Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The 2018 Hardcore Husky Battle of the Bands - Presented by YellowSnow's Record Shoppe

Comments

• whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    So for the long time artists who crossed eras they seem to be in era they started?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

So for the long time artists who crossed eras they seem to be in era they started?

That and when they were at their artistic peak. U2 for example started in the late 70s and early 80s but peaked in the late 80s and early 90s. Zeppelin started in the 60s but reached their zenith in the early 70s.
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Early 1970’s

Early 1970’s
    – Mid 1980’s

So what you're saying is that you really like the Early 1970's...
    *Late 1970's - Mid 1980's

But, yes, I do love the early 70's. Hopefully, I spelled all the names of the bands correctly.

Early 1970’s

Early 1970’s
    – Mid 1980’s

So what you're saying is that you really like the Early 1970's...
    *Late 1970's - Mid 1980's

But, yes, I do love the early 70's. Hopefully, I spelled all the names of the bands correctly.
    Radiohead

One word.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Didn't read thread after op...hopefully every post to date has mocked the omission of Alice in Chains.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Didn't read thread after op...hopefully every post to date has mocked the omission of Alice in Chains.

They lost a tough matchup in their conference tournament semi final to Soundgarden.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

They lost a tough matchup in their conference tournament semi final to Soundgarden.
    Shouldn't have needed the conference tourney. They would have been a top 4 seed.

You're awful good on this board so I'm going to just go be pissed alone and boycott this thread while I try to forgive you.
    Swaye's Wigwam

The truth about Rolling Stone is that, while they are dimbshits - rock n roll sort of died after Nirvana and all that.

There really hasn’t been much new or interesting and that’s just an artifact of the genre aging. A lot of cool shit is done around the origin point and then it gets a little tired and hard to innovate.

It’s the same in every genre.

This. My thoughts exactly. 90's have always felt like the end of the road for all time sort of great rock bands. Again, there's plenty from the 2000s my Millenial Doog friends that I listen to with great regularity and enjoyment. But they are NIT at best.

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

The truth about Rolling Stone is that, while they are dimbshits - rock n roll sort of died after Nirvana and all that.

There really hasn’t been much new or interesting and that’s just an artifact of the genre aging. A lot of cool shit is done around the origin point and then it gets a little tired and hard to innovate.

I'm always skeptical of the canard, "Everything good happened a long time ago," but I think there's some truth to that. Not rock n roll per se, but Amy Winehouse's Back to Black is my favorite album of the last 15 years. And it was refried Motown soul. Certainly not innovative. It was good because of the musicianship, production and Amy's style.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Shouldn't have needed the conference tourney. They would have been a top 4 seed.

You're awful good on this board so I'm going to just go be pissed alone and boycott this thread while I try to forgive you.
    Please accept my sincerest apologies for fucking over Alice in Chains. If it's any consolation I fucked myself over repeatedly leaving out bands and artists I would have ridden into the round of 32.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm always skeptical of the canard, "Everything good happened a long time ago," but I think there's some truth to that. Not rock n roll per se, but Amy Winehouse's Back to Black is my favorite album of the last 15 years. And it was refried Motown soul. Certainly not innovative. It was good because of the musicianship, production and Amy's style.
    Same is true of Neko. Great music from the past 15 years but doesn't really fit into this exercise.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

YellowSnow’s Record Shoppe would like to announce an Old Man Music, shit polling piece de resistance, The 2017 Hardcore Husky Battle of The Bands.

- 64 of the all-time great rock groups and solo artists from the 1960’s to the present (pop, R&B, country, hip hop, to be saved for another off-season)

- 4 groupings based on eras – i.e., 1960’s; early 1970’s; late 1970’s to mid 80’s; and late 80’s to the present - with artists seeded #1 to #16 in each grouping

- Each week we’ll cover a different round of voting, so think March Madness with your favorite rock artists until we crown a champion.

I tried to be as objective as possible with the seedings, using criteria like Rolling Stone’s 100 greatest artists, # All Music Guide 5 Star albums per artist, etc. All the being said, Jake Browing Sucks, some of your favorite artists (and mine too) didn’t make the cut. Oh well, they probably weren’t probably good enough to make a deep run anyhow. Thanks in advance for playing and hope you enjoy! Also shootout to @Tequilla for coming up with this idea; if it ends up sucking we can blame him.

The Groupings:

1960’s

1- The Beatles
    2- The Rolling Stones
    3- Bob Dylan
    4- Jimi Hendrix
    5- The Beach Boys
    6- The Kinks
    7- The Doors
    8- CCR
    9- Cream
    10- The Byrds
    11- Simon & Garfunkel
    12- The Band
    13- The Velvet Underground
    14- The Yardbirds
    15- Crosby, Stills and Nash
    16- Jefferson Airplane

Early 1970’s

1- Led Zeppelin
    2- The Who
    3- Neil Young
    4- David Bowie
    5- Pink Floyd
    6- Black Sabbath
    7- Lynyrd Skynyrd
    8- Van Morrison
    9- The Allman Brothers Band
    10- Steely Dan
    11- Elton John
    12- Grateful Dead
    13- ZZ Top
    14- Rod Stewart
    15- The Eagles
    16- Roxy Music

