Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Time for Guess Who Said Dat?

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,703
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
"The city does not have a revenue problem - it has a spending efficiency problem."

Oh reary?
Tagged:

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Fucking liberals.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

"The city does not have a revenue problem - it has a spending efficiency problem."

Oh reary?

Ronald Reagan to be quite honest. Maybe not word for word. Seattle elects people that find that to be hate speech and then are shocked when they get the bill

I've said it here when dumbfucks like hondo cry about tax cuts.

Bezos is a hypocrite. When its his wallet he has an issue. Like most liberals he has no problem reaching in my pocket
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,703
    edited May 2018

Oh reary?

Ronald Reagan to be quite honest. Maybe not word for word. Seattle elects people that find that to be hate speech and then are shocked when they get the bill

Bezos is a hypocrite. When its his wallet he has an issue. Like most liberals he has no problem reaching in my pocket
    I don't disagree on this point. The left is always at its best when spending other people's money. That's what they do. Few if any are willing to pony up.

It was like Pappa Gates when he was on this bit with the inheritance tax. People praised him since, you know, the Gates family stood to pay a lot since there's such an intra-family transfer of wealth. Of course, what's a fiddy million here and there when you're a Gates? At some point, when you have enough money, you don't count it anymore.

I’ll let @oregonblitzkrieg weigh in

He's away at camp.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The city does not have a revenue problem. It have an inability to tell the bums to LEAVE problem.

Oh reary?

I don't disagree on this point. The left is always at its best when spending other people's money. That's what they do. Few if any are willing to pony up.

It was like Pappa Gates when he was on this bit with the inheritance tax. People praised him since, you know, the Gates family stood to pay a lot since there's such an intra-family transfer of wealth. Of course, what's a fiddy million here and there when you're a Gates? At some point, when you have enough money, you don't count it anymore.
    Maybe we're remember the same thing differently, or not. But I recall Bill Señor promoting a state income tax. Again, sainted for it. However at that point in his life, and probably Junior's, they probably had next to nothing in ordinary income. Tax for thee, but not for me.
    Not mutually exclusive of course. I'm sure he was all-in for a state income tax, but for a time, right around the Campaign for Washington that he headed up (the one before this last one), he was all about the inheritance tax and talking about family dynasties etc.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Oh reary?

Maybe we're remember the same thing differently, or not. But I recall Bill Señor promoting a state income tax. Again, sainted for it. However at that point in his life, and probably Junior's, they probably had next to nothing in ordinary income. Tax for thee, but not for me.
    Not mutually exclusive of course. I'm sure he was all-in for a state income tax, but for a time, right around the Campaign for Washington that he headed up (the one before this last one), he was all about the inheritance tax and talking about family dynasties etc.
    *chinheritance tax
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538

The city does not have a revenue problem. It have an inability to tell the bums to LEAVE problem.

No issue has made me think of the old saying, “If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty, you have no brain" than Seattle and its homelessness problem.

I try to fancy myself as a compassionate moderate but seeing what’s been going on has been bring out my inner Republican. My heart breaks seeing people on the street who are clearly mentally ill, disabled, etc. but it’s becoming clear that the system in place isn’t working and throwing more money at it isn’t going to help. Problem is I don’t even know where the hell to start to come up with even a stop gap solution.

I’ve had the misfortune of being laid off years ago. Naturally like most folks in that situation, I filed for unemployment. In order to receive that benefit I had to actively look for work to get my benefits and even then I knew there was a limit to what I could claim. I’m woefully uneducated about assistance that goes to the homeless - are there similar expectations if you go to a shelter or camp out in the city? I know it’s not an apples to apples comparison, so please don’t twist, I’m genuinely curious if anyone has any insight on how it currently works.

There has to be a middle ground between allowing for a safety net for those that have been dealt a bad hand by life and those that refuse to accept help.

Thoughts? I feel really guilty writing these things as I’ve been pretty lucky in life, but seeing this stuff is pretty upsetting.

no. no thoughts.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited May 2018

No issue has made me think of the old saying, “If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty, you have no brain" than Seattle and its homelessness problem.

I try to fancy myself as a compassionate moderate but seeing what’s been going on has been bring out my inner Republican. My heart breaks seeing people on the street who are clearly mentally ill, disabled, etc. but it’s becoming clear that the system in place isn’t working and throwing more money at it isn’t going to help. Problem is I don’t even know where the hell to start to come up with even a stop gap solution.

