Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Round 1 (60's Groups) - #8 Creedence Clearwater Revival vs #9 Cream

2»

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    #9 Cream

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

White Room and Sunshine of Your Love better than anything CCR could ever dream of

Disagree. The rhythm section and groove of Born on the Bayou is better than anything Cream could have dreamed of.

People forget that by the end of Cream's tenure, Clapton, was sick of the heavy stuff and wanted to go all in with roots rocks. Delaney and Bonney anyone? JJ Cale?

Try Hard White People roots rocks is the shit.
    Southern Rockers that don’t rock deserve to be lapping the sweat off of @WilburHooksHands taint
    WTF'd on two counts. First, CCR was not a southern band. They were from California attempting to emulate a Southern Rock sound. And second, some of the best music of the late 60's and early 70's rolled out of Florida and Georgia as well as from recording studios in Alabama. The Stones, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Eric Clapton, the Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Seger, Cat Stevens, and a whole lot more.
    You clearly missed the part where I said DON’T ROCK ... those you mention do

If you impersonate a Southerner you’re a Southerner in my book
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #8 Creedence Clearwater Revival

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Cream doesn't have many good songs, but CCR doesn't have any.

This was a tough choice. IMO, Cream was way more talented, but CCR had more "good" songs. Besides the Brits will probably win this tourney in the end, gotta go with an underdog.

Chinned for the fuck you, but Naptser hating Metallica?
    I could care less about Lars and his personal quest against Napster. Metallica not only created an entire style of music, even though they were first, nobody, out of hundreds of bands that have tried, have ever done it better. You would be hard pressed to find a band with more bona fide legendary songs in almost any genre - Mandatory Metallica routinely plays two dozen songs through the loop and every single one of them is bad ass. Handful of bands ever in any genre have that many "hits." Most well known bands have one or two great albums. Three if they are lucky. Less than a half dozen have 5 like Metallica, and 6 if you count Garage Days. All in an un-radio friendly format (8 minute songs?!?!?!), with no support from MTV or radio until One.

I get that I am a fanboy, but I was in a packed stadium listening to them in 1985, and then again last year - 32 years in between shows and they have only gotten louder, harder, and better. Best live shows ever. Ever. And I have seen a TON of bands live. They are just the GOAT.

#2 Metallica tips off tomorrow against cream puff #15 Black Keys. It's gonna get ugly in a hurry.
    RIP Black Keys.

I am most interested in Nirvana vs. Soundgarden. No question which band had more musical talent, but Kurt head shot has made them into something well beyond what they ever were in life.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

This was a tough choice. IMO, Cream was way more talented, but CCR had more "good" songs. Besides the Brits will probably win this tourney in the end, gotta go with an underdog.

I could care less about Lars and his personal quest against Napster. Metallica not only created an entire style of music, even though they were first, nobody, out of hundreds of bands that have tried, have ever done it better. You would be hard pressed to find a band with more bona fide legendary songs in almost any genre - Mandatory Metallica routinely plays two dozen songs through the loop and every single one of them is bad ass. Handful of bands ever in any genre have that many "hits." Most well known bands have one or two great albums. Three if they are lucky. Less than a half dozen have 5 like Metallica, and 6 if you count Garage Days. All in an un-radio friendly format (8 minute songs?!?!?!), with no support from MTV or radio until One.

I get that I am a fanboy, but I was in a packed stadium listening to them in 1985, and then again last year - 32 years in between shows and they have only gotten louder, harder, and better. Best live shows ever. Ever. And I have seen a TON of bands live. They are just the GOAT.

Chinned for the passion. Cheers!
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Yes. Almost all of this is true and spot on. If AC/DC and Metallica happen to show up in the final game - which they won't because not everyone kicks ass like we do - I'm going to have a fucking aneurysm trying to pick a winner. No, that's a lie - AC/DC wins that game 7 times out of 10. I know Metallica is going to win a few, because I've seen them live, too, and the show they did in Seattle with The Cult on the One tour could be the best concert I've ever seen. I left that show exhausted, and beat all to fuck from being in the pit when Metallica was going at full speed. They had the crowd seething like a human riptide, and just tore the fucking roof off the place - without Cliff there to pave the way. TBH, I thought that One show was better than when I saw them previously with Cliff.

I don't give a fuck about the Napster stuff, either. Just like I don't give a fuck about a musician's political beliefs. If that's how you pick your music, then you're a fucking donkey and you should drown yourself immediately.

Yella really spiced things up with the BOTB shit going on here. Makes you think. And care.

• dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

#2 Metallica tips off tomorrow against cream puff #15 Black Keys. It's gonna get ugly in a hurry.
    RIP Black Keys.

