Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DDY Fast Strategy White Head Coach Hall of Fame

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

So the median household income for Yuba City, CA, is like $32K. You'd think Pete would be a bit more PWT Fast Strategy.

Just to make this clear: Life History strategy is about two types of resources: physical and emotional.

If your mom had good nutrition and was not stressed when she was pregnant and if your parents provided for your emotionally and physically in your first 5-6 years, you are going to be slow strategy.

Also, if you are an older sibling you are more likely to be slow (womb quality declines as # of births increase).

I think Pete is the oldest child of a two-parents household with a stable income. That is almost always going to result in SS kids.

Almost all (not all, I take pity of the SS people) my friends are FS. This is how it happened:
    1. Poor white kid from GA whose dad got laid off because he had a disease during his mom's pregnancy. Dirt poor. Moved to Sumner and lived in a trailer.
    2. Third child born to poor black people in South Dallas in 1970. Dad was an alcoholic and gambler who was cheating on mom. Also, Dallas was still de facto segregated.
    3. Poor black kid, mom was abandoned during pregnancy by dad in NYC. They were homeless and had to live with grandparents and relatives during first 6-7 years of his life (this guy went to Harvard, btw).
    4. I was adopted, bio-mom a heroin addict who got dumped by her rock-n-roll boyfriend in NYC. Moved to Ellensburg to be with her big bro and kick during pregnancy. She died of AIDS in SF in the late 80s from sharing needles. My dad is FS and FS men especially hate adopted kids when they are broke and that's what we were.

But it doesn't always have to be so dramatic... another friend, FS: mom was in grad school during pregnancy going through quals, 3rd kid.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

So the median household income for Yuba City, CA, is like $32K. You'd think Pete would be a bit more PWT Fast Strategy.

Just to make this clear: Life History strategy is about two types of resources: physical and emotional.

If your mom had good nutrition and was not stressed when she was pregnant and if your parents provided for your emotionally and physically in your first 5-6 years, you are going to be slow strategy.

Also, if you are an older sibling you are more likely to be slow (womb quality declines as # of births increase).

I think Pete is the oldest child of a two-parents household with a stable income. That is almost always going to result in SS kids.

Almost all (not all, I take pity of the SS people) my friends are FS. This is how it happened:
    1. Poor white kid from GA whose dad got laid off because he had a disease during his mom's pregnancy. Dirt poor. Moved to Sumner and lived in a trailer.
    2. Third child born to poor black people in South Dallas in 1970. Dad was an alcoholic and gambler who was cheating on mom. Also, Dallas was still de facto segregated.
    3. Poor black kid, mom was abandoned during pregnancy by dad in NYC. They were homeless and had to live with grandparents and relatives during first 6-7 years of his life (this guy went to Harvard, btw).
    4. I was adopted, bio-mom a heroin addict who got dumped by her rock-n-roll boyfriend in NYC. Moved to Ellensburg to be with her big bro and kick during pregnancy. She died of AIDS in SF in the late 80s from sharing needles. My dad is FS and FS men especially hate adopted kids when they are broke and that's what we were.

But it doesn't always have to be so dramatic... another friend, FS: mom was in grad school during pregnancy going through quals, 3rd kid.
    Just out of curiosity is there a study or book you can recommend on developmental strategies?
  • Options

Just out of curiosity is there a study or book you can recommend on developmental strategies?
    Want to read some academic papers, or nah? If so... Kaplan and Gangestad, 2005 is where you should start.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,862
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I've been binge watching trailer parks boys lately, and was thinking of trailer park FS living in Yuba City. Admittedly, I don't know Pete's bio pre Davis, but would have guessed him to be slow strategy.

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Want to read some academic papers, or nah? If so... Kaplan and Gangestad, 2005 is where you should start.
    TYFYS.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,180
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Academis are important.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,180
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This suddenly explained a whole lot about my own life...
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,573
  • Options

I'm so lost

Aren't you an ASU fan that went to Oregon State?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,573

I'm so lost

No

I just thought fast strategy was a euphemism for black.

• Options

I'm so lost

No

No. Here's an ASU vid from their evolutionary medicine series (ASU has a great human-evolution research group) where the guy who first started these concepts explains what it is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYuapm-BgY
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,862
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm so lost

No

No. Here's an ASU vid from their evolutionary medicine series (ASU has a great human-evolution research group) where the guy who first started these concepts explains what it is:
    Quilcine Oyster Pump n' Dump!
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

was?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    AIRWOLF said:

was?
    Fair. But at that time his dad was a caddy at the Dallas Country Club and literally had to have a pass to get off the bus in Highland Park. Now, Emmitt Smith lives there.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I'm so lost

No

I watched it.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,445
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What kind strategy is Pete though?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,445
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm so lost

No

Yeah but it’s ASU. They all got their degrees online
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I'm so lost

No

ASU?? This whole timeI thought this was Ivy level shit and you come in here with fucking Phoenix University?

• Options
    dnc said:

I'm so lost

No

ASU?? This whole timeI thought this was Ivy level shit and you come in here with fucking Phoenix University?

I like to act like there's no different between undergraduate and graduate education at R-1 universities. I like to do that. That's what I like to do.