Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Is this the stroking bored?

2»

Comments

• Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Yes this is the strokin' bored.

1:47 splits is perfectly respectable for fat old noobs like us. Granted elite women's college rowers are all under 7 mins, but still...

In college I pulled 6:06...1:31 splits. Glory days they'll pass you by

Pulled a 6:22 my Freshman year. Quit after that.
    That's a respectable freshman year time for back in the day. The time's they are getting now are ridiculous. Most of the 1V and 2V are at or under 6:00. In the 90's you might have 1 or 2 guys go under 6:00 in the 1V and no one in the 2V.
    Yea this was at a smaller east coast school. I’m only 6’0 tall so I didn’t have any great upside. Certainly not like the rowers at UW who are all trying to make the Olympic programs for their respective countries and win National Championships. I was just doing it to stay in shape and be a part of a team.

Eventually I realized I liked drinking beer more than waking up at 5am to row on a half frozen river and get stomped by the good Ivy programs, Navy, and Syracuse and that was the end of my rowing career.
    If you were getting stomped by Navy, your school sucked at crew. My kid rows in the NESCAC and they crush the academies all. the. time. Army, Navy and Coast Guard. If the AF academy has a boat, I've not seen it.

Row Boat is weird as it relates to the collegiate divisions, at least on the women's side. Sure, the top Ivies and programs like UW, Cal, Tejas, Stanford, UVa, Wisky, Michigan and others are on a different level altogether. But the lesser Ivies and many other D1 boats aren't that fast. I've seen fast D3 boats smoke 1V boats at D 1 schools like UConn (several times), Boston College and others several times.
    Definitely wasn’t a crew powerhouse. Navy didn’t really stomp us, we were equal to them not sure why I included them. We beat the fuck out of Army. I think the best my boat did my Freshman year was ranked just inside the top 20 and won the Freshman race at Dad Vails. We weren’t elite by any means but we weren’t trash.

Williams was the one Nescac school I remember we couldn’t really compete against.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,698
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

1:47 splits is perfectly respectable for fat old noobs like us. Granted elite women's college rowers are all under 7 mins, but still...

That's a respectable freshman year time for back in the day. The time's they are getting now are ridiculous. Most of the 1V and 2V are at or under 6:00. In the 90's you might have 1 or 2 guys go under 6:00 in the 1V and no one in the 2V.
    Yea this was at a smaller east coast school. I’m only 6’0 tall so I didn’t have any great upside. Certainly not like the rowers at UW who are all trying to make the Olympic programs for their respective countries and win National Championships. I was just doing it to stay in shape and be a part of a team.

Eventually I realized I liked drinking beer more than waking up at 5am to row on a half frozen river and get stomped by the good Ivy programs, Navy, and Syracuse and that was the end of my rowing career.
    If you were getting stomped by Navy, your school sucked at crew. My kid rows in the NESCAC and they crush the academies all. the. time. Army, Navy and Coast Guard. If the AF academy has a boat, I've not seen it.

Row Boat is weird as it relates to the collegiate divisions, at least on the women's side. Sure, the top Ivies and programs like UW, Cal, Tejas, Stanford, UVa, Wisky, Michigan and others are on a different level altogether. But the lesser Ivies and many other D1 boats aren't that fast. I've seen fast D3 boats smoke 1V boats at D 1 schools like UConn (several times), Boston College and others several times.
    Definitely wasn’t a crew powerhouse. Navy didn’t really stomp us, we were equal to them not sure why I included them. We beat the fuck out of Army. I think the best my boat did my Freshman year was ranked just inside the top 20 and won the Freshman race at Dad Vails. We weren’t elite by any means but we weren’t trash.

Williams was the one Nescac school I remember we couldn’t really compete against.
    That list is now Wesleyan, Bates & Williams. Trinity used to be a power, but they suck now. Hamilton came out of nowhere and is now fast af. They just lost to Bates the other day by 2 seconds, have lead most of the way. Bates is defending national champs. I think the pre-season top 5 in D3 women Had Bates and Wesleyan in at 1 & 2, with Hamilton and Williams also in the top 5.

Far and away the top D3 conference in rowing (and a bunch of other sports).
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

That list is now Wesleyan, Bates & Williams. Trinity used to be a power, but they suck now. Hamilton came out of nowhere and is now fast af. They just lost to Bates the other day by 2 seconds, have lead most of the way. Bates is defending national champs. I think the pre-season top 5 in D3 women Had Bates and Wesleyan in at 1 & 2, with Hamilton and Williams also in the top 5.

D3 sports: For people who were mediocre in High School.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,656
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

D3 sports: For rich people who were mediocre in High School.
    Your real/poor ballers are going the community college/JC route for PT.

D3 ball is like really expensive intramurals.

Bingo.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Creep's Latin blood is about to run hot in this thread.
    Swaye's Wigwam

For rich people that were mediocre in HS? Why I never...

Latin blood good and hot now bitches.

The Washington Girl's Soccer Gatorade Player of the Year in 2012, Audrey Thomas, just concluded her career at Williams. She was really good, but didn't stand out like a sore thumb. FWIW, it's reely reely hard (hee) to be named the best prep chick soccer player in Washington ... unlike D1 football talent, we have a lot of tuff girl soccer players.

My kid was recruited to row D1 at a million schools. She's not alone in her boat.

Most of these places have much, much larger endowments on a per student basis than Cal, UW, Texas or even Michigan, and can afford much more easily to carry you if you can't write the check.

Riddle me this: what do the following schools have in common besides insanely smart kids: Williams, Pomona, Amherst, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Wesleyan, CMC, Harvey Mudd, Tufts, Washington & Lee, Wellesley, Vassar, Barnard, Swarthmore and Haverford?

100% of need met and a "no loans" policy.

Show me a poor kid at UW who isn't on football or bb scholly who doesn't have loans in his package (lol). Go head.

Smart poor kids who are good at sports are infiltrating the small ivies and their equivalents in droves.

Any kid playing a sport in the NESCAC was, by definition, a very good HS athlete. Maybe not P12 good, but then again, some of them were. Just not in men's fb or bb.

Doo sum research you motherless whores.

Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2018
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,942
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Latin blood good and hot now bitches.

The Washington Girl's Soccer Gatorade Player of the Year in 2012, Audrey Thomas, just concluded her career at Williams. She was really good, but didn't stand out like a sore thumb. FWIW, it's reely reely hard (hee) to be named the best prep chick soccer player in Washington ... unlike D1 football talent, we have a lot of tuff girl soccer players.

My kid was recruited to row D1 at a million schools. She's not alone in her boat.

Most of these places have much, much larger endowments on a per student basis than Cal, UW, Texas or even Michigan, and can afford much more easily to carry you if you can't write the check.

Riddle me this: what do the following schools have in common besides insanely smart kids: Williams, Pomona, Amherst, Middlebury, Bowdoin, Wesleyan, CMC, Harvey Mudd, Tufts, Washington & Lee, Wellesley, Vassar, Barnard, Swarthmore and Haverford?

100% of need met and a "no loans" policy.

Show me a poor kid at UW who isn't on football or bb scholly who doesn't have loans in his package (lol). Go head.

Smart poor kids who are good at sports are infiltrating the small ivies and their equivalents in droves.

Any kid playing a sport in the NESCAC was, by definition, a very good HS athlete. Maybe not P12 good, but then again, some of them were. Just not in men's fb or bb.

Doo sum research you motherless whores.

East Coast Liberal Arts School Superiority Guy.

She's not alone in her boat.

Tequillla long, DR.

Pics?

She's not alone in her boat.

Tequillla long, DR.

Pics?
    You don't know Tequilla.