Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sweet 16 (late 1970's to mid 1980's) - #3 Van Halen vs #7 Queen

13»

Comments

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #7 Queen

Wow - the gayme is tied up 20-20 with less than 24 hours to go. So far, I've only had to use my tie breaking skillz once which is a good thing.

All this Queen love just tells me there is a disproportionate number of closeted fags on HH.
    Butt rock is what frat boys listen to while munching on their gookie cookie. It's the height of closeted poofery. HTH.
    I don't think you know what butt rock is.
    Stations used to say "nothing but rock" i.e. butt rock

While plenty of it included nu-metal and all that garbage those stations were also notorious for playing 80's hair metal and "hard rock" ad nauseam. If you wanted to listen to a weekend marathon of 80's hardrock you turned it to the butt rock station. If you wanted to listen to grunge or other "alternative" rock then you listened to the "alternative" station(including shitty punk rock). I still remember it was a big fucking deal when our local "butt rock" station finally broke down and played Smells like Teen Spirit. All the Butt rockers locally were outraged! That was the terminology I grew up using in my peer group locally, I have no doubt it was different for different people.

So, if you want to be real technical, VH might fall out of that category but then you are arguing the semantics of musical classification. Which, I guess one could do on this bored but I'll continue to still use it as a derogatory classification for all the generic throw away rock that populated the 80's and early 90's.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,793
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen

Wow - the gayme is tied up 20-20 with less than 24 hours to go. So far, I've only had to use my tie breaking skillz once which is a good thing.

All this Queen love just tells me there is a disproportionate number of closeted fags on HH.
    Butt rock is what frat boys listen to while munching on their gookie cookie. It's the height of closeted poofery. HTH.

While plenty of it included nu-metal and all that garbage those stations were also notorious for playing 80's hair metal and "hard rock" ad nauseam. If you wanted to listen to a weekend marathon of 80's hardrock you turned it to the butt rock station. If you wanted to listen to grunge or other "alternative" rock then you listened to the "alternative" station(including shitty punk rock). I still remember it was a big fucking deal when our local "butt rock" station finally broke down and played Smells like Teen Spirit. All the Butt rockers locally were outraged! That was the terminology I grew up using in my peer group locally, I have no doubt it was different for different people.

So, if you want to be real technical, VH might fall out of that category but then you are arguing the semantics of musical classification. Which, I guess one could do on this bored but I'll continue to still use it as a derogatory classification for all the generic throw away rock that populated the 80's and early 90's.
    VH was the primary influence on so much of the nothing but rock that followed in the 1980's. I don't think they technically fit as you allude to, but don't object to their being in the same family tree. Van Hager is definitely but rock.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #7 Queen

VH was the primary influence on so much of the nothing but rock that followed in the 1980's. I don't think they technically fit as you allude to, but don't object to their being in the same family tree. Van Hager is definitely but rock.
    This is a fair point, Van Hager is what I knew Van Halen as when I was younger(and what was played on the radio) so they got lumped into the category by default. Don't let Sway read this but ACDC was definitely in the butt rock camp. The difference for me being they didn't make generic and boring music that seemed to come out of the 80's corporate music factories. To me, a lot of the 80's rock scene was so consumed with it's own image and materialism that it lacks any of the soul of the rock of the 60's & 70's while simultaneously lacking any interesting experimental or technical elements. It was produced for the masses and consumed by the masses. Maybe, had I been a bit older, I would have appreciated more of the technical aspects of 80's rock but it seems to me like you need to hunt into sub-genres(80's metal is revolutionary) to actually find that in most 80's music, or, ironically, look at 80's pop music where there was a ton of experimentation being done.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen

This is a fair point, Van Hager is what I knew Van Halen as when I was younger(and what was played on the radio) so they got lumped into the category by default. Don't let Sway read this but ACDC was definitely in the butt rock camp. The difference for me being they didn't make generic and boring music that seemed to come out of the 80's corporate music factories. To me, a lot of the 80's rock scene was so consumed with it's own image and materialism that it lacks any of the soul of the rock of the 60's & 70's while simultaneously lacking any interesting experimental or technical elements. It was produced for the masses and consumed by the masses. Maybe, had I been a bit older, I would have appreciated more of the technical aspects of 80's rock but it seems to me like you need to hunt into sub-genres(80's metal is revolutionary) to actually find that in most 80's music, or, ironically, look at 80's pop music where there was a ton of experimentation being done.
    I think you hit on a great point here - i.e., the music having a soul and some originality to it that separates an artist from falling into butt rock. I think early Van Halen and 1974- 81 AC DC had this and should never be considered butt rock. Much of the rest of the late 70's and 80's not so much.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2018
    #3 Van Halen

Jesus.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #7 Queen
    dflea said:

Jesus.
    Simply saying they were played on the butt rock stations. Don't twist. I don't consider them butt rock.
  • El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,085
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen
    Van Halen was the American Led Zeppelin from 78-84. The first four VH records hold up to this day. And dont get down on Diver Down, there are some pretty good tunes on it. and remove Jump and I'll Wait from 1984, and 1984 is a total rock record
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen
    I bought all those VH records used for a $1.99 each. Stupid hipsters just don't get VH therefore no supply issues in the used bins.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #7 Queen

I bought all those VH records used for a $1.99 each. Stupid hipsters just don't get VH therefore no supply issues in the used bins.
    TBF regular people don't give a shit about VH either. Still, I found the part from the video about Sammy Hagar hilarious regardless.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,074
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #7 Queen

TBF regular people don't give a shit about VH either. Still, I found the part from the video about Sammy Hagar hilarious regardless.
    Last time I checked there wasn't a Queen cover band headlining at Taste of Edmonds for 5 years running. Fag.
    Queen cover bands are busy headlining more prestigious events like taste of Capitol Hill.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,653
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    #3 Van Halen
    You're all fags.
  • El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,085
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen
    Nerf Herder put out a new record a few years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AiBAez4fp4
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,058
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    #3 Van Halen

Last time I checked there wasn't a Queen cover band headlining at Taste of Edmonds for 5 years running. Fag.
    When I saw the Atomic Punks somewhere around 2004 it was basically Steel Panther that was the band