Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What is your go to gin?

Comments

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tanqueray
    I am a fucking idiot - too stoopid to mix a drink - I don't wanna wait for a drink so beer, wine, cognac, guzzled out of the bottle (or box with wine) and I get where I need to be.

I also don't have a clue what alt-cuntry is if it really exists

oh yeah, oxy and hydrocodone right out of the bottle too
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    I always thought a martini was really cold gin with a green olive in it
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Junipero

1. Vermouth should be gassed with Private Preserve (argon, I believe). Otherwise, it's wine, you know. So, however long you savages would drink wine for that's been refrigerated. Refrigerating vermouth is for retards. Dolin is the shit, though! I love it.
    2. Martinez!
    3. Gaz Regan's is probably the best, but I like the Ango ones too. But, in a martini - gotta be Gaz's.

Manhattans and Martinis are the same drink, essentially, both descendent from the Martinez, just in different directions.

Manhattan is 2:1 Rye/Sweet Vermouth, barspoon of curaçao if you're not a savage, then ango bitters.
    Martini is 2:1 Gin/Dry Vermouth, barspoon of Maraschino if you're feeling nostalgic, but it makes it weird... then orange bitters.

All bullshitting aside @Dennis_DeYoung you are RESIDENT COCKTAIL EXPERT and I love you (not homo) for it.

I suppose in a perfect world, you'd put sum fancy gas on the Dolin's but this ain't a perfect world. It (vermouth) is a fortified wine and the fridge slows down its deterioration; it's still good for a week or two before starting to turn.

Also, we have to remember that most of the classic cocktail recipes were created when most booze was piss and needed to be doctored up with a bunch of stuff to make it palatable. That's not the case with today's spirits so the classic modern martini with 4 or 5 parts gin and 1 part dry vermouth stirred and served neat tastes fantastic. I do like me some cocktail onions so I tend toward a Gibson.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Bombay Saphire
    The reason why wine goes bad is that it reacts with oxygen. If you put a gas heavier than oxygen on it it doesn’t deteriorate. Putting it in the fridge serves to impede the speed of reactions, hence, oxidization.

Obviously I know vermouth is fortified wine you moron (do you know vermouth is so named because a key ingredient in original recipes was wormwood? This is where vermouth gets its name from), but unfortunately it’s not fortified enough to keep it from reacting with oxygen (which is basically why booze doesn’t go bad). Same with Sherry and Port. So the fortification doesn’t really help it store.

Fresh Dolin Red is fucking amazing straight.

I mean, you can have 5:1 martinis and I never judge anyone’s taste, but it’s not really a martini in any sense. It’s gin.

Most people like martinis without a lot of vermouth because most vermouth is bad. And makes things taste like shit. Fresh vermouth is amazing in martinis.

But when people first drink martinis a lot of times they got used to the category as “essentially booze” and I respect anyone that wants to drink that.

While it is true that old spirits used to be worse (also - they used to be a lot hotter - ABVs were routinely above 50%) and this contributed to cocktail making... I think it’s a misnomer that all mixed drinks are there to mask the booze, though this was the original intent of old fashioneds, certainly.

Daiquirís and that shit are amazing and proportions are certainly subject to taste, but the drinks are so named for a certain (in general) proportionality and ingredient list.

I just saw a vintage ad for a “Smirnoff Daiquirí” - they said “it’s a change up of an old stand by!”

2oz Noff
    .5 lime
    1/2 tbsp sugar

That’s not a fucking Daiquirí at all!

It’s hard to know what drinks “really” are... but I suppose it’s a weird combination of provenance and form.

Anyway, vermouth is amazing. Within 18 hours of opening the bottle.

Swaye's Wigwam
    Junipero

The reason why wine goes bad is that it reacts with oxygen. If you put a gas heavier than oxygen on it it doesn’t deteriorate. Putting it in the fridge serves to impede the speed of reactions, hence, oxidization.

