Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

NCAA approves new kickoff rule that states any ball fair-caught inside the 25 is a touchback

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club

CHRIST

Fix something that needs fixing. Like arbitrary targeting ejections.

Comments

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,100
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Que? I'm just completely confused by this.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Fine. Kickoffs are dangerous apparently. Fuck it.

I want football in my future.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    If you can actually return a ball it will likely help you as most teams will suck at coverage.

You will likely see more squib kicks as a result.

What I don’t like about it is when kickoffs are from the 50 that anything pooched negates the penalty leading to the kickoff at the 50. Possible more on-side kicks in those situations.

Just get to the point of taking kicking out of the game altogether honestly vs this we are trying to be safer but not really solving the issue in full
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

I get your point, but football isn’t going anywhere. It’s a bunch of pc bullshit. The kids getting weeded out from the danger stories never were the types to play college or NFL ball anyways.</>
    Isafnrc
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 3,967
    The new rule also allows a company who has naming rights display it's corporate logo rather than just the company name.

• Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,286
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Que? I'm just completely confused by this.

Instead of kicking touchbacks, teams have been kicking it high inside the 5 to force a return. This would remove the incentive to not kick a touchback
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    Why even have a kickoff at that point? Just let them start at the 10, and save us a few commercial breaks ffs.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

I get your point, but football isn’t going anywhere. It’s a bunch of pc bullshit. The kids getting weeded out from the danger stories never were he types to play college or NFL ball anyways.
    You think all the research on CTE is PC bullshit?

You must have impressive neurological research credentials to make that kind of statement! I didn’t realize you were a world renowned neurologist!!

It’s funny though because every world renowned neurologist I know thinks it’s fucking serious.

But I guess that’s not me just basing my thoughts on expert consensus. You guys all know I’m out of control with my PC agenda.

Many people say I’m the most PC guy they have ever met.

It’s probably true. That’s why I think football should be made as safe as possible. It’s not because it’s common sense and ensures football’s future in our society, it’s becajse I just want a PC society of safe spaces and kumbaya bull shit.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club

I just remembered Greg Schiano's proposal (which he came up with after Eric LeGrand's injury): Give the scoring team possession in a 4th and 15 on their own 30.

That way you still have a chance to keep possession, either via a fake punt or just a regular pass play. Otherwise you can just punt, which is while it still has its risks, is safer than a kickoff, while also being less predictable and boring to watch.

• CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646

I just remembered Greg Schiano's proposal (which he came up with after Eric LeGrand's injury): Give the scoring team possession in a 4th and 15 on their own 30.

That way you still have a chance to keep possession, either via a fake punt or just a regular pass play. Otherwise you can just punt, which is while it still has its risks, is safer than a kickoff, while also being less predictable and boring to watch.

I’ve never seen him say that, but I love it. For CFB I’d make it the 35 yard line. And if you don’t convert your opponent gets the ball at your 25.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I get your point, but football isn’t going anywhere. It’s a bunch of pc bullshit. The kids getting weeded out from the danger stories never were he types to play college or NFL ball anyways.

You must have impressive neurological research credentials to make that kind of statement! I didn’t realize you were a world renowned neurologist!!

It’s funny though because every world renowned neurologist I know thinks it’s fucking serious.

But I guess that’s not me just basing my thoughts on expert consensus. You guys all know I’m out of control with my PC agenda.

It’s probably true. That’s why I think football should be made as safe as possible. It’s not because it’s common sense and ensures football’s future in our society, it’s becajse I just want a PC society of safe spaces and kumbaya bull shit.
    Poe's law in full effect.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I can't wait for squib kicks on every KO now
  • jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    This might actually benefit us. Last year all we? did was try and loft kickoffs to the 5, inevitably getting roasted by decent returners. With incentives to fair catch it could work in our? favor.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    From a safety standpoint, this is the NCAA's way of getting to the elimination of ko's, just not in one fell swoop, but by gradually working it into the framework of the game.

You will also see many more squib kicks, along with sky kicks to between the 17-20 yard line where the up guys will have to make a decision to fair catch it or try and get it out past the 25.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club

This might actually benefit us. Last year all we? did was try and loft kickoffs to the 5, inevitably getting roasted by decent returners. With incentives to fair catch it could work in our? favor.

Inevitably getting roasted? How many times were we burned in KOs?

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/463

#2 in the conference and top 25 nationally.

Shit post.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    why the fuck are we supposed to care about safety

playing football is a privilege. no one is forcing them.

no one cares about safety in UFC or something.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

Of course it’s real. Taking shots to the head isn’t good for a person. Water is wet. A lot of people still dgaf. Football isn’t going anywhere.