Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hip hop next?

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

Actually now that I think more about it I think the best solution is to stay with decades but for the 80s bracket it’s anyone who had anything of significance in the 80s and for the other decades it’s the last decade you had anything of significance. This solves both major problems: thins out the 90s and beefs up the 10s.

I didn't read the whole thing. But what about the group/artist issue? I assume it's not Wu Tang, it's method man, Redman, ODB. Instead of nwa, it's Dre, cube, eazy.
    So I suck at the interwebs. But wasn't there a couple Sonic songs? Not the shit ass President's song either. I thought there was a remake of JJ Fad into a sonics song. But I can't find it.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    2001400ex said:

dnc said:

Actually now that I think more about it I think the best solution is to stay with decades but for the 80s bracket it’s anyone who had anything of significance in the 80s and for the other decades it’s the last decade you had anything of significance. This solves both major problems: thins out the 90s and beefs up the 10s.

I didn't read the whole thing. But what about the group/artist issue? I assume it's not Wu Tang, it's method man, Redman, ODB. Instead of nwa, it's Dre, cube, eazy.
    It's a tuff question (shoutout to Gilby!). My thinking is to include both, with groups only getting credit for what was done in the group but individuals getting credit for their entire contribution to the genre.

Wu never embraced Redman as an official member. People forget that.
  • jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    @dnc for seeding is it based on popularity or how HH would see it? Or is it a combo of both?
    edited May 2018

@dnc for seeding is it based on popularity or how HH would see it? Or is it a combo of both?

Quality. The question is "who's best?" Obviously that's subjective, but I think you're taking some combination of influence, popularity, creativity and talent of which you're going to be determining it. We have metrics on popularity (downloads, views, sales, etc). But it's deeper than that. If all it was about was popularity then Hammer and Master P and Beastie Boys would all be high seeds. It's more than that. But I wouldn't be trying to rank them for what HH will think. We're answering the question "who is best?"
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,792
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Swaye said:

Dude, I was a total metal head rolling around singing "Woke up quick, at about noon, just thought that I had to be in Compton soon..."

NWA is so deeply game changing, there is no way they don't win. I get that there have probably been much better rappers (I don't know a ton of rap but I assume), but shit man, NWA is legend.

As chinfluential as NWA was, they feel like a #2 seed at best. They really only had 1 classic album. If I was in charge of the future Hip Hop tourney seedings - I won't because there are others here way more dialed in than me on the genre - I think Public Enemy should be a lock for a #1 seed. If we are being truly objective, B-Boys gotta be a #1 seed too, cultural appropriation or not. White peeps buy a ton of hip hop records too.
    Beastie boys shouldn't even be in the tourney you SS white fuckhead.
    dnc said:

Worthy of consideration fo a 1 seed:

Groups
    Public Enemy
    Run DMC
    NWA
    Wu Tang
    Outkast

Chindividuals
    Snoop
    Pac
    Biggie
    Lil Wayne
    Kanye
    Jay Z
    Eminem

That's the list. You could maybe talk me into an Eric B and Rakim, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, the Roots or Big Daddy Kane if I"m feeling generous, but there's really nobody else who transcends the genre the way these do.

If black people don't like your shit you're not a fucking one seed in a rap battle.

Nas>

dnc said:

Worthy of consideration fo a 1 seed:

Groups
    Public Enemy
    Run DMC
    NWA
    Wu Tang
    Outkast

Chindividuals
    Snoop
    Pac
    Biggie
    Lil Wayne
    Kanye
    Jay Z
    Eminem

That's the list. You could maybe talk me into an Eric B and Rakim, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, the Roots or Big Daddy Kane if I"m feeling generous, but there's really nobody else who transcends the genre the way these do.

If black people don't like your shit you're not a fucking one seed in a rap battle.

Nas>
    If only I had posted "Fuck I forgot Nas" right after this

dnc said:

Well I'm thinking of this in terms of decades:

80s
    90s
    00s
    teens

The 90s is going to be fucking stacked. Easily the golden age. The teens is going to be the weakest by far. Timbaland probably makes the bracket if its straight 64 but I don't think he cracks the 90s top 16.

Pac
    Biggie
    Outkast (could put them in 00s for balance though)
    Dre
    Ice Cube
    Goodie Mobb
    Bushwick Bill
    Jadakiss
    Warren G
    Too Short
    Wu collectively, plus Method Man, and ODB individually
    Redman
    Juvy
    E40
    Mace
    Mobb Deep
    Tribe Called Quest
    Naughty By Nature
    and while not my tastes you have to add Puff Daddy, Master P and Salt N Pepa as well.

All those are probably ahead of Timbaland in the 90s line, IMO and that's just off the top of my head so I'm sure I'm overlooking a few people. I'd argue for 8 Ball and MJG too though they straddle the 90s 00 line as well. Tim might fair better in the 00s.

Stacked era.

The teens will still have Kendrick, and even though old fogies might not be Kendrick fans he's one of if not the best rapper in the game right now. Everything he touches turns to fire. He's a genius. It seems like every album is better than the last. m.A.A.d city was considered one of the best albums of the decade, then he dropped Pimp a Butterfly, then he dropped DAMN.

