Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tantalizing question

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
From Danny, Dave and Moore...

If Cleveland offered Seattle their #1 and #4 picks in the first round for Russell Wilson, would you do it?

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I'd probably do it.

That's a ton of cap savings to go with the picks.

I'd flip the #1 for the best package of picks available and take Baker Mayfield at #4.

I wouldn't do it if I didn't think I could get Mayfield at 4 though. He's the only QB in this draft I'm confident in as a franchise QB.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    It depends on the management of the franchise in question. Teams like the Jets, Browns, Bengals, Bears, and Raiders have shown their management lacks the skill to qualify top draft picks. Basically if these teams had a Russell Wilson, they'd get two first round busts in return. How well does Seattle draft, is a major factor in this choice. Is a first and 4th pick for Wilson better than two really good veteran position players that fill needs?
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

It depends on the management of the franchise in question. Teams like the Jets, Browns, Bengals, Bears, and Raiders have shown their management lacks the skill to qualify top draft picks. Basically if these teams had a Russell Wilson, they'd get two first round busts in return. How well does Seattle draft, is a major factor in this choice. Is a first and 4th pick for Wilson better than two really good veteran position players that fill needs?

This is pretty close to what I was going to write. With John Schneider and Pete Carroll in charge, I wouldn't want them to do it. This year at least. I don't like any of the top QBs and I think they'd use at least one pick for that. Then they'd trade down and try to get some second and third round picks. Which would be wasted on projects like Jarrin Reed and Nick Varnett, or injured receivers like Paul Richardson.

I could support the trade if they took both picks, traded them. First pick in draft could get a low round first round this year, a second round this year and first round next year. The fourth pick could get a first round pick and third round this year and second round next year. Then take one of the second round picks and trade for Nick foles. Helps rebuild and gives us a serviceable QB for 18.