I am most interested in Nirvana vs. Soundgarden. No question which band had more musical talent, but Kurt head shot has made them into something well beyond what they ever were in life.
    Soundgarden wins this one quite easily. Cornell strung himself up to foul up Cobain's game plan.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Yes. Almost all of this is true and spot on. If AC/DC and Metallica happen to show up in the final game - which they won't because not everyone kicks ass like we do - I'm going to have a fucking aneurysm trying to pick a winner. No, that's a lie - AC/DC wins that game 7 times out of 10. I know Metallica is going to win a few, because I've seen them live, too, and the show they did in Seattle with The Cult on the One tour could be the best concert I've ever seen. I left that show exhausted, and beat all to fuck from being in the pit when Metallica was going at full speed. They had the crowd seething like a human riptide, and just tore the fucking roof off the place - without Cliff there to pave the way. TBH, I thought that One show was better than when I saw them previously with Cliff.

I don't give a fuck about the Napster stuff, either. Just like I don't give a fuck about a musician's political beliefs. If that's how you pick your music, then you're a fucking donkey and you should drown yourself immediately.

Yella really spiced things up with the BOTB shit going on here. Makes you think. And care.

Late 70s to early 80s plays late 90s to present in the semi final. So an @dflea vs @Swaye semi final fight to the death could be in the cards.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Tequilla said:

White Room and Sunshine of Your Love better than anything CCR could ever dream of

Disagree. The rhythm section and groove of Born on the Bayou is better than anything Cream could have dreamed of.

People forget that by the end of Cream's tenure, Clapton, was sick of the heavy stuff and wanted to go all in with roots rocks. Delaney and Bonney anyone? JJ Cale?

Try Hard White People roots rocks is the shit.
    Dunno how I forgot that CCR made Born on the Bayou. Fuck ya. Anything that made The Waterboy soundtrack gets my vote.
    Founders Club
    Good chit bored.

Couple thoughts....

Soundgarden was way more talented than Nirvana. Dave Grohl is the only Nirvana member with true talent. Soundgarden should win this one rather easily, say 34-17? I just know there are MANY fanboys of Kurt and thought he was some kind of tortured soul oracle that speaks to them from the grave or some shit. Look, everyone loved Smells Like Teen Spirit....but from there, uh, okay a few decent songs. Nothing Earth-shattering. At all. I'll go to my grave saying Rusty Cage > Anything Nirvana ever did. And, Chris Cornell had one of the most powerful voices in rock, like ever. I'm talking Ronnie James Dio level pipes.

ACDC vs. Metallica will be super interesting, and could go either way, though tbh I think with the group here ACDC will win that battle. And there isn't anything wrong with that. ACDC is number 3 on my all time band list, and they are so bad ass it isn't funny. I've seen them live twice, and they kick ass live as well. I just think Metallica edges them out for wall of sound and music complexity. But if you lose to ACDC, that isn't too humbling. The final 4 will be all time rock heavyweights. No shame in that.

1. Metallica
    2. Black Sabbath
    3. ACDC
    4. Led Zeppelin
    5. Tool

Reasonable to assume 3 out my top 5 all time bands will be in the FF. Wicked.
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Good chit bored.

Couple thoughts....

Soundgarden was way more talented than Nirvana. Dave Grohl is the only Nirvana member with true talent. Soundgarden should win this one rather easily, say 34-17? I just know there are MANY fanboys of Kurt and thought he was some kind of tortured soul oracle that speaks to them from the grave or some shit. Look, everyone loved Smells Like Teen Spirit....but from there, uh, okay a few decent songs. Nothing Earth-shattering. At all. I'll go to my grave saying Rusty Cage > Anything Nirvana ever did. And, Chris Cornell had one of the most powerful voices in rock, like ever. I'm talking Ronnie James Dio level pipes.

ACDC vs. Metallica will be super interesting, and could go either way, though tbh I think with the group here ACDC will win that battle. And there isn't anything wrong with that. ACDC is number 3 on my all time band list, and they are so bad ass it isn't funny. I've seen them live twice, and they kick ass live as well. I just think Metallica edges them out for wall of sound and music complexity. But if you lose to ACDC, that isn't too humbling. The final 4 will be all time rock heavyweights. No shame in that.

1. Metallica
    2. Black Sabbath
    3. ACDC
    4. Led Zeppelin
    5. Tool

Lot's to chin in that post, but I would swap 1. and 4., and probably replace 5. with any one of a number of other hard/metal rock bands, maybe even Judas Priest. But I am an old fart, Tool is a "new" band in my mind, a metal/prog rock band from the Grunge era.

Side note, IMO Led Zeppelin has become a "victim of their own success". Radio station overplay made it cool to hate on them, but goddamn they were nearly the perfect expression of a blues based hard rock band, and their first five albums were absolutely bang on. They were also epically talented. Plant, Page, Jones, Bonham. Crazy talent.
    I can totally understand most not having Tool in a Top 5 all time, but what they did to music to me was super different. I feel like they took what Pink Floyd did, hardened it up, and perfected it. Personal opinion.

