Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Greatest program to never have won a post WWII Natty?

Comments

• EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,989
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Oregon

CreepyCoug in every thread:

Fixed

• dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dflea said:

dflea said:

Oregon's resume: 2 participation trophies, 1 playoff victory over the reigning national champions & their undefeated Heisman QB. UW: 1/2 of a non-participation trophy, and this:

Oregon - lost the big game
    Washington - won the big game

Suck it, faggot.
    But what was the final score of the 'big game?'

That's what I thought.

What was the score of the UO game that won them the national championship?

That's what I thought.

It would be different if UO had won a national championship game, and UW hadn't - but neither team has won a playoff championship game.

However, we have a crystal football earned with an unbeaten season. You have feelings of envy and an inferiority complex.
    Go ahead and give UO half a natty for the 2010 season if these are the metrics.
    You have one of those nifty 12-0 shirts, don't you?
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited May 2018
    Texas A & M
    EwaDawg said:

CreepyCoug in every thread:

Fixed

Super. Clever. As. Always.

Either of those little dumb pineapples going to make it into college?
    Texas A & M
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

salemcoog said:

Washington.

It's in a case about 10 mins down the street from my house. Stop by some time and I will show it to you.

Play the '90/91 Canes or GTFO.
    Fuck the Canes. They didn't want anything to do with us. 2-1 bitches.

Doogs will never admit this, but deep inside even they question the legitimacy of that trophy in the era where championship games are played and won on the field.

Sure. That's what you faggots tell yourself.

They butchered the team your Sallys had to come from behind to beat, but somehow where a scurred to play.

Sure.
    Cuz there is an equivalence to playing the Huskers early in the season in Lincoln with the Canes getting them in Miami on Jan 1st? That kind of logic on the LSAT wouldn't even get one into the University of Idaho pretend law school.

salemcoog said:

Washington.

It's in a case about 10 mins down the street from my house. Stop by some time and I will show it to you.

Play the '90/91 Canes or GTFO.
    Fuck the Canes. They didn't want anything to do with us. 2-1 bitches.

Doogs will never admit this, but deep inside even they question the legitimacy of that trophy in the era where championship games are played and won on the field.

Sure. That's what you faggots tell yourself.

They butchered the team your Sallys had to come from behind to beat, but somehow where a scurred to play.

Sure.
    Cuz there is an equivalence to playing the Huskers early in the season in Lincoln with the Canes getting them in Miami on Jan 1st? That kind of logic on the LSAT wouldn't even get one into the University of Idaho pretend law school.
    Jesus row boat! This is a rookie response in this argument genre. I was swatting that shit away back in the royotis days. Sheeit man.

First, it was the Orange Bowl. Nebraska had their allotment, and they were always filled 100%. I used to go to those games. In those days, there were a lot of pasty-white fat cheese- eating mid western dipshits in Miami in early January. It was a rite of passage for the winner of the Big 8, which was routinely Nebraska. They had more than enough fans there. Plus, it had rained and the field was shit, a decidedly helpful externality for the run-happy Huskers.

They never got inside Miami's 20 fucking yard line bitch. Not. One. Fucking. Tim. They held Nebraska to 82 yards rushing. Total. Eighty. Two. Fucking. Yards. For the game. How many tims did that happen to Nebraska when Nebraska was Nebraska damnit??!!??!! Hmm? Huh?? Exactly.

Miami cruised to such an early lead so easily that they put it in cruise the rest of the way. That could have been easily the worst losses in Nebraska history had Miami's offense not gone into shut-down. As it stands, it's still one of them.

Early season doesn't have shit to do with my balls or rowboat or anything else. What? Did Don Fucking James fail to have the boys ready to play in Lincoln? R U Serious? Look, it's one thing to have a good Cal team sneak up on you. No shame in that. It happens. But Nebraska, in those days, on the road or at home? Nah. That's a game you're ready to play. Nebraska had Washington's number for a good chunk of the gayme.

Face it. Common opponent suggest that Miami had nothing to be afraid of. I'm sure it would have been a great game. But a Washington route is just frosting that Super Doogs have had to layer on their title cake because it's the only one they have. Understandable.

That said, this fucking idea that Miami would have struggled against that Washington team doesn't have much empirical support beyond homer supposition. Look at the players on both sides. You had future NFL starters and pro bowl players all over that Miami starting 22, not even including Medearis, who was a fucking monster of a D lineman before his career was cut short; and that D overall was stingy as fuck.