Obviously I know vermouth is fortified wine you moron (do you know vermouth is so named because a key ingredient in original recipes was wormwood? This is where vermouth gets its name from), but unfortunately it’s not fortified enough to keep it from reacting with oxygen (which is basically why booze doesn’t go bad). Same with Sherry and Port. So the fortification doesn’t really help it store.

Fresh Dolin Red is fucking amazing straight.

I mean, you can have 5:1 martinis and I never judge anyone’s taste, but it’s not really a martini in any sense. It’s gin.

Most people like martinis without a lot of vermouth because most vermouth is bad. And makes things taste like shit. Fresh vermouth is amazing in martinis.

But when people first drink martinis a lot of times they got used to the category as “essentially booze” and I respect anyone that wants to drink that.

While it is true that old spirits used to be worse (also - they used to be a lot hotter - ABVs were routinely above 50%) and this contributed to cocktail making... I think it’s a misnomer that all mixed drinks are there to mask the booze, though this was the original intent of old fashioneds, certainly.

Daiquirís and that shit are amazing and proportions are certainly subject to taste, but the drinks are so named for a certain (in general) proportionality and ingredient list.

I just saw a vintage ad for a “Smirnoff Daiquirí” - they said “it’s a change up of an old stand by!”

2oz Noff
    .5 lime
    1/2 tbsp sugar

That’s not a fucking Daiquirí at all!

It’s hard to know what drinks “really” are... but I suppose it’s a weird combination of provenance and form.

Anyway, vermouth is amazing. Within 18 hours of opening the bottle.

I do really like the Negroni for more of a gin based "cocktail", but the more modern 5 to 1 martini appeals to me because of my love of chilled nearly straight gin. I think it's dericious.

Sometimes booze just drinks better on it's own or with just a dab of water. This is certainly true of top shelf rum, bourbon and scotch.

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tanqueray
    Well I am trying not to bring too much attention from the feds at the same time

Those are gurly man painkillers. It's this stuff or GTFO.

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    edited April 2018
    Bombay Saphire
    Most of the classic cocktails are fucking gross when made with shitty mixers.

It's why I just stick to beer when I'm out.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Junipero

That and the mark up on spirits is even more outrageous.
    edited April 2018
    Bombay Saphire

Yeah I'd take a worse spit and better mixer though any day.

Instead they put nice spirit and shit mixer and Jack the price.

Although for a margarita it's okay. The popular thing now seems to be putting a pretty good tequila with fresh lime and agave.

(Yes DDY I realize it's not actualy a margarita but no one uses the good orange liquer for less than like 16 bucks so fuck off)

Pretty solid
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Junipero

Although for a margarita it's okay. The popular thing now seems to be putting a pretty good tequila with fresh lime and agave.

(Yes DDY I realize it's not actualy a margarita but no one uses the good orange liquer for less than like 16 bucks so fuck off)

Pretty solid
    I actually have found my margs with fresh lime juice and good tequila and cheap triple sec taste better than with Grand Marnier or Cointreau.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Write-in option

Pretty solid
    I actually have found my margs with fresh lime juice and good tequila and cheap triple sec taste better than with Grand Marnier or Cointreau.
    Does it drink like a cab?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Junipero

Pretty solid
    Does it drink like a cab?
    More like Tempranillo.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Hendrick's
    AZDuck said:

I always thought a martini was really cold gin with a green olive in it

For me, it's become ice cold Tito's with a touch of olive juice served in a martini glass rinsed with vermouth and skewered olives stuffed with blue cheese.
    Bombay Saphire

Pretty solid
    Total wine has a house brand orange liqueur (legit stuff 70 proof) for like 16 bucks. It's the move.
    Bombay Saphire
    straight cold vodka is fine. just dont pretend its a cocktail.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Junipero

straight cold vodka is fine. just dont pretend its a cocktail.

Straight warm vodka is fine too and I like Tito's. But it's best suited for tomato juice and a speshial bend of seasonings.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bombay Saphire
    Extra dry(for the exact reasons dennis' described) bombay or hendricks served slightly dirty with 2 or more olives. You can tell me it's not technically a martini but if I order it as anything else they'll fuck it all up.