Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Time for Guess Who Said Dat?

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited May 2018

Well, there are some chinsere comments in this thread, even by OBK, our resident big meanie face.

Not sure there's any point blaming anyone. Who knows how the subtle process of alienation and loneliness that leads from one bad decision to another is started and germinates, but for a lot of people, they wake up one day and they're hopeless and fucked up and it goes down from there. Actually there are people who know the subtle process, they just can't stop it in an efficient way for the legions of those affected.

As for how to deal with what we have at a given time in the cycle, I think Regan/Bush I did manage to fuck one thing up with their shutting down funding for asylums and other institutions with the "they're better off in their communities and families who can take care of them" rationale. Fuck, when you think about it, that was a version of Hillary's village. Stoopid on both counts.

We? need more institutions. These things aren't great money makers, because as it turns out it's fucking expensive to take care of a human being who can't fend for him/herself, and if you charge market rates for the true cost structure and value, it's too expensive for most people even if the institutions aren't trying to turn a profit.

So, as much as it pains to me to say it, just like jails, we need more institutions, and of varying levels. We need the type for people who will never get better, the type for people who might if treated professionally, and half-way re-intros for people on the mend.

That's my only idea. If you guys shit on it, fuck you, and come up with a better one. I'm all ears. I work near Pioneer Square and I see people taking a shit in the alleys at least once a week on my drive in. It's fucking terrible and has become exponentially worse over the least 3 years.

I've got a solution. Ever seen the movie The Purge? First year of purging would clean up downtown real fucking quick. I didn't say my solution was neat and tidy, but it is a solution. Low cost and permanent as well.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Well, there are some chinsere comments in this thread, even by OBK, our resident big meanie face.

Not sure there's any point blaming anyone. Who knows how the subtle process of alienation and loneliness that leads from one bad decision to another is started and germinates, but for a lot of people, they wake up one day and they're hopeless and fucked up and it goes down from there. Actually there are people who know the subtle process, they just can't stop it in an efficient way for the legions of those affected.

As for how to deal with what we have at a given time in the cycle, I think Regan/Bush I did manage to fuck one thing up with their shutting down funding for asylums and other institutions with the "they're better off in their communities and families who can take care of them" rationale. Fuck, when you think about it, that was a version of Hillary's village. Stoopid on both counts.

We? need more institutions. These things aren't great money makers, because as it turns out it's fucking expensive to take care of a human being who can't fend for him/herself, and if you charge market rates for the true cost structure and value, it's too expensive for most people even if the institutions aren't trying to turn a profit.

So, as much as it pains to me to say it, just like jails, we need more institutions, and of varying levels. We need the type for people who will never get better, the type for people who might if treated professionally, and half-way re-intros for people on the mend.

That's my only idea. If you guys shit on it, fuck you, and come up with a better one. I'm all ears. I work near Pioneer Square and I see people taking a shit in the alleys at least once a week on my drive in. It's fucking terrible and has become exponentially worse over the least 3 years.

Agree on mor nut houses. It's a sad deal, but some percentage of the population just isn't going to be able to hack it and they need a safe place to stay.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Swaye said:

I've got a solution. Ever seen the movie The Purge? First year of purging would clean up downtown real fucking quick. I didn't say my solution was neat and tidy, but it is a solution. Low cost and permanent as well.

Fuck. If only. If there were such a thing, believe me, I have a list, and none of them are homeless. Hoh Lee Fuck would that be fun.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Agreed with the chinstitution shutdown as a root cause, and the recent devolvement of the situation. Honest question, what do you think changed between the 1980s and early 2010s?
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,375
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

Some problems don't have a solution.

Some problems have final solutions.
  • AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,976
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Anyone ever driven through the state of Nevada? You can go for an hour without seeing a town or any other human beings. Would seem, if the moar institutions idea ever really ramps up, that's a perfect place to move them all.

And if they get low on food, give them all AR 15s. You can't throw a dead cat without hitting a 20 pound rabbit out there. Make them hunt for their food. And for the ones who can't be trusted with a rifle, well, kind of win win.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    edited May 2018
    PurpleJ said:

dflea said:

Bruh- careful tiptoeing up to the call for genocide line. Stalin don't play that shit.

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,375
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

dflea said:

Bruh- careful tiptoeing up to the call for genocide line. Stalin don't play that shit.

I never said anything about genocide.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649

Agreed with the chinstitution shutdown as a root cause, and the recent devolvement of the situation. Honest question, what do you think changed between the 1980s and early 2010s?
    3 tings:

1 - Lack of institutions and mainstreaming of the truly fucked in the head people.

2 - General shunning of manual and low-skill labor jobs in favor of the welfare which begat the influx of the illegals (probably started way before 1980). Look back at those fucks in the Dust Bowl/Depression. They'd do ANYTHING to make a few coins to feed their family. That ethos is non-existent today. Cost/benefit analysis of the welfare recipients says better to just live off the dole than actually work.

