn't one thing he did better than LeBron on the court.
    I hope you drive better than you historically rate NBA players. Jordan, whom you obviously never saw play live without a rattle in your hand, was a perennial scoring leader and 1st team all NBA defender who refused to lose. LeBron is a supremely gifted basketball player who has tried to be a GM at the same time. It’s been good enough to rule a perennially weak East. But rarely good enough to beat the best in the West. Nothing about LeBron spells GOAT. Not yet.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

Sounds like Wiki needs to check @haie before they let him write for them. The Game 7 loss had nothing to do with the refs. It was just one of a long line of Blazer chokes. They missed double digit shots in a row in that 4th quarter. The refs had nothing to do with it.
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

Hold up because this needs to be talked about in the context of the narrative of crowning LBJ for getting to the Finals this year

You are absolutely right that Scottie’s back was completely F’ed up during the ‘98 season and Playoffs as he only played 44 regular season games. Rodman was going off the rails at points during the season as he started getting removed from the starting lineup. The youngest players in their rotation were 29 year olds Toni Kukoc, Luc Longley, and the immortal Randy Brown.

Yet, at the age of 34 MJ dropped 32.4 points per game. In the games that really mattered, in typical MJ fashion, he was at his best. Game 7 against Indiana he put down a 28-9-8 performance and willed his team to victory against arguably a better team at that point. Then in the clinching Game 6 against Utah, there is obviously the final sequence that is immortal ... but lost in all of that is MJ’s 45 points.

That Bulls team was worse than this Cavs team. Yes, the Warriors are better than that Utah team. But for anybody to act like MJ never overcame a deck stacked against him is just flat out wrong.

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

Hold up because this needs to be talked about in the context of the narrative of crowning LBJ for getting to the Finals this year

You are absolutely right that Scottie’s back was completely F’ed up during the ‘98 season and Playoffs as he only played 44 regular season games. Rodman was going off the rails at points during the season as he started getting removed from the starting lineup. The youngest players in their rotation were 29 year olds Toni Kukoc, Luc Longley, and the immortal Randy Brown.

Yet, at the age of 34 MJ dropped 32.4 points per game. In the games that really mattered, in typical MJ fashion, he was at his best. Game 7 against Indiana he put down a 28-9-8 performance and willed his team to victory against arguably a better team at that point. Then in the clinching Game 6 against Utah, there is obviously the final sequence that is immortal ... but lost in all of that is MJ’s 45 points.

That Bulls team was worse than this Cavs team. Yes, the Warriors are better than that Utah team. But for anybody to act like MJ never overcame a deck stacked against him is just flat out wrong.

That Bulls team was mediocre but it was better than the Cavs
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,656
    salemcoog said:

dnc said:

BaldwinIV said:

I hate MJ
    Agree.

I hope you drive better than you historically rate NBA players. Jordan, whom you obviously never saw play live without a rattle in your hand, was a perennial scoring leader and 1st team all NBA defender who refused to lose. LeBron is a supremely gifted basketball player who has tried to be a GM at the same time. It’s been good enough to rule a perennially weak East. But rarely good enough to beat the best in the West. Nothing about LeBron spells GOAT. Not yet.
    Lebron is slightly ahead of Jerry West in terms of loser GOAT performances.

Except Jerry West waited until an appropriate time to put on the GM hat.
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

Yep because MJ >>> LBJ

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

The whole league started to suck at that point. Not many talk about this, but it did. The Finals games against the Jazz were dreck. Jordan being clutch is the only thing that saved them. Utah actually only scored 54 points in an entire game.
    I wonder why that happened???
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

Yep because MJ >>> LBJ
    I'm saying Bulls minus MJ > Cavs minus Bron
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Its funny that Indiana is always "almost" beating the eventual champs in the East going back a long long time.

They were the best ABA franchise with three titles
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

Yep because MJ >>> LBJ
    Highly disagree
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

Yep because MJ >>> LBJ
    Highly disagree
    Highly disagree with you're disagree.

Phil over Lue is almost enough in and of itself.
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

Yep because MJ >>> LBJ
    Highly disagree
    Highly disagree with you're disagree.

Phil over Lue is almost enough in and of itself.
    The last part I 100% agree with

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

What a performance. 29-9-8 against the Indiana Pacers? That's a very average game for LeBron.
    It was in an age that allowed hand checking and knock your ass flat fouls at the rim without too many consequences. There was about half the 3 pt shots being launched as well. If both teams scored over a hundred points in a playoff game, it was an event.

As opposed to nowadays where you can’t hardly be touched going to the rim without a foul called and if there’s anything resembling hard contact, it’s a flagrant or sometimes ejection. You can’t fairly compare fg effectiveness between the eras. You had to be much stronger with the ball back then and be willing to get the crap knocked out of you if driving to the rack contested.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Of course it was.

What a performance. 29-9-8 against the Indiana Pacers? That's a very average game for LeBron.
    It was in an age that allowed hand checking and knock your ass flat fouls at the rim without too many consequences. There was about half the 3 pt shots being launched as well. If both teams scored over a hundred points in a playoff game, it was an event.

As opposed to nowadays where you can’t hardly be touched going to the rim without a foul called and if there’s anything resembling hard contact, it’s a flagrant or sometimes ejection. You can’t fairly compare fg effectiveness between the eras. You had to be much stronger with the ball back then and be willing to get the crap knocked out of you if driving to the rack contested.
    Jordan lived at the foul line. Didn't Phoenix shoot like 60 FT's against the Sonics in 93?