Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sweet 16 (late 1970's to mid 1980's) - #3 Van Halen vs #7 Queen

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Sweet 16 (late 1970's to mid 1980's) - #3 Van Halen vs #7 Queen 51 votes

#3 Van Halen
45%
Fire_Marshall_BillSoutherndawgCirrhosisDawgRoadDawg55DeepSeaZPurpleJAtomicDawgDennis_DeYoungalumni94chuckdfleaPurpleThrobberBad_MotherDuckerGrundleStiltzkinKaepskneeEwaDawgAlexisBasemanIPukeOregonGrellowYellowSnow 23 votes
#7 Queen
54%
SwayewhlinderThomasFremontMad_SonAZDuckBlackieUWhuskytskeetYouKnowItCokeGreaterThanPepsidncoregonblitzkriegTequillabiak1CougzzJaWarrenJaHookerHuskyInAZuziLebamDawgDoog_de_JourBearsWiin 28 votes

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    #7 Queen
    I like the upset potential here
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #7 Queen
    Tequilla said:

I like the upset potential here

@Doog_de_Jour is a for sure Queen vote. So that's one. @Dennis_DeYoung is reliably gay, so there's two.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    #7 Queen
    No judgement, but I’m kinda surprised @GrundleStiltzkin and @YellowSnow voted for Van Halen.

Founders Club
    #7 Queen

No judgement, but I’m kinda surprised @GrundleStiltzkin and @YellowSnow voted for Van Halen.

After @GrundleStiltzkin went U2 over Metallica, everything I thought I knew about the world has turned upside down.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter
    #3 Van Halen

Don’t have many f’s to give for either band. I can think of many more Van Halen songs off top than I can Queen. My favorite queen song is Nine Inch Nails cover of Get Down Make Love.
    Founders Club
    #7 Queen
    @backthepack has better musical tastes than most of the losers who lived through this music.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,658
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    #3 Van Halen
    For those keeping track, yesterday was the 37th anniversary of the release of Fair Warning.

Lord must strike that poor boy down.

Standard Supporter
    #3 Van Halen
    Swaye said:

After @GrundleStiltzkin went U2 over Metallica, everything I thought I knew about the world has turned upside down.
    Sorry Brave. I've listened to Achtung Baby probably a thousand tims. While every dickhead was fistpumpin "Exxxxiitttt light!" I was silently and morosely mouthing, "Baby baby baby, light my way" in the lonely backseat of a 87 Taurus.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen

I like Queen fine and they had some great songs, but they just don't do it for me in the way the Diamond Dave era VH does. I've played the shit out of all of the first 6 VH records to the point of wearing out the grooves figuratively speaking, of course (my TT is set up perfectly with a tracking force of 1.75 grams).
    Standard Supporter
    #3 Van Halen

I like Queen fine and they had some great songs, but they just don't do it for me in the way the Diamond Dave era VH does. I've played the shit out of all of the first 6 VH records to the point of wearing out the grooves figuratively speaking, of course (my TT is set up perfectly with a tracking force of 1.75 grams).
    You even scratch bro?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen

You even scratch bro?
    Hells no bruh. I got one belt drive deck and no microphone.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #7 Queen
    Queen is timeless and eternal.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #7 Queen

Idk maybe it's my age but VH just seems like a lot of other boring "generic rock" that was put out in the 80's. It's the type of stuff that's perfectly suited to car commercials. Nothing controversial and can make a bunch of old guys with middle incomes associate a mid-tier, moderately priced vehicle with their youth.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen

Idk maybe it's my age but VH just seems like a lot of other boring "generic rock" that was put out in the 80's. It's the type of stuff that's perfectly suited to car commercials. Nothing controversial and can make a bunch of old guys with middle incomes associate a mid-tier, moderately priced vehicle with their youth.
    Huh. Eddie Van Halen being one of the most influential and original rock guitarist of all time is kinda the opposite of "generic rock". Nobody sounded like him whatsoever prior to 1978. Yeah, they were a "party" band, but the musicianship and the songwriting was terrific.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2018
    #7 Queen