Early 1970’s – Mid 1980’s

1- AC DC
    2- Fleetwood Mac
    3- Van Halen
    4- Talking Heads
    5- The Clash
    6- Bruce Springsteen
    7- Queen
    8- Elvis Costello
    9- Tom Petty
    10- The Police
    11- The Ramones
    12- Def Leppard
    13- Aerosmith
    14- Stevie Ray Vaughn
    15- Rush
    16- Styx

Late 1980’s to Present

1- Nirvana Shit singer, garbage musicians, Foo Fighters were the best thing to come out of Nirvana and should easily be on this list ahead of them.
    2- Metallica
    3- U2 Old person music. Not relevant.
    4- The White Stripes CHRIST!!
    5- Guns n’ Roses Probably the worst singer to make it big in music history. Gives me rage attacks every time this shit band comes on the radio at the gym.
    6- REM Would only listen to this band if I were in the mood to kill myself.
    7- Radio Head Warbly crap, not a real band. Plays a bunch of shit and mashes it all together.
    8- Pearl Jam
    9- Beck Why do people like this dude? He hasn't been commercially relevant in over a decade, maybe longer.
    10- Red Hot Chili Peppers
    11- Weezer
    12- Rage Against The Machine
    13- Wilco Who?
    14- Black Crowes Look, I like this band, but to say they're top-16 over the past 30 years is ridiculous.
    15- Black Keys Have not produced enough to be up here.
    16- Soundgarden

I can tell you're old by the 1980's to Present list you've got up there.
    Founders Club
    Also, why do you hate Def Leppard?
    Swaye's Wigwam

YellowSnow’s Record Shoppe would like to announce an Old Man Music, shit polling piece de resistance, The 2017 Hardcore Husky Battle of The Bands.

- 64 of the all-time great rock groups and solo artists from the 1960’s to the present (pop, R&B, country, hip hop, to be saved for another off-season)

- 4 groupings based on eras – i.e., 1960’s; early 1970’s; late 1970’s to mid 80’s; and late 80’s to the present - with artists seeded #1 to #16 in each grouping

- Each week we’ll cover a different round of voting, so think March Madness with your favorite rock artists until we crown a champion.

I tried to be as objective as possible with the seedings, using criteria like Rolling Stone’s 100 greatest artists, # All Music Guide 5 Star albums per artist, etc. All the being said, Jake Browing Sucks, some of your favorite artists (and mine too) didn’t make the cut. Oh well, they probably weren’t probably good enough to make a deep run anyhow. Thanks in advance for playing and hope you enjoy! Also shootout to @Tequilla for coming up with this idea; if it ends up sucking we can blame him.

The Groupings:

1960’s

1- The Beatles
    2- The Rolling Stones
    3- Bob Dylan
    4- Jimi Hendrix
    5- The Beach Boys
    6- The Kinks
    7- The Doors
    8- CCR
    9- Cream
    10- The Byrds
    11- Simon & Garfunkel
    12- The Band
    13- The Velvet Underground
    14- The Yardbirds
    15- Crosby, Stills and Nash
    16- Jefferson Airplane

Early 1970’s

1- Led Zeppelin
    2- The Who
    3- Neil Young
    4- David Bowie
    5- Pink Floyd
    6- Black Sabbath
    7- Lynyrd Skynyrd
    8- Van Morrison
    9- The Allman Brothers Band
    10- Steely Dan
    11- Elton John
    12- Grateful Dead
    13- ZZ Top
    14- Rod Stewart
    15- The Eagles
    16- Roxy Music

Early 1970’s – Mid 1980’s

1- AC DC
    2- Fleetwood Mac
    3- Van Halen
    4- Talking Heads
    5- The Clash
    6- Bruce Springsteen
    7- Queen
    8- Elvis Costello
    9- Tom Petty
    10- The Police
    11- The Ramones
    12- Def Leppard
    13- Aerosmith
    14- Stevie Ray Vaughn
    15- Rush
    16- Styx

Late 1980’s to Present

1- Nirvana Shit singer, garbage musicians, Foo Fighters were the best thing to come out of Nirvana and should easily be on this list ahead of them.
    2- Metallica
    3- U2 Old person music. Not relevant.
    4- The White Stripes CHRIST!!
    5- Guns n’ Roses Probably the worst singer to make it big in music history. Gives me rage attacks every time this shit band comes on the radio at the gym.
    6- REM Would only listen to this band if I were in the mood to kill myself.
    7- Radio Head Warbly crap, not a real band. Plays a bunch of shit and mashes it all together.
    8- Pearl Jam
    9- Beck Why do people like this dude? He hasn't been commercially relevant in over a decade, maybe longer.
    10- Red Hot Chili Peppers
    11- Weezer
    12- Rage Against The Machine
    13- Wilco Who?
    14- Black Crowes Look, I like this band, but to say they're top-16 over the past 30 years is ridiculous.
    15- Black Keys Have not produced enough to be up here.
    16- Soundgarden

I can tell you're old by the 1980's to Present list you've got up there.
    Show up and rock the vote. If those bands/artists suck then they'll get crushed.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't. They are in as a #12 seed.
    Founders Club

I don't. They are in as a #12 seed.
    Todd Graham > my reading skillz
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,650