Don't take my word for it. Witness the following from the Omaha World Herald:

Nebraska came into the Orange Bowl first nationally in rushing, third in total offense and third in scoring.

But the Huskers never got inside the Miami 20-yard line, ran for only 82 yards and gained 171 yards overall in suffering a fifth straight bowl loss.

The last time Nebraska’s offensive statistics were that feeble was the last time it played Miami. In the Orange Bowl after the 1988 season, the Hurricanes won 23-3 and held the Huskers to 80 yards rushing and 135 total yards — both lows in the 30-year Osborne-Bob Devaney era.

Osborne didn’t disagree after a first-hand look at the nation’s top point-preventing defense, averaging 8.3 a game.

“They were awfully quick, and they were stronger up front than we thought,” he said. “The key is that they did a good job penetrating our offensive line and stopping our running game.”

Nebraska netted 4 yards on its first six possessions, not getting a first down against Miami’s gap-shooting 4-3 alignment until there was 6:11 left in the second quarter.

Overall, 24 of NU’s 57 offensive plays resulted in no gain or minus yardage.

The Huskers entered Miami territory only three times in 14 possessions. One of those was because they started there after an interception.

Tell me again how Jesse fucking Armstead and his friends were going to be a scurred of "NFL cup a coffee" Jay Berry, Beano Bryant & Mario Bailey. It's just not rational.
    Holy shit you're a bigger doog than anyone here.

Stop living in the fucking past!
    I chinned that, even though it makes no sense.
    Nothing says living in the past like writing a fucking dissertation on a Bowel game from over 25 years ago, complete with stats and quotes and everything.

Triggered?

Are you new to this debate friend?
    No, I'm familiar that you and Roy go back 20 fucking years or whatever on this. But Roy's not here, yet your Cooning (h/t @IPukeOregonGrellow ) remains.
    Dude, you just chimed in, moar than once, on another nuclear stupid thread about the Peach Bowl, which by now no doubt is debating the '91 Dawgs vs. the '85 Bears. Please: spare me the judgment.

Besides, I'll fucking Coon whenever the fuck I want to Coon. Capiche?

And, half of my dissertation is a quote from a paper.
    Yes, three sentences is the same thing as a whole fucking page.

Ok; I didn't know we were counting sentences.

You win.

I guess.
    Texas A & M
    Man. Oregon vs. Washington in a nattie fight. 1/2 vs. 0.

That's some pillow fight.

#winky

#stickwithrowboat
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oregon

#winky

#stickwithrowboat

Texas A & M

#winky

#stickwithrowboat

Come on row boat!!!!!

You do realize that I'M Dezi in that gif. Ethel's the one flapping her Fred pleaser.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oregon

#winky

#stickwithrowboat

Come on row boat!!!!!

You do realize that I'M Dezi in that gif. Ethel's the one flapping her Fred pleaser.
    Yeah, but they don't have a gif of someone telling Ricky to cool down the hot Latin blood so this has to do.
    Texas A & M

#winky

#stickwithrowboat

Come on row boat!!!!!

Yeah, but they don't have a gif of someone telling Ricky to cool down the hot Latin blood so this has to do.
    Well, you tried.

Of course, what merely "trying" gets you in UW rowboats is:

shame
    banishment
    a year of white T shirts w/ no school colors in every competition until you earn the right to wear purple again.

Thanks again for "trying".

Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2018
    Oregon

#winky

#stickwithrowboat

Come on row boat!!!!!

Well, you tried.

shame
    banishment
    a year of white T shirts w/ no school colors in every competition until you earn the right to wear purple again.

Our colors were blue and white...not a bit of purple on the jersey whatsoever. The blades were solid white which is one of the most bad ass things about Worshington row boating.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

#winky

#stickwithrowboat

Come on row boat!!!!!

Well, you tried.

shame
    banishment

Our colors were blue and white...not a bit of purple on the jersey whatsoever. The blades were solid white which is one of the most bad ass things about Worshington row boating.
    Helps Trump imo
    Texas A & M

#winky

#stickwithrowboat

Come on row boat!!!!!

Well, you tried.

shame
    banishment

Well, now, when they lose the HOCR, they have to wear all white, white blades, white shirts, not a stitch of purple and not a W anywhere near the boat unless it's painted on the boat.

I think they call it, "rowing in the season of shame".
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,713
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Texas A & M
    Other common opponent was Arizona.

We crushed them 54-0 in Seattle.