Huh. Eddie Van Halen being one of the most influential and original rock guitarist of all time is kinda the opposite of "generic rock". Nobody sounded like him whatsoever prior to 1978. Yeah, they were a "party" band, but the musicianship and the songwriting was terrific.
    I see moments when Eddie gets to shine through but it's a whole lot of meh to get to those. He's "super" in comparison to a lot of other generic rock but if you are into metal and other technically challenging guitar oriented music then he's "cool enough" while all the rest of the vocals/lyrics, harmonies, and everything else is super boring. "Eruption" is cool but my metal head friends were figuring out how to play it at 16...
    Just to be clear I was a shitty punk rocker and could at best play three chord songs so don't twist.

Idk put EVH with a different band and you could have had something much more interesting.

Edit: I've actually been listening to VH just to try and understand what everyone is on about but I really just don't get it.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen

I see moments when Eddie gets to shine through but it's a whole lot of meh to get to those. He's "super" in comparison to a lot of other generic rock but if you are into metal and other technically challenging guitar oriented music then he's "cool enough" while all the rest of the vocals/lyrics, harmonies, and everything else is super boring. "Eruption" is cool but my metal head friends were figuring out how to play it at 16...
    Just to be clear I was a shitty punk rocker and could at best play three chord songs so don't twist.

Idk put EVH with a different band and you could have had something much more interesting.

Edit: I've actually been listening to VH just to try and understand what everyone is on about but I really just don't get it.
    I don't like my hard rock or metal to be too "technical" or overly "progressive"- e.g., I could never get into a group like Tool. If I want to go that route I find myself listening more and more to classical LPs.
    Founders Club
    #7 Queen

I don't like my hard rock or metal to be too "technical" or overly "progressive"- e.g., I could never get into a group like Tool. If I want to go that route I find myself listening more and more to classical LPs.
    I love Tool, but I could never get into Dream Theater, because as much as I love how technical Metallica is, Dream Theater takes it to an absurd level.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #7 Queen

Gotta remember I'm listening to Van Halen at the earliest 10 years after they were popular. Any points they would have received for being "first" at the time are pretty washed for me. I can listen to Eddie and think, "Oh yeah, his guitar work is pretty good." but it's not wowing me on any progress scale because I'm listening to it in a spectrum of music and not in that moment in 1981 where it comes on the radio for the first time and is new and fresh. The rest of the band registers completely flat for me as uninteresting pablum. Put that together = meh, another generic 80's rock group that had a good guitarist who could shred and a lot of filler band mates with some "defying the man" front-man that a corporation marketed.

I'm all for technical simplicity in music. I still listen to punk rock after all. My point was that Eddie is only a guitar god if your measuring him in the small pond that is 80's pop/rock.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen

Gotta remember I'm listening to Van Halen at the earliest 10 years after they were popular. Any points they would have received for being "first" at the time are pretty washed for me. I can listen to Eddie and think, "Oh yeah, his guitar work is pretty good." but it's not wowing me on any progress scale because I'm listening to it in a spectrum of music and not in that moment in 1981 where it comes on the radio for the first time and is new and fresh. The rest of the band registers completely flat for me as uninteresting pablum. Put that together = meh, another generic 80's rock group that had a good guitarist who could shred and a lot of filler band mates with some "defying the man" front-man that a corporation marketed.

I'm all for technical simplicity in music. I still listen to punk rock after all. My point was that Eddie is only a guitar god if your measuring him in the small pond that is 80's pop/rock.
    And my weakness being a History major and all is I picture what it would have been like in 1978 to hear Eddie do his thing for the first time. I don't concern myself as much with the fact that some 16 year old kid nowadays can figure out Eruption. It's the same thing Chuck Berry. By today's standard's he's not a virtuoso, but he was the first and that's important in a lot of ways.