Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

How is Larry Scott a shitty commissioner? Update

http://awfulannouncing.com/league-networks/pac-12-networks-average-carriage-fee-down-63-per-cent-since-2012.html

In 2012, the Big Ten commanded $0.37 per subscriber, while the Pac-12 National network received $0.30. By 2017, the Big Ten’s average sub fee had jumped to $0.48, an increase of 30 percent, while the Pac-12 fee had dropped to $0.11. That’s right: From $0.30 to $0.11 in the five-year span.

Here is the average rate each network charges providers:

Channel - Rate
  1. ESPN - $7.54
  2. NFL Network - $1.48
  3. ESPN2 - $0.94
  4. SEC - $0.74
  5. Fox Sports 1 - $0.64
  6. FOX College Sports - $0.50
  7. BTN - $0.48
  8. Golf Channel - $0.41
  9. NHL Network - $0.34
  10. NBCSN - $0.34
  11. NBA TV - $0.31
  12. Olympic Channel - $0.30
  13. MLB Network - $0.29
  14. ESPNews - $0.29
  15. CBS Sports Network - $0.28
  16. ESPNU - $0.25
  17. ESPN Classic - $0.25
  18. Fox Sports 2 - $0.21
  19. Tennis Channel - $0.14
  20. World Fishing Network - $0.14
  21. beIN Sports - $0.13
  22. Pac-12 Network - $0.11
  23. The Sportsman Channel - $0.06
  24. Outdoor Channel - $0.06
  25. Outside Television - $0.05

Comments

• UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    The tennis channel is where it's at.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

The tennis channel is where it's at.

As a proud tennis dad I agree.

But seriously, no one except crazy random tennis fans in the US watches it, and somehow it is more valuable than Larry's chinnovative network. And yet I can get the tennis channel on cable where I live in the metropolitan area of the capital of the cuntry. But no P12 network option through cable.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The P12 network is a sunk cost at this point ... the only people that don’t realize that are P12 decision makers
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Ho Lee Shit. I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was worse than the tennis channel and fishing network bad. I don't even know what the fuck beIN sports is, but it's niche trash that has still somehow monetized better than we have. The P12 Network production level is on par with any other conference network, and the broadcasts are actually pretty damn good given how little talent they can hire. But the distribution, the thing Larry Scott is most responsible for, is a catastrophic failure that even Tom Hansen is laughing at. And we pay this clown $4m per year to further tank what's left of the conference's prestige.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Meek said:

it's actually at the point where the entire thing is no longer frustrating but just like we're watching a police chase on live tv where you wonder how much longer this guy can keep going with this network.

literally the only fans who can possibly continue to care about the Pac12 Networks are the ones whose teams are the conference drecks that can't get on ESPN or FS1, but those schools are tiny and inconsequential so really there is nothing about Scott's strategy that matters to any of the fans.

Every now and then Wilner would poast something about the "great studio shows on the Pac12 Network"....I had the network for 3 years and I could never figure out when these shows were...i don't think they were consistently scheduled so, again, nobody cares.

Anyway, Wilner did a column on these numbers a couple days ago and what caught my eye was that literally the 2 worst performing networks were Pac12 and the Tennis Channel...that made me laugh.

Everyone in the conference should care. Our allocated revenue from the TV contracts continue to fall well below initial projections, and we still have a game or two every year that is shown on this network that allegedly exists, which hurts our profile.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2018

Meek said:

it's actually at the point where the entire thing is no longer frustrating but just like we're watching a police chase on live tv where you wonder how much longer this guy can keep going with this network.

literally the only fans who can possibly continue to care about the Pac12 Networks are the ones whose teams are the conference drecks that can't get on ESPN or FS1, but those schools are tiny and inconsequential so really there is nothing about Scott's strategy that matters to any of the fans.

Every now and then Wilner would poast something about the "great studio shows on the Pac12 Network"....I had the network for 3 years and I could never figure out when these shows were...i don't think they were consistently scheduled so, again, nobody cares.

Anyway, Wilner did a column on these numbers a couple days ago and what caught my eye was that literally the 2 worst performing networks were Pac12 and the Tennis Channel...that made me laugh.

Everyone in the conference should care. Our allocated revenue from the TV contracts continue to fall well below initial projections, and we still have a game or two every year that is shown on this network that allegedly exists, which hurts our profile.
    You are right Green. Scott is really hurting this conference. It's at Defcon 4, and that should worry everybody concerned
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,483
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Meek said:

You are right Green. Scott is really hurting this conference. It's at Defcon 4, and that should worry everybody concerned
    Defcon 4? Try Defcon 1, poopy.

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Meek said:

Goodbye, Moon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xef60FAN6Vk
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2018

Meek said:

I thought 5 was worst. Ok defcon 2 then. Defcon 1 would be no network dude. Nobody wants that