I’ve had the misfortune of being laid off years ago. Naturally like most folks in that situation, I filed for unemployment. In order to receive that benefit I had to actively look for work to get my benefits and even then I knew there was a limit to what I could claim. I’m woefully uneducated about assistance that goes to the homeless - are there similar expectations if you go to a shelter or camp out in the city? I know it’s not an apples to apples comparison, so please don’t twist, I’m genuinely curious if anyone has any insight on how it currently works.

There has to be a middle ground between allowing for a safety net for those that have been dealt a bad hand by life and those that refuse to accept help.

Thoughts? I feel really guilty writing these things as I’ve been pretty lucky in life, but seeing this stuff is pretty upsetting.
    Good post. I once also, was on the Dole for a little spell. And I do have some compassion for the plight. In my little ‘Burg, I see about 3 out of 10 that truly need mental health care and the rest are just abled bodied lazy fucks. I’d be all for some more $$$ invested in more and better mental health care. Not only for the homeless but also the relevant incarcerated.

I equate the Homeless problem with our Corrections system. Building more Prisons hasn’t made the community safer. Just as building more flop houses won’t solve the homeless problem at its root. And anyone currently incarcerated for dealing weed should be put on parole tomorrow. There’s no sense in paying to incarcerate people for slinging what is now a legal substance.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,394
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I am hearing there's some vacant land on the Big Island. Great weather and you can roast marshmallows whenever you like. Dump the homeless there.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Bezos is a worm. He even looks like one. You faggots keep buying shit on Amazon and propping it up like cogs in the machinery, while they continue to destroy businesses and jobs everywhere, large and small. You think this is going to end well?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We have an inefficient delivery system for aid
  • RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I grew up in Seattle but moved away after graduating UW. Lived in some more rural parts of the country and was an expat for a while. There's always been a decent sized homeless population in Seattle but I was a little decsensitized to it growing up and was blown away when I moved back.

Initially I felt a little sorry but didn't take long for me to go from sympathetic to fuck em clear em out. On almost a weekly basis I have a sketchy run in with a junkie where the spidey sense starts to tingle.

As a more light hearted example, earlier this week I grabbed lunch and was eating it on the restaurant's patio outside in pioneer square and this old whacked out homeless dude kept interuppting my lunch to try to sell me a BJ. I told him I was flattered, graciously declined the toothless meth BJ and unsuccessfully tried to finish the rest of my salad.

I'm not sure there is a solution but what the city has been doing is enabling the problem. More needs to be done to separate the down on their luck homeless/mentally ill from the piece of shit drug addicts. The drug addicts need to go and I don't really care what draconian measures are taken to make it happen. Not really sure what happened with the Opiod epidemic that Trump declared but seems like that is the best avenue to try to deal with the drug addicts. Homelessness is a federal problem so it's stupid to think that Seattle on it's own can solve the issue by simply offering more benefits.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    RedRocket said:

I grew up in Seattle but moved away after graduating UW. Lived in some more rural parts of the country and was an expat for a while. There's always been a decent sized homeless population in Seattle but I was a little decsensitized to it growing up and was blown away when I moved back.

Initially I felt a little sorry but didn't take long for me to go from sympathetic to fuck em clear em out. On almost a weekly basis I have a sketchy run in with a junkie where the spidey sense starts to tingle.

As a more light hearted example, earlier this week I grabbed lunch and was eating it on the restaurant's patio outside in pioneer square and this old whacked out homeless dude kept interuppting my lunch to try to sell me a BJ. I told him I was flattered, graciously declined the toothless meth BJ and unsuccessfully tried to finish the rest of my salad.

I'm not sure there is a solution but what the city has been doing is enabling the problem. More needs to be done to separate the down on their luck homeless/mentally ill from the piece of shit drug addicts. The drug addicts need to go and I don't really care what draconian measures are taken to make it happen. Not really sure what happened with the Opiod epidemic that Trump declared but seems like that is the best avenue to try to deal with the drug addicts. Homelessness is a federal problem so it's stupid to think that Seattle on it's own can solve the issue by simply offering more benefits.
    Exactly. It is a federal problem. Why the fuck should a Seattle business get taxed directly one penny to take care of some bums that just rolled in from West Virginia?