Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sweet 16 (early 1970's) - #1 Led Zeppelin vs #5 Pink Floyd

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,846
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Sweet 16 (early 1970's) - #1 Led Zeppelin vs #5 Pink Floyd 42 votes

#1 Led Zeppelin
64%
Fire_Marshall_BillSwayeSoutherndawgCirrhosisDawgPurpleJDennis_DeYoungUWhuskytskeetCokeGreaterThanPepsidncalumni94dfleaTequillabiak1Bad_MotherDuckerGrundleStiltzkinKaepskneeCougzzAlexisuziIPukeOregonGrellow 27 votes
#5 Pink Floyd
35%
RoadDawg55Mad_SonDeepSeaZAZDuckBlackieYouKnowItchuckoregonblitzkriegDude61HuskyInAZLebamDawgtheknowledgeNEsnake12NorwegianHuskyUW_Doog_Bot 15 votes

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    The wizards and shit die now.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,609
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #5 Pink Floyd
    I love Led but better than Pink Floyd? Fuck people. Anyone value songwriting at all?
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,085
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #5 Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin doesn't stand the test of time like Pink Floyd does.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,459
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    Mad_Son said:

Probably the worst post I have ever seen. Seriously? What the fuck?
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,085
    #5 Pink Floyd
    PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

We understand the character. At least it ages better than Zeppelin.

Ask any millennial and they can name more songs from dark side of the moon alone than they can from the entire led Zeppelin repertoire. You probably didn't know more than Kashmir and stairway to heaven before you broke out Google. Where is puppy to run someone when you need him...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    Mad_Son said:

PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

Ask any millennial and they can name more songs from dark side of the moon alone than they can from the entire led Zeppelin repertoire. You probably didn't know more than Kashmir and stairway to heaven before you broke out Google. Where is puppy to run someone when you need him...
    Pink Floyd comes off like a bunch of faggy teenage angst edgelords. Whaaa my teacher is mean! Another brick in the wall, mannnn! Besides that, they don't have half the musical ability of Zeppelin. It's laughable that you even think it's close.

As for staying power, I've been listening to Zep since I was a young teen and I can turn on just about any song by them and enjoy it just as much as the first time I heard it. Bonus points if it's live. Fuck outta here.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #5 Pink Floyd
    PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

Pink Floyd comes off like a bunch of faggy teenage angst edgelords. Whaaa my teacher is mean! Another brick in the wall, mannnn! Besides that, they don't have half the musical ability of Zeppelin. It's laughable that you even think it's close.

As for staying power, I've been listening to Zep since I was a young teen and I can turn on just about any song by them and enjoy it just as much as the first time I heard it. Bonus points if it's live. Fuck outta here.
    Led was capable, but generally insufferable and self indulgent live. Robert plant was no better on stage than your average drag queen imitating 80s hair metal front man.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    #5 Pink Floyd
    This was a really tough choice. As a part-time professional tripper I'm torn between wizards and mist on the one hand, and strobe lights and spacy cosmic stuff on the other. First time I dropped acid and the walls started moving and sounds became enhanced, I listened to Pink Floyd and just sat and stared at the walls for hours, mind blown.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2018
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    chuck said:

PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

Led was capable, but generally insufferable and self indulgent live. Robert plant was no better on stage than your average drag queen imitating 80s hair metal front man.
    Your opinion is wrong. NOGAF about Robert Plant's stuffed trousers. It's about the music man. Zeppelin invented the 1980s.