Migos hasn't really been around with that level of popularity for as long, since Culture was really what propelled them into superstardom, even though YRN did gain a lot of popularity. They really didn't get anything until Versace in 2013, then Look at my Dab got them popular right as Culture came out.

J Cole is interesting because 2014 Forest Hills Drive was really good (double plat with no features) but KOD and Eyez Only were much less acclaimed by fans (although popular). KOD is better than Eyez Only in terms of Twitterscape reception, with ATM and Kevin's Heart being general favorites. He has his own very distinct style when it comes to beats and lyricism. Friday Night Lights was a really fucking good mixtape.

Drake is obviously super popular, and he's interesting because I personally kind of liked most of his music but wasn't crazy about it, but as I listed more it gets better. God's Plan is super popular right now. It seems like every single he releases is its own distinct hit.

Kanye is Kanye. Twisted Fantasy (possible album of the decade), Throne, Yeezus, and Pablo all since 2010. Super controversial but all time best seller.

Chance the Rapper is super popular but for whatever reason I'm not really into a lot of his music. I'm so fucking white.

If you count Frank Ocean he's had two super highly acclaimed albums recently with channel ORANGE and blonde.

Post Malone is super popular right now and outside of Logic and Eminem is easily the best white Hip Hop guy. beerbongs and bentleys was fucking great. Lots of hits.

DJ Khaled has been successful but fuck that guy, he just dickrides more talented acts with his beats.

Macklemore is trash but white people.

Childish Gambino is really fucking good. This is America just came out but just shows what he can do as an artist.

Rae Srummurd's album just came out but he makes good music. Powerglide is great despite being overplayed, then there are songs like Black Beatle.

Lil Uzi is really new to the game, but has already dropped several bangers, even though his last song was shit. Tour Llif3 was really good.

Earl Sweatshirt is a guy that I haven't listened to but my friends swear he is super talented. Same goes with Logic.

NF has talent but Christian rap doesn't really count. The white boy in me loves his music.

Future is another really good one. I love his shit.

If you're into the more comedic genre Lil Dicky is really really talented but fucks around a lot. Freaky Friday with Chris Brown was really good shit.

My friends all hate Kodak but he is talented, even if his music is trash.

Cardi B and Nicki Minaj fucking suck. So does Iggy Azalea.

I probably forgot some but that's what the teens has.
    Fuck Kendrick and J-Cole they are for white teens.

Kodak is a dickhead but he's amazing.

Dave East is amazing he's easily a top 4 seed.

Meek Mill is a madman.

Migos and Future are the only decent trap rappers.

Logic sucks.

Post Malone isn't rap he's shitty R&B.

G Herbo is that dude.

Sosa bangs and he is the mumble trap rap movement.

Madintyo is really really fucking good

I like NBA young boi a lot.

Tee Grizzley is a story-teller

21 savage is meh.

Big Sean is hit and miss.

Gucci Mane bangs.

Bryson Tiller is amazing.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

80s
    90s
    00s
    teens

The 90s is going to be fucking stacked. Easily the golden age. The teens is going to be the weakest by far. Timbaland probably makes the bracket if its straight 64 but I don't think he cracks the 90s top 16.

Pac
    Biggie
    Dre
    Ice Cube
    Goodie Mobb
    Bushwick Bill
    Jadakiss
    Warren G
    Too Short
    Redman
    Juvy
    E40
    Mace
    Mobb Deep
    Tribe Called Quest
    Naughty By Nature
    and while not my tastes you have to add Puff Daddy, Master P and Salt N Pepa as well.

All those are probably ahead of Timbaland in the 90s line, IMO and that's just off the top of my head so I'm sure I'm overlooking a few people. I'd argue for 8 Ball and MJG too though they straddle the 90s 00 line as well. Tim might fair better in the 00s.

Stacked era.

The teens will still have Kendrick, and even though old fogies might not be Kendrick fans he's one of if not the best rapper in the game right now. Everything he touches turns to fire. He's a genius. It seems like every album is better than the last. m.A.A.d city was considered one of the best albums of the decade, then he dropped Pimp a Butterfly, then he dropped DAMN.

Migos hasn't really been around with that level of popularity for as long, since Culture was really what propelled them into superstardom, even though YRN did gain a lot of popularity. They really didn't get anything until Versace in 2013, then Look at my Dab got them popular right as Culture came out.

J Cole is interesting because 2014 Forest Hills Drive was really good (double plat with no features) but KOD and Eyez Only were much less acclaimed by fans (although popular). KOD is better than Eyez Only in terms of Twitterscape reception, with ATM and Kevin's Heart being general favorites. He has his own very distinct style when it comes to beats and lyricism. Friday Night Lights was a really fucking good mixtape.

Drake is obviously super popular, and he's interesting because I personally kind of liked most of his music but wasn't crazy about it, but as I listed more it gets better. God's Plan is super popular right now. It seems like every single he releases is its own distinct hit.

Kanye is Kanye. Twisted Fantasy (possible album of the decade), Throne, Yeezus, and Pablo all since 2010. Super controversial but all time best seller.

