Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What is your go to gin?

124»

Comments

• BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Boodle's

AZDuck said:

I always thought a martini was really cold gin with a green olive in it

For me, it's become ice cold Tito's with a touch of olive juice served in a martini glass rinsed with vermouth and skewered olives stuffed with blue cheese jalapenos.
    upgraded.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Write-in option

straight cold vodka is fine. just dont pretend its a cocktail.

We call that the Boris Yeltsin.
  • BabushkaBabushka Member Posts: 211
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

straight cold vodka is fine. just dont pretend its a cocktail.

We call that the Boris Yeltsin.
    Lech Wałęsa > Bore-us Yeltsin
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Bombay Saphire

Most of the classic cocktails are fucking gross when made with shitty mixers.

It's why I just stick to beer when I'm out.

That and the mark up on spirits is even more outrageous.
    Yeah I'd take a worse spit and better mixer though any day.

Instead they put nice spirit and shit mixer and Jack the price.

Although for a margarita it's okay. The popular thing now seems to be putting a pretty good tequila with fresh lime and agave.

(Yes DDY I realize it's not actualy a margarita but no one uses the good orange liquer for less than like 16 bucks so fuck off)

Pretty solid
    I actually have found my margs with fresh lime juice and good tequila and cheap triple sec taste better than with Grand Marnier or Cointreau.
    Yeah, because it’s more sugar and homemade margs are always too tart. Straight up.

Take it from a guy who’s made a million margs.

Jeffrey Morganthaler has a great blog about this topic.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,793
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Junipero

Although for a margarita it's okay. The popular thing now seems to be putting a pretty good tequila with fresh lime and agave.

(Yes DDY I realize it's not actualy a margarita but no one uses the good orange liquer for less than like 16 bucks so fuck off)

Pretty solid
    I actually have found my margs with fresh lime juice and good tequila and cheap triple sec taste better than with Grand Marnier or Cointreau.
    Yeah, because it’s more sugar and homemade margs are always too tart. Straight up.

The Mrs seems to enjoy my current variation a lot using the cheap triple sec as and every day Marg. Just trying to figure out the best snobby version for special occasions with the other thread.
    Bombay Saphire

Pretty solid

The Mrs seems to enjoy my current variation a lot using the cheap triple sec as and every day Marg. Just trying to figure out the best snobby version for special occasions with the other thread.
    Sidecars have the same problem. Too tart. Hard to understand what the original recipe actually was. If you use shitty triple sec, it's better (sweeter).

I know it sounds like super loser to want the drink to be 'sweet', but the drink is not SWEET... it's 'balanced'. It's like saying 'oh yeah, i like to drink straight lime juice'. That's not what anyone wants out of a drink.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Junipero

The reason why wine goes bad is that it reacts with oxygen. If you put a gas heavier than oxygen on it it doesn’t deteriorate. Putting it in the fridge serves to impede the speed of reactions, hence, oxidization.

Obviously I know vermouth is fortified wine you moron (do you know vermouth is so named because a key ingredient in original recipes was wormwood? This is where vermouth gets its name from), but unfortunately it’s not fortified enough to keep it from reacting with oxygen (which is basically why booze doesn’t go bad). Same with Sherry and Port. So the fortification doesn’t really help it store.

Fresh Dolin Red is fucking amazing straight.

I mean, you can have 5:1 martinis and I never judge anyone’s taste, but it’s not really a martini in any sense. It’s gin.

Most people like martinis without a lot of vermouth because most vermouth is bad. And makes things taste like shit. Fresh vermouth is amazing in martinis.

But when people first drink martinis a lot of times they got used to the category as “essentially booze” and I respect anyone that wants to drink that.

While it is true that old spirits used to be worse (also - they used to be a lot hotter - ABVs were routinely above 50%) and this contributed to cocktail making... I think it’s a misnomer that all mixed drinks are there to mask the booze, though this was the original intent of old fashioneds, certainly.

Daiquirís and that shit are amazing and proportions are certainly subject to taste, but the drinks are so named for a certain (in general) proportionality and ingredient list.

I just saw a vintage ad for a “Smirnoff Daiquirí” - they said “it’s a change up of an old stand by!”

2oz Noff
    .5 lime
    1/2 tbsp sugar

That’s not a fucking Daiquirí at all!

It’s hard to know what drinks “really” are... but I suppose it’s a weird combination of provenance and form.

Anyway, vermouth is amazing. Within 18 hours of opening the bottle.

So my two bottles of vermouth have both been in the fridge for a month or two. FML!!

Bombay Saphire
    Just kill yourself now.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bombay Saphire

Just kill yourself now.

Not sure if aimed at me or @YellowSnow but either way,

Agree.
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Write-in option

Bourbon

Patience. Well have plenty of bourbon shit poling here.
    Reading this thread, I stand by my original statement of gin being the white SUV of alcohol. A man can drink it. But it doesn't mean he should.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Write-in option

Bourbon

Reading this thread, I stand by my original statement of gin being the white SUV of alcohol. A man can drink it. But it doesn't mean he should.

• SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Hendrick's

AZDuck said:

I always thought a martini was really cold gin with a green olive in it

For me, it's become ice cold Tito's with a touch of olive juice served in a martini glass rinsed with vermouth and skewered olives stuffed with blue cheese jalapenos.
    upgraded.
    Why not both. Abundance. Cheers!
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Junipero

Bourbon

Gin is like a nice white Ford Bronco. Great for escaping from life's stresses.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Junipero
    For all my Ducktard frens out there or @haie if you like Martinis, I've been really digging Aria Gin out of PDX this days. Perfect balanced gin and not overly floral. I don't like to feel like I'm eating pine cones or juniper berries when I'm drinking gin.

• BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,386
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Bombay Saphire
    Back in the day when I drank gin and tonics I would go Bombay 90% of the time, Tanqueray the other 10%. I served Dry Fly gin at home for a while after, and have pretty much not consumed gin for 10+ years at this point. Got pretty bored with it.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Junipero

Back in the day when I drank gin and tonics I would go Bombay 90% of the time, Tanqueray the other 10%. I served Dry Fly gin at home for a while after, and have pretty much not consumed gin for 10+ years at this point. Got pretty bored with it.

I don't drink gin and tonic much, except on a hot summer day. But when I do, I still like Bombay.

My year round martini phase is running at 20 plus years though.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,706
    Founders Club
    Tanqueray
    I haven’t had gin since 1995.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    Hendrick's
    A friend's neighbor mixed up a concoction he learned in or near the Basque regions in Spain, with giant ice cube balls & a whole bunch of plant life in a giant glass (reminiscent of a stoner couples fish tank from the 1970s) and it was delicious with Hendrick's Gin. The guy was adamant that I had to use Hendrick's if I ever made them myself.

Anyway, a G&T right from the well is fine when I want something unusual to sip on a nice day.

Otherwise, it's bourbon, rum, vodka, beer, wine or the spody bucket from Cannery Row.

"Be Happy! Stay Drunk!" is my motto.