Besides, OBK prefers Pink Floyd so that pretty much clinches it. Retards gonna retard.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited May 2018
    #5 Pink Floyd
    PurpleJ said:

chuck said:

PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

I'm THE #1 noogie gettin toofless tactown tweaker. BAWITDABA BITCHES!!111!!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    I rest my case.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,177
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #5 Pink Floyd
    PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

You haven't been around enough lately if this is the worst
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    My brother’s two favorite bands. They both suck.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #5 Pink Floyd
    PurpleJ said:

chuck said:

PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

Besides, OBK prefers Pink Floyd so that pretty much clinches it.
    You do make a good point. Hmm...
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,793
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    Mad_Son said:

PurpleJ said:

Mad_Son said:

Who's Pink Floyd again?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    I was listening to Led Zeppelin I last night for perspective. Lyrically, they were Blues cliché dreck but god damn could those dudes fucking play right out of the gate. That's the thing about Zeppelin and the competition...very few heavy rock artists could hold their fucking jock strap in terms of talent. Floyd spent like 6 years fucking around before having a great record (Piper at the Gates is overrated crap).
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #5 Pink Floyd
    You nailed the key thing about Led in my mind which is how they burst out of the gate. Everything was a rip-off and cliche except how they did it, which was in a fully realized and completely new style. IDGAF that Dazed and Confused was an uncredited rip-off. They mangled it into something completely unique and glorious.

I think they had almost as many stumbles as successes after their first album, and seeing/hearing them live gets downright embarrassing at times, but when they we're good they were on their own level. That continued all the way to the end though your casual music fan probably can't name a song (aside from Kashmir) from after Houses of the Holy.

I ripped on them a bit because just like pink Floyd better, but Led Zeppelin is right up there near the top on my all time list.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    chuck said:

You nailed the key thing about Led in my mind which is how they burst out of the gate. Everything was a rip-off and cliche except how they did it, which was in a fully realized and completely new style. IDGAF that Dazed and Confused was an uncredited rip-off. They mangled it into something completely unique and glorious.

I think they had almost as many stumbles as successes after their first album, and seeing/hearing them live gets downright embarrassing at times, but when they we're good they were on their own level. That continued all the way to the end though your casual music fan probably can't name a song (aside from Kashmir) from after Houses of the Holy.

I ripped on them a bit because just like pink Floyd better, but Led Zeppelin is right up there near the top on my all time list.

Someday I will do a thread about all the rip offs the first two LZ records. Still doesn't really matter much to me in the big scheme of things because of the overall quality of their craft. Funny how much 10- 15 years age difference makes in people's taste. I went to UW in the mid to late 90's, so a good 25 years post LZ's final album, and yet we all knew every Zeppelin record (including Presence and In Through The Out Door) front to back. But according to all you younger guys, no kiddies in their mid 20's know Zeppelin that well.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #5 Pink Floyd

chuck said:

Someday I will do a thread about all the rip offs the first two LZ records. Still doesn't really matter much to me in the big scheme of things because of the overall quality of their craft. Funny how much 10- 15 years age difference makes in people's taste. I went to UW in the mid to late 90's, so a good 25 years post LZ's final album, and yet we all knew every Zeppelin record (including Presence and In Through The Out Door) front to back. But according to all you younger guys, no kiddies in their mid 20's know Zeppelin that well.
    I was about five years ahead of you. I believe I actually heard In Through the Out Door on record when it came out. I'm older than I look in print.

It's not really about age though. A lot of my friends flat out refuse to listen to anything labeled as classic rock and assume that Stairway was the only song they ever made. My generation was into rebelling against the old timer acts like Led Zeppelin in favor of reggae, hip-hop, grunge and funk...little of which I could stand at the time (I "discovered" grunge around 2005 or so lol). My son, at age 19, knows the entire catalogs of The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin at least as well as I do.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    chuck said:

chuck said:

I was about five years ahead of you. I believe I actually heard In Through the Out Door on record when it came out. I'm older than I look in print.

It's not really about age though. A lot of my friends flat out refuse to listen to anything labeled as classic rock and assume that Stairway was the only song they ever made. My generation was into rebelling against the old timer acts like Led Zeppelin in favor of reggae, hip-hop, grunge and funk...little of which I could stand at the time (I "discovered" grunge around 2005 or so lol). My son, at age 19, knows the entire catalogs of The Beatles, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin at least as well as I do.
    That's good parenting right there.