Chance the Rapper is super popular but for whatever reason I'm not really into a lot of his music. I'm so fucking white.

If you count Frank Ocean he's had two super highly acclaimed albums recently with channel ORANGE and blonde.

Post Malone is super popular right now and outside of Logic and Eminem is easily the best white Hip Hop guy. beerbongs and bentleys was fucking great. Lots of hits.

DJ Khaled has been successful but fuck that guy, he just dickrides more talented acts with his beats.

Childish Gambino is really fucking good. This is America just came out but just shows what he can do as an artist.

Rae Srummurd's album just came out but he makes good music. Powerglide is great despite being overplayed, then there are songs like Black Beatle.

Lil Uzi is really new to the game, but has already dropped several bangers, even though his last song was shit. Tour Llif3 was really good.

Earl Sweatshirt is a guy that I haven't listened to but my friends swear he is super talented. Same goes with Logic.

NF has talent but Christian rap doesn't really count. The white boy in me loves his music.

If you're into the more comedic genre Lil Dicky is really really talented but fucks around a lot. Freaky Friday with Chris Brown was really good shit.

Meek Mill is a madman.

Logic sucks.

G Herbo is that dude.

21 savage is meh.

Gucci Mane bangs.

The point of these brackets is to talk about overall popularity, not discuss our niche favorites.

Literally no one else on here has heard of half your list. Even if they’re arguably better than the mainstream crap like Macklemore, J Cole, and Post... they won’t be remembered like the main guys will.

Everyone has subjective opinions about music, you kinda have to aggregate to be fair.
    NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

80s
    90s
    00s
    teens

Pac
    Biggie
    Dre
    Ice Cube
    Goodie Mobb
    Bushwick Bill
    Jadakiss
    Warren G
    Too Short
    Redman
    Juvy
    E40
    Mace
    Mobb Deep
    Tribe Called Quest
    Naughty By Nature

Stacked era.

Meek Mill is a madman.

Logic sucks.

G Herbo is that dude.

21 savage is meh.

Gucci Mane bangs.

The point of these brackets is to talk about overall popularity, not discuss our niche favorites.

Literally no one else on here has heard of half your list. Even if they’re arguably better than the mainstream crap like Macklemore, J Cole, and Post... they won’t be remembered like the main guys will.

Everyone has subjective opinions about music, you kinda have to aggregate to be fair.
    Exactly. I know the guys he mentioned but it's more of a mainstream thing than subjective opinions.
    dnc said:

dnc said:

80s
    90s
    00s
    teens

Pac
    Biggie
    Dre
    Ice Cube
    Goodie Mobb
    Bushwick Bill
    Jadakiss
    Warren G
    Too Short
    Redman
    Juvy
    E40
    Mace
    Mobb Deep
    Tribe Called Quest
    Naughty By Nature

Stacked era.

Meek Mill is a madman.

Logic sucks.

G Herbo is that dude.

21 savage is meh.

Gucci Mane bangs.

I don’t understand what’s happening
    Look at the source. Kinda like Hondo in the tug.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    Surprised Bone Thuggs didn't make anyone's list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_cOsgRY7w

Surprised Bone Thuggs didn't make anyone's list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_cOsgRY7w

Very worthy 90s contender
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,570
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Where does soulja boy rank
    Tentative first list of 16 seeds for 2010's:

1. Kendrick Lamar
    2. Drake
    3. Kanye
    4. J Cole
    5. Post Malone
    6. Migos
    7. Childish Gambino
    8. Future
    9. Macklemore? fucking kms
    10. Chance the Rapper
    11. Kodak Black
    12. Danny Brown
    13. Schoolboy Q
    14. Logic (fuck Logic)
    15. Big Sean
    16. Lil Dicky (please)

This isn't the final list but like a suggestion
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,451
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Lol I've never heard of any of these new rappers. Besides Bhad Bhabie. #wifey

I stopped listening when Lil Wayne made a rock album and EDM fags took over every party.

I mostly stick to rock nowadays. Kanye said it best... scoopity poop de whoop
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2018

1. Kendrick Lamar
    2. Drake
    3. Kanye
    4. J Cole
    5. Post Malone
    6. Migos
    7. Childish Gambino
    8. Future
    10. Chance the Rapper
    11. Kodak Black
    12. Danny Brown
    13. Schoolboy Q
    14. Logic (fuck Logic)
    15. Big Sean
    16. Lil Dicky (please)

I know it’s hard, but your seedings are shit. You can’t actually put Lil Dicky, Kodak Black, or Danny Brown over Wiz, Travis Scott, A$AP Rocky, or Kid Cudi. Same for Schoolboy. Schoolboy isn’t headlining any festival over those guys.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,570

1. Kendrick Lamar
    2. Drake
    3. Kanye
    4. J Cole
    5. Post Malone
    6. Migos
    7. Childish Gambino
    8. Future
    10. Chance the Rapper
    11. Kodak Black
    12. Danny Brown
    13. Schoolboy Q
    14. Logic (fuck Logic)
    15. Big Sean
    16. Lil Dicky (please)

I only know 3 of those people. And Big Sean from that one song.