Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Medical Billing

13»

Comments

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,379
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

I've always been in favor of a global study of all health systems, figure out who has the lowest cost per person with a good wuality of care, and them straight up copying it.

Why reinvent the damn wheel

Sounds like you are a commie.

I like to pretend that health expenses are about medical care and not about diet and lifestyle, that's what I like to do.
    Must be the futbol...
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

dnc said:

I've always been in favor of a global study of all health systems, figure out who has the lowest cost per person with a good wuality of care, and them straight up copying it.

I like to pretend that health expenses are about medical care and not about diet and lifestyle, that's what I like to do.
    I'd love to see an outlier adjusted average. I doubt any universal care country has the exorbitant outliers that we have. They just pull the cord instead. Of course, that will never happen, because the people that generate these studies have agendas and narratives to fit.
    What outliers are you talking about?
    Outliers such as people on long-term life-support, people with terminal diseases, pre-mature births, people who are old and rich and want to live as long as possible, medical tourism(Gasp! People in universal care countries come to the US for treatment bc no lines or panels to decide if they get treatment). etc.

TLDR Rich countries spend more on healthcare than not rich countries

What you may not realize is that we have a section of the medical industry that is already single payer in the US. Dialysis. FYI, it's a disaster.
    god-help-you-youre-on-dialysis

And then there's the VA where no expense has been spared to give universal coverage through the government and the coverage continues to be abysmal for a section of the population we all agree deserves good care.
    Way more Americans leave the US for healthcare than people travelling to the US. It's 10-1.

A report of McKinsey and Co. from 2008 found that between 60,000 and 85,000 medical tourists were traveling to the United States for the purpose of receiving in-patient medical care.[70] The same McKinsey study estimated that 750,000 American medical tourists traveled from the United States to other countries in 2007 (up from 500,000 in 2006).

Every country has the "outliers" you listed.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

I don't use the white man's medicine. Problem solved.

YBFE
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Well, Fuck the Swiss then.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,102
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2018

dnc said:

I'd love to see an outlier adjusted average. I doubt any universal care country has the exorbitant outliers that we have. They just pull the cord instead. Of course, that will never happen, because the people that generate these studies have agendas and narratives to fit.
    Outliers such as people on long-term life-support, people with terminal diseases, pre-mature births, people who are old and rich and want to live as long as possible, medical tourism(Gasp! People in universal care countries come to the US for treatment bc no lines or panels to decide if they get treatment). etc.

What you may not realize is that we have a section of the medical industry that is already single payer in the US. Dialysis. FYI, it's a disaster.

And then there's the VA where no expense has been spared to give universal coverage through the government and the coverage continues to be abysmal for a section of the population we all agree deserves good care.
    Way more Americans leave the US for healthcare than people travelling to the US. It's 10-1.

A report of McKinsey and Co. from 2008 found that between 60,000 and 85,000 medical tourists were traveling to the United States for the purpose of receiving in-patient medical care.[70] The same McKinsey study estimated that 750,000 American medical tourists traveled from the United States to other countries in 2007 (up from 500,000 in 2006).

The difference being that the other countries won't spend that on your care because a government official makes the determination of whether you are worth the expenditure. In the US, you can spend millions pretty easily on someone who has a low chance of survival. Per my comment as well, I'd love to see the numbers adjusted to reflect what the reality is.

The difference in medical tourism being that people who come to the US as medical tourists are typically spending lots of money for access to care. Access to immediate care = more expensive.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    section8 said:

Family member in the last year has generated upwards of $1M in medical bills (brain surgery, rehab, extended PT, chemo, radiation etc..)

After the adjustments nearly $700K of that disappeared off the billing, insurance paid most, UW wrote off about $140K for radiation due to it being part of a clinical trial, our out of pocket

Was it airborn AIDS?
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited May 2018
    I like it when fat people die. @CFetters_Nacho_Lover
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

section8 said:

Family member in the last year has generated upwards of $1M in medical bills (brain surgery, rehab, extended PT, chemo, radiation etc..)

After the adjustments nearly $700K of that disappeared off the billing, insurance paid most, UW wrote off about $140K for radiation due to it being part of a clinical trial, our out of pocket

Was it airborn AIDS?
    Ground @chuck > Air @chuck
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

I'm not saying that there isn't shit to fix in terms of the way clinics and hospitals bill their patients...

But it seems like there's a lot of people in America who want to have their cake and eat it, too. I know this guy who makes damn good money who bitched about how he had to pay $1,500 for an ER visit, and went on about how much better universal healthcare (or whatever it's called these days) would be.

I was like "you have $50,000 in your checking account BECAUSE you live in America and get to keep a relatively reasonable amount of the money you make. The lack of universal health care if what allows you to have the money to pay that bill."

He didn't understand, which makes me mad that he makes so much more money than me.

Except countries with Universal Healthcare pay half of what Americans do, per capita. The US pays more for healthcare than any country in the world.
    When Mexico has you dicked at Health care providence and costs, you know it's not working.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Americans leave for healthcare and pay cash to people that love American cash like in Thailand and price it accordingly. There is nothing to stop that from being the case here other than massive and crippling over regulation

You can get a root canal in Mexico for 1/4 the price from an American citizen doctor trained at an American University who commutes to her office in Mexico
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

I like it when fat people die. @CFetters_Nacho_Lover

Hurtful
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

dnc said:

The difference being that the other countries won't spend that on your care because a government official makes the determination of whether you are worth the expenditure. In the US, you can spend millions pretty easily on someone who has a low chance of survival. Per my comment as well, I'd love to see the numbers adjusted to reflect what the reality is.

The difference in medical tourism being that people who come to the US as medical tourists are typically spending lots of money for access to care. Access to immediate care = more expensive.
    I like to pretend that insurance companies are more willing to spend money to keep people alive than the government.