3 - Crack begat meth begat opioids.

3 tings:

1 - Lack of institutions and mainstreaming of the truly fucked in the head people.

2 - General shunning of manual and low-skill labor jobs in favor of the welfare which begat the influx of the illegals (probably started way before 1980). Look back at those fucks in the Dust Bowl/Depression. They'd do ANYTHING to make a few coins to feed their family. That ethos is non-existent today. Cost/benefit analysis of the welfare recipients says better to just live off the dole than actually work.

3 - Crack begat meth begat opioids.

Well, that didn't take long. Mostly agree with that, but wonder what the point of the illegals is to the question. I read that, and I'm like, "yeah, so can we exchange 3/4s of the population of Grays Harbor County with some hard-working wet backs? We'd all be better off." PS: stories are starting to pick up about farms not being able to adequately staff for picking seasons and produce will rot on the ground. I wonder why that's happening?

I'd certainly like to do with less of the fucked up fat white people who've been here for four fucking generations and still can't figure it out, even though they have the most important variable covered: their paper work is in order. But those illegals ... God. Damn. It.

I agree that the society-wide shunning of low-skill jobs has probably lead to a greater degree of hopelessness and shit, but whatever. If you're hungry enough, you'll work. So, yeah, welfare-state re-organization is definitely in order.

That does not mean "we're just joking" about SS, the loss of which would make the mess we're discussing seem like a spot on your shirt, and it doesn't mean throwing those who honestly can't function out in the dessert. Those are fun things to talk about, but they're not realistic and we're not going to do it so don't waste the time.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Reagan is blamed for emptying the mental hospitals and has some truth to it but 30 years later who gives a fuck. Its a lazy excuse. Its not like Mental Hospitals were popular after One Flew Over and the 60's and 70's. They weren't. Its not like our friends on the left were sad they went away. They weren't. It's not like anyone is leading the charge to bring them back. They aren't.

It is the "easiest" answer but like all easy answers it comes with some danger if we go back to involuntary admittance.

As for our safety net we were in dire straits in 2014 as podcast listeners know. The amount of bullshit to go through to get a couple hundred bucks of food stamps was astounding. I thought I got a Cadillac. We took my unemployment to stay current on bills and borrowed the rent from family. We would have been fucked without them

I also never blamed anyone but me and took responsibility for being a fucking moron to end up there but that's how we grasshoppers roll.

Some folks just need a helping hand. How much of that 400 million Seattle collects will get to those hands? Some folks are just plain fucked. I am empathetic while also thinking we pay enough to help the ones that need it if we weren't fucking idiots about it
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam
    https://tribkcpq.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/resolution-31810-spending-plan-v6.pdf

Some numbers - 150 million over 5 years for 591 units or 254 K per unit. That will help about 1% of the peeople

q13fox.com/2018/05/15/seattleites-demand-an-audit-and-accountability-by-city-leaders-on-the-millions-spent-on-homelessness-already/

SEATTLE -- There is a new movement in Seattle and it’s demanding accountability for all the money city leaders have spent on homelessness.

“Two hundred million (dollars) was spent in King County last year, $17,000 for every man woman and child, and the problem got worse. I beg you take a step back,” Matt Dubin told the Seattle City Council on Monday.

Dubin is a Seattle attorney now running to be a state lawmaker because of the homeless crisis.

Q13 News sat down with Dubin 24 hours after the City Council, on a 9-0 vote, approved an employee tax on the biggest businesses to help fund the fight against homelessness.

“We spend more per capita on homelessness than almost any large city in the country and yet we are the third worst,” Dubin said.

Click here to see Seattle's proposed 5-year spending plan for the business tax
    Dubin said the city needs to work with experts and nonprofits who can find creative and less expensive ways to fight the crisis. He supports tiny homes. But he said simply building affordable housing isn’t going to solve the crisis.

He said the city is lacking services dealing with drug addiction and mental illness. He said it’s not a revenue problem, but a mismanagement of those funds.

Dubin said in the past seven years the city’s revenue more than doubled to $4.8 billion because of economic prosperity and tax revenue coming in. He now questions how the city is using all those funds, not just on homelessness but on other projects.

“I think there is a lot of stubborn pride,” Dubin said.

“I am sorry, there needs to be an audit right now,” north Seattle resident Jennifer Aspelund said.

Aspelund said she’s voted for taxes in the past to fight homelessness but now she feels taxpayer dollars have been wasted.

She wants to know how every penny of the $50 million in 2017 was spent.

“Put a link on your page that the public can hit that shows where has the money gone,” Aspelund suggested of the Seattle government.

Reagan is blamed for emptying the mental hospitals and has some truth to it but 30 years later who gives a fuck. Its a lazy excuse. Its not like Mental Hospitals were popular after One Flew Over and the 60's and 70's. They weren't. Its not like our friends on the left were sad they went away. They weren't. It's not like anyone is leading the charge to bring them back. They aren't.

