Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

NBA Playoff Megathread

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Houston sucks. Mike D’Antoni is a regular season coach.

George Karl and Brad Stevens agree
    George Karl is a good example. Stevens gets more time.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

What this playoff is really driving home to me is that this direction of "3 and D" players is too easy to exploit as there are few that are able to be multi-dimensional offensively and strong enough defensively. With Cleveland, it's too easy to exploit guys like Korver defensively. With Houston, the defenders like Tucker and Mbah a Moute are not good enough offensively to not allow a good team to be able to fall off of him effectively.
    Korver is not a 3 and D player
    He’s a 3 and no D player ... missing my point if that is what you are focusing in on
    You're missing the point if you're using Korver as any kind of data point about the 3 and D movement. He's not part of it.
    It’s more about specialization in my mind and having limited focal points offensively.

Bruce Bowen to me was an original example. Great D and made himself into a passable offensive player.

A guy like Korver swings the other way as a great shooter that in an ideal world you hide in defense.

The unicorn is the great shooter that is also a tremendous defender.

In all examples, these players are limited offensively in what they do well versus what a good defense forces them into.
    I don’t understand the point of this post. Teams want 3 and D wings because those are the most important skills. If you can’t shoot you screw up spacing. If you can’t defend your defense is comprised. Wings that can do both and create offensively are all stars. I don’t know how you think teams are going to just go get more of those.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,721
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

He lost to a higher seed his first trip but it was Atlanta!

Lost to higher seeded Cleveland his second year

Lost to Cleveland as the Number One Seed last year in 5 games

Now playing Cleveland as a higher seed leading 1-0 after a crisp 30 point win and his first two series wins earlier this year.

He needs to make the Finals. Then I can finally root for the Warriors
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Offense is about creating opportunities for yourself and your teammates.

Shooting spaces the floor and in theory makes it easier for penetration.

Guys that can shoot but can’t create are dependent on others for offense.

If the creators in that system can’t create or more importantly if defenses don’t help to the point of creating opportunities for dependent shooters, then the offense really bogs down.

You don’t need to have all stars. Shooting is obviously valuable. But there are other offensive skills as well.
    Swaye's Wigwam

He lost to a higher seed his first trip but it was Atlanta!

Lost to higher seeded Cleveland his second year

Lost to Cleveland as the Number One Seed last year in 5 games

Now playing Cleveland as a higher seed leading 1-0 after a crisp 30 point win and his first two series wins earlier this year.

He needs to make the Finals. Then I can finally root for the Warriors
    You’re taking the LeBron fanboy act a little far.
    I'm talking about Brad Stevens. Did not mention Lebron
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Well if Rohan Nadkarni says no I take it back.

I did pick them to win the series after all. I think they're the better team. They're not the better roster though.
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

What this playoff is really driving home to me is that this direction of "3 and D" players is too easy to exploit as there are few that are able to be multi-dimensional offensively and strong enough defensively. With Cleveland, it's too easy to exploit guys like Korver defensively. With Houston, the defenders like Tucker and Mbah a Moute are not good enough offensively to not allow a good team to be able to fall off of him effectively.
    Korver is not a 3 and D player
    He’s a 3 and no D player ... missing my point if that is what you are focusing in on
    You're missing the point if you're using Korver as any kind of data point about the 3 and D movement. He's not part of it.
    It’s more about specialization in my mind and having limited focal points offensively.

Bruce Bowen to me was an original example. Great D and made himself into a passable offensive player.

A guy like Korver swings the other way as a great shooter that in an ideal world you hide in defense.

The unicorn is the great shooter that is also a tremendous defender.

In all examples, these players are limited offensively in what they do well versus what a good defense forces them into.
    So you don't understand 3 and D. Got it.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

I did pick them to win the series after all. I think they're the better team. They're not the better roster though.
    Everyone on Boston is better than everyone on Cleveland except Lebron. Love is hurt. The bench is the guys the Lakers didn't want to keep in order to go after Lebron for next year. Throw in the greatest coach in the history of sports and this thing is over

dnc said:

Everyone on Boston is better than everyone on Cleveland except Lebron. Love is hurt. The bench is the guys the Lakers didn't want to keep in order to go after Lebron for next year. Throw in the greatest coach in the history of sports and this thing is over
    Most of those guys on Boston are only good (at least this early) because of Stevens. Terry Rozier is nobody without Stevens developing him. Brown and Tatum have gotten much better as the year has gone. Al Horford would be Horford. Literally no else on the playoff roster scared anyone when the season started.

LeBron's supposed to be the best player ever. He should be able to handle a team of Al Horford and some 20 year olds.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Offense is about creating opportunities for yourself and your teammates.

Shooting spaces the floor and in theory makes it easier for penetration.

Guys that can shoot but can’t create are dependent on others for offense.

If the creators in that system can’t create or more importantly if defenses don’t help to the point of creating opportunities for dependent shooters, then the offense really bogs down.

You don’t need to have all stars. Shooting is obviously valuable. But there are other offensive skills as well.

You are describing Rajon Rando and Evan Turner. Bother of whom killed their teams in the series they lost. Can you give me an example of a player that you’re talking about that doesn’t kill his team?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Lebron is 3 and 5 in finals. He's not a one man team and never has been.

Boston has been a contender all year including pre season. It's God's 5th year there with Ainge stacking the roster with top picks.

When Cleveland rebuilt on the fly at the All Star break they were written off. They were written off against Indianapolis

They played 4 great games against the Raptors

This whole the only reason Boston wins is because of Stevens and they lose because they're young is bullshit

IMO
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like the Cavs tonight by the way
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658

Boston has been a contender all year including pre season. It's God's 5th year there with Ainge stacking the roster with top picks.

When Cleveland rebuilt on the fly at the All Star break they were written off. They were written off against Indianapolis

This whole the only reason Boston wins is because of Stevens and they lose because they're young is bullshit

IMO

Stevens is winning with Aron FUCKING Baynes in the post.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

IMO

You always talk about stars. Who is Boston’s true, bonafied All Star? They don’t have one. Yet here they are in the ECF after losing their top two players.

You’re becoming Svenlike with your arguments.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

IMO

You always talk about stars. Who is Boston’s true, bonafied All Star? They don’t have one. Yet here they are in the ECF after losing their top two players.

Lol they do but they're hurt. Which is even more of a indictment on Steven's ability to coach. He's amazing.

IMO

Lol they do but they're hurt. Which is even more of a indictment on Steven's ability to coach. He's amazing.
    Indictment?

IMO

Exactly. Al Horford is their best player. So Horford is what, a top 30 player in the league?