Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Home Theater / Audio Setup Recommendations

2»

Comments

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,467
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I shoudl also mention all of the stuff I mentioned is self powered, and with very good amps. So, no amp needed. Just run the cable connection into the sound bar, and sound bar to TV. Sound bar direct connects to the subs (must buy a splitter), and then you are off. 4 HDMI inputs on the Yamaha as well for blu ray, XBOX, whatever.

Killer set up for the money, and will melt your ears with no distortion. I didn't believe a sound bar could sound like that until I tried it. It's unreal.

Fuck Orkin. You may have a six fig job in audio sales.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,882
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fucking finance it!!

@YellowSnow you must have a set of Dominator MX speakers!

In all seriousness, what kind of set up do you have? I want the bored’s resident audiophile to weigh in.
    No Dominator MX. Just some vintage ADS L-810s from circa 1980. They can blast the AC DC and LZ records at very high volume with zero distortion and great detail.

Alas, I'm a terrrible resource on home theater. My interest is more 2 channel hi fi which is a different animal. I do know this gear pretty well.

My amplification is McIntosh MAC 4100 receiver which was the most bad ass receiver of the late 70s or early 80s. I'm pour so I tend to buy used. A new comparable McIntosh receiver or integrated is about $6500. Turntable is a Rega P3 which is the best in the market at its price point.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,537
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

I threw a beer at my tv when wsu got the 5th down against us 2 years ago and scored. So the volume broke and I got a shitty sound bar.