Sugarcanes beat them 36-7 or something in Tucson.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,071
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Wisconsin
    Per the all-time Sagarin ratings (through 2012) the 1991 Washington team was the 6th best of all-time (1995 Nebraska is tops). 2001 Miami comes in at 8. IIRC 87 and 93 were the only other two Miami squads to crack the list. 1991 Miami was a good team but not one of the greatest ever, like 1991 Washington.
    edited May 2018
    Texas A & M
    Mad_Son said:

Per the all-time Sagarin ratings (through 2012) the 1991 Washington team was the 6th best of all-time (1995 Nebraska is tops). 2001 Miami comes in at 8. IIRC 87 and 93 were the only other two Miami squads to crack the list. 1991 Miami was a good team but not one of the greatest ever, like 1991 Washington.

So a three loss Miami team that was never ranked above #3 and lost its bowl game cracked a list that left off an undefeated Miami team that beat #1, #9 and #10 during the season and absolutely crushed Nebraska and their standing ovation fans and had one of the stingiest defenses in cfb up to that time?

Uh, ok.

1991 is not the greatest Miami team ever. You'll get no argument from me on that point. But they were more than a good team. The talent was undeniable, based on play after cfb. The defense alone was an all-timer. They shut everyone down. And any list that has 2001 Miami at #8 is ridiculous. Please. That Miami team beats 91 Washington and 95 Nebraska, and I don't think it would be that hard for them.

Regarding the 54-0 / 36-9 comparison ... somehow Huskies like to drop the whole home-field advantage line when that variable comes up, but whatever, I'll let it slide.

What I love about that game was how it stood in such sharp contrast to all the "we have class" talk about Don James at the time, and he goes on to lay 54 points on a team at home at a time when 54 points actually was a ridiculous score (nobody would blink today). So at what point after Arizona clearly stated they didn't come to play was he going to get classy?

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,682
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Option
    Perhaps the worst post in the history of the forum
    Texas A & M

Due tell.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Due tell.
    *dew
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Mad_Son said:

So a three loss Miami team that was never ranked above #3 and lost its bowl game cracked a list that left off an undefeated Miami team that beat #1, #9 and #10 during the season and absolutely crushed Nebraska and their standing ovation fans and had one of the stingiest defenses in cfb up to that time?

Uh, ok.

1991 is not the greatest Miami team ever. You'll get no argument from me on that point. But they were more than a good team. The talent was undeniable, based on play after cfb. The defense alone was an all-timer. They shut everyone down. And any list that has 2001 Miami at #8 is ridiculous. Please. That Miami team beats 91 Washington and 95 Nebraska, and I don't think it would be that hard for them.

Regarding the 54-0 / 36-9 comparison ... somehow Huskies like to drop the whole home-field advantage line when that variable comes up, but whatever, I'll let it slide.

What I love about that game was how it stood in such sharp contrast to all the "we have class" talk about Don James at the time, and he goes on to lay 54 points on a team at home at a time when 54 points actually was a ridiculous score (nobody would blink today). So at what point after Arizona clearly stated they didn't come to play was he going to get classy?

Classy Don James would never ask his scrubs not to beat the living shit out of a team that couldn't stop them. Doing that is pussy, not classy.

He probably would have had to leave the starters in against the Canes to beat their asses that year, though. It would have still been classy, though.

edited May 2018
    Texas A & M
    dflea said:

Mad_Son said:

Uh, ok.

Classy Don James would never ask his scrubs not to beat the living shit out of a team that couldn't stop them. Doing that is pussy, not classy.

He probably would have had to leave the starters in against the Canes to beat their asses that year, though. It would have still been classy, though.

Mine was tongue in cheek comment, as you know. My point was, every time Miami ever ran up a big score on someone, people in the great white north who (and you know who you are) were not comfortable with ubber inner city Miami would bitch and moan about every fucking thing they did. It was a problem that found its way to the people calling the games, like Twatburger and Mike Francesa.

Jimmy invented the "my job isn't to help you save face" response, but everyone hated him for it back in the day. Nobody piled on Don, save for perhaps Bill Walsh, who was douche canoe himself so whatever.

I still think that gayme would've been more competitive than the 91 Washington crowd cares to think. Washington's offense was terribly overlooked because of the D, a point I regularly concede, but they were not going to run up big numbers on that Miami defense. If you re-watch the Orange Bowl, Nebraska, straight up and no shit, looked like a high school team trying to move the ball on them. When that defense was focused, they were lights out. To this day, among the very fastest and meanest trio of LBs I've ever seen play a cfb game. I would take two thirds of that group even over Miami's 01 group, but I would keep Vilma from 01 ... dude was nasty af.