It is the "easiest" answer but like all easy answers it comes with some danger if we go back to involuntary admittance.

As for our safety net we were in dire straits in 2014 as podcast listeners know. The amount of bullshit to go through to get a couple hundred bucks of food stamps was astounding. I thought I got a Cadillac. We took my unemployment to stay current on bills and borrowed the rent from family. We would have been fucked without them

I also never blamed anyone but me and took responsibility for being a fucking moron to end up there but that's how we grasshoppers roll.

Some folks just need a helping hand. How much of that 400 million Seattle collects will get to those hands? Some folks are just plain fucked. I am empathetic while also thinking we pay enough to help the ones that need it if we weren't fucking idiots about it

Don't get me wrong. It's not the blame game. But as you point out, if there are no real advocates for something that's been around for a while, once someone expends the political energy to kill it, it stays killed. For the reasons you cited, it has not been brought back to life since then, and I think we need them. Maybe I've seen Rain Man too many times and have a romanticized idea in my head about where to take crazy uncle Charlie once the family can't deal with him anymore. I also know those places can be hell holes, which sucks, but it's reality.

I drew for a few months myself between school. That's why it's there. I have paid it back and then some in tax returns. I'm pretty confident of that.

Welfare reform is a must. It will take a lot of political capital and courage. Is Donnie the guy? Don't know. I know he's not afraid, that's for sure. But I think it's been complicated rather badly with all of this immigrant panic shit, and you know where I stand on that. From dead reckoning alone, I can assure us all that the vast majority of welfare abusers were born and raised here. I grew up around a lot of them myself.

https://tribkcpq.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/resolution-31810-spending-plan-v6.pdf

Some numbers - 150 million over 5 years for 591 units or 254 K per unit. That will help about 1% of the peeople

q13fox.com/2018/05/15/seattleites-demand-an-audit-and-accountability-by-city-leaders-on-the-millions-spent-on-homelessness-already/

SEATTLE -- There is a new movement in Seattle and it’s demanding accountability for all the money city leaders have spent on homelessness.

“Two hundred million (dollars) was spent in King County last year, $17,000 for every man woman and child, and the problem got worse. I beg you take a step back,” Matt Dubin told the Seattle City Council on Monday.

Dubin is a Seattle attorney now running to be a state lawmaker because of the homeless crisis.

Q13 News sat down with Dubin 24 hours after the City Council, on a 9-0 vote, approved an employee tax on the biggest businesses to help fund the fight against homelessness.

“We spend more per capita on homelessness than almost any large city in the country and yet we are the third worst,” Dubin said.

Click here to see Seattle's proposed 5-year spending plan for the business tax
    Dubin said the city needs to work with experts and nonprofits who can find creative and less expensive ways to fight the crisis. He supports tiny homes. But he said simply building affordable housing isn’t going to solve the crisis.

He said the city is lacking services dealing with drug addiction and mental illness. He said it’s not a revenue problem, but a mismanagement of those funds.

Dubin said in the past seven years the city’s revenue more than doubled to $4.8 billion because of economic prosperity and tax revenue coming in. He now questions how the city is using all those funds, not just on homelessness but on other projects.

“I think there is a lot of stubborn pride,” Dubin said.

“I am sorry, there needs to be an audit right now,” north Seattle resident Jennifer Aspelund said.

Aspelund said she’s voted for taxes in the past to fight homelessness but now she feels taxpayer dollars have been wasted.

She wants to know how every penny of the $50 million in 2017 was spent.

“Put a link on your page that the public can hit that shows where has the money gone,” Aspelund suggested of the Seattle government.

Fuck. Lost the post again. Derek!

Short version: Matt Dubin is a law school classmate. We were friends, but I've lost touch. Super big libertarian back in the day.

Other fun fact: Matt figured out which community college had the most success getting people into Yale. He discovered through research that Rockland CC in Suffern NY had some kind of arrangement with Yale and tended to send people there. As you probably know, CC x-fer isn't the normal route to the Ivy League. So he moves away from home, in I think upstate NY, to attend Rockland, and yes, he was able to transfer to Yale. I mean, who does that right? Nobody moves away from home to attend CC. It's kinda the point to stay home and save $$. If you knew Matt, the story was not all that surprising.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

You're supposed to be a cuog living in Pullman who never made it out of the Palouse.
    I mean, I get it. Involuntary anything is super slippery slope. But for the truly mentally ill, you have to get somewhat philosophical about the idea of free will in the first place.

It's an intractable issue, or we'd have figured it out by now. It's not a partisan issue by any means. We all agree these people are sick and need help. It's the help part that eludes us.

You're supposed to be a cuog living in Pullman who never made it out of the Palouse.
    That's how come I know so much about retarded people and shit. Sorry @salemcoog . We're still bros, bro.