Interesting argument re: talent. I think if you want to go by sheer musical talent, on the above list, then it is Led and Metallica as 1A and 1B. Those bands top to bottom had prodigies in almost every spot. Page and Hammett? Check. Hetfield and Plant? Check. Bonham and Ulrich? Check. Jones and Burton? Check. Just prodigious musical talent. Even the most ardent ACDC lover cannot reasonably make an argument that they have that level of actual musical talent. Same thing with Sabbath. As good as they were, they aren't musical geniuses top to bottom. Sabbath and ACDC just kick total ass. So yeah, good shit.

Here is Hetfield playing piano. He was a classicly trained pianist from a very young age. Not many know that. Everyone always wondered how Metallica could play such intricate arrangements at 125-175 BPM. That's why. They have an actual musician writing that shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AnOK6bhSKg
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Good chit bored.

Couple thoughts....

1. Metallica
    2. Black Sabbath
    3. ACDC
    4. Led Zeppelin
    5. Tool

Asshole. 1 and maybe 2 of my top 5 will make it.

1- Stones
    2- Beatles
    3- Who
    4- Dylan
    5- Zeppelin

All my shit is log jammed in one bracket.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Good chit bored.

Couple thoughts....

1. Metallica
    2. Black Sabbath
    3. ACDC
    4. Led Zeppelin
    5. Tool

Asshole. 1 and maybe 2 of my top 5 will make it.

1- Stones
    2- Beatles
    3- Who
    4- Dylan
    5- Zeppelin

All my shit is log jammed in one bracket.
    One of those doesn't belong.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

Good chit bored.

Couple thoughts....

1. Metallica
    2. Black Sabbath
    3. ACDC
    4. Led Zeppelin
    5. Tool

Soundgarden was more talented than Nirvana, but no Kurt and no grunge era, at least not outside of the northwest. It needed someone with pop star power to make it national (and then global) and Kurt was the only one who had that. This is why he'll always top Cornell and Nirvana will always top Soundgarden on these lists, talent gap be damned. Soundgarden was better but Nirvana was more important. And fuck, I still like AiC better than any of them but that's just me.

If Andy Wood never OD'd Kurt wouldn't have been necessary (and Vedder wouldn't have been a thing), but heroine is a fucking bitch.
  • DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    #9 Cream
    Eric Clapton
  • Bad_MotherDuckerBad_MotherDucker Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,309
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #9 Cream
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Good chit bored.

Couple thoughts....

1. Metallica
    2. Black Sabbath
    3. ACDC
    4. Led Zeppelin
    5. Tool

Lot's to chin in that post, but I would swap 1. and 4., and probably replace 5. with any one of a number of other hard/metal rock bands, maybe even Judas Priest. But I am an old fart, Tool is a "new" band in my mind, a metal/prog rock band from the Grunge era.

Side note, IMO Led Zeppelin has become a "victim of their own success". Radio station overplay made it cool to hate on them, but goddamn they were nearly the perfect expression of a blues based hard rock band, and their first five albums were absolutely bang on. They were also epically talented. Plant, Page, Jones, Bonham. Crazy talent.
    I can totally understand most not having Tool in a Top 5 all time, but what they did to music to me was super different. I feel like they took what Pink Floyd did, hardened it up, and perfected it. Personal opinion.

Interesting argument re: talent. I think if you want to go by sheer musical talent, on the above list, then it is Led and Metallica as 1A and 1B. Those bands top to bottom had prodigies in almost every spot. Page and Hammett? Check. Hetfield and Plant? Check. Bonham and Ulrich? Check. Jones and Burton? Check. Just prodigious musical talent. Even the most ardent ACDC lover cannot reasonably make an argument that they have that level of actual musical talent. Same thing with Sabbath. As good as they were, they aren't musical geniuses top to bottom. Sabbath and ACDC just kick total ass. So yeah, good shit.

Here is Hetfield playing piano. He was a classicly trained pianist from a very young age. Not many know that. Everyone always wondered how Metallica could play such intricate arrangements at 125-175 BPM. That's why. They have an actual musician writing that shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AnOK6bhSKg
    Good chit Swaye. When I was a zit-faced lad taking up the guitar in the early 80s the first 4 riffs I learned were the intros to Highway to Hell, Breaking the Law, Iron Man, and Smoke on the Water. Very easy chords, or simple notes in the case of Breaking the Law, for a guitarist to play. While these are epic songs by epic bands, their simplicity is such that I could teach my musically retarded friends how to play them in 1h.

The first time I tried to play Master of Puppets real time, the tendons in my left forearm were burning like a motherfucker. The opening riff with the chord slides are a bitch, and it's at 220 BPM. Factor in the time changes from 4/4 to 2/4 and they even throw in a 5/8 for fun. All of this for 8.5 min is fucking insane.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Clapton and co got creamed