Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Final 4 National Semi-Final Game - #1 Led Zeppelin vs #2 The Rolling Stones

2»

Comments

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #1 Led Zeppelin

Cripple fight.

It would be great for AC/DC to beat the Beatles, but beating fucking Led Zep? What a nightmare.

All this proves is that we have a bunch of mid 30s-40s white guys.

Super duper.

I'm in my 50's fuckhead.

Wanna race???
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    salemcoog said:

Cripple fight.

It would be great for AC/DC to beat the Beatles, but beating fucking Led Zep? What a nightmare.

Super duper.

I'm in my 50's fuckhead.

Wanna race???

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #2 The Rolling Stones
    BearsWiin said:

Stuck around St. Petersburg when I saw it was a time for a change...
    I almost chinned this poast. Almost.
    If you are a legit history noyd, then Sympathy is rather easily the best song of all time about historical events.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited May 2018
    #1 Led Zeppelin

BearsWiin said:

If you are a legit history noyd, then Sympathy is rather easily the best song of all time about historical events.
    Anybody can make historical references in a song. What makes Sympathy different and better than, say, We Didn't Start the Fire, is that it also makes references to the greatest novel to come out of the Soviet Union, and maybe one of the top three works of fiction written in the last hundred years. Fuck Pasternak, Bulgakov was the shit.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #2 The Rolling Stones

Cripple fight.

Super duper.

Pretty much this.

chuck said:

Fuck I don't know. Beatles should be here and beat either of them, but I can't call either undeserving. Ask me later and my vote would probably change.

Kewl and meaningful lyrics matter a lot to me in terms of my taste and the Stones excelled in this regard. Zeppelin was mostly of steaming pile of shit when it came to lyrics.
    And this.

Zep is good "party" music. I don't really see it sitting on the top of the pile of all time rock and roll the way the stones are.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #2 The Rolling Stones
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Anybody can make historical references in a song. What makes Sympathy different and better than, say, We Didn't Start the Fire, is that it also makes references to the greatest novel to come out of the Soviet Union, and maybe one of the top three works of fiction written in the last hundred years. Fuck Pasternak, Bulgakov was the shit.
    It's almost like you are Soviet Union Superiority Guy sometimes.
    #1 Led Zeppelin

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I grew up during the Cold War. In order to best your adversary, you need to understnad him
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #2 The Rolling Stones

Cripple fight.

Super duper.

Pretty much this.

chuck said:

Fuck I don't know. Beatles should be here and beat either of them, but I can't call either undeserving. Ask me later and my vote would probably change.

Kewl and meaningful lyrics matter a lot to me in terms of my taste and the Stones excelled in this regard. Zeppelin was mostly of steaming pile of shit when it came to lyrics.
    And this.

Zep is good "party" music. I don't really see it sitting on the top of the pile of all time rock and roll the way the stones are.
    I don't think you should discount Zep's overall importance. They the most influential "heavy" band of all time. Hell, they even sold a lot more records than the Stones, NTTM.

For me, it's pretty much as simple as the best Rolling Stones songs are better than the best Zeppelin ones. And they had about 5 years of great songs before Zeppelin debuted and another couple of good to great records after Zeppelin's last effort. The ability of the Stones to be at the top of their game for nearly two decades - i.e., 1964- 81 - is unmatched by any of their peers in this tournament.

Beatles - 8 years (1962- 70)
    Led Zeppelin - 10 years (1969- 79)
    AC DC - 7 years (1974- 81)
    Metallica - 8 years (1983- 1991)
    Rolling Stones - 17 years (1964- 81)
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #2 The Rolling Stones
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I grew up during the Cold War. In order to best your adversary, you need to understnad him
    At bottom of Kremlin's neurotic view of world affairs is traditional and instinctive Russian sense of insecurity. Originally, this was insecurity of a peaceful agricultural people trying to live on vast exposed plain in neighborhood of fierce nomadic peoples. To this was added, as Russia came into contact with economically advanced West, fear of more competent, more powerful, more highly organized societies in that area. But this latter type of insecurity was one which afflicted rather Russian rulers than Russian people; for Russian rulers have invariably sensed that their rule was relatively archaic in form fragile and artificial in its psychological foundation, unable to stand comparison or contact with political systems of Western countries. For this reason they have always feared foreign penetration, feared direct contact between Western world and their own, feared what would happen if Russians learned truth about world without or if foreigners learned truth about world within. And they have learned to seek security only in patient but deadly struggle for total destruction of rival power, never in compacts and compromises with it.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited May 2018
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    Putin was a Rolling Stone.

The Bolsheviks want us to believe the Stones were always better at capturing the essence of 'Merican music- i.e., blues, soul, roots and country than the comp set inc Zeppelin. Now this.....

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

... for Russian rulers have invariably sensed that their rule was relatively archaic in form fragile and artificial in its psychological foundation, unable to stand comparison or contact with political systems of Western countries. For this reason they have always feared foreign penetration, feared direct contact between Western world and their own, feared what would happen if Russians learned truth about world without or if foreigners learned truth about world within. And they have learned to seek security only in patient but deadly struggle for total destruction of rival power, never in compacts and compromises with it.

Swaye's Wigwam
    #2 The Rolling Stones

The Bolsheviks want us to believe the Stones were always better at capturing the essence of 'Merican music- i.e., blues, soul, roots and country than the comp set inc Zeppelin. Now this.....

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

... for Russian rulers have invariably sensed that their rule was relatively archaic in form fragile and artificial in its psychological foundation, unable to stand comparison or contact with political systems of Western countries. For this reason they have always feared foreign penetration, feared direct contact between Western world and their own, feared what would happen if Russians learned truth about world without or if foreigners learned truth about world within. And they have learned to seek security only in patient but deadly struggle for total destruction of rival power, never in compacts and compromises with it.

It was a short term marriage of convenience and that's it.
    edited May 2018
    #1 Led Zeppelin

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Read and Fisher wrote a great book (Deadly Embrace) about it many years ago but didn't take the thesis far enough, possibly because they hadn't seen Suvorov's Icebreaker work yet
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #2 The Rolling Stones
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Read and Fisher wrote a great book (Deadly Embrace) about it many years ago but didn't take the thesis far enough, possibly because they hadn't seen Suvorov's Icebreaker work yet
    Damn kiddies cramp my style lately when it comes to book learnin' but I recall your recommending Icebreaker.
    edited May 2018
    #1 Led Zeppelin

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Damn kiddies cramp my style lately when it comes to book learnin' but I recall your recommending Icebreaker.
    Others have taken the work further, and Icebreaker is a bit hyperbolic and his timeline is off, even if the general premise is one I can get on bored with. Inside the Aquarium is a more fun work to read by Suvorov; it's a recounting of his own experiences in the GRU before he defected to the British.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #2 The Rolling Stones
    Stones get the Hammer of the Gods 28-20. Zep onto the Natty game.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    #2 The Rolling Stones
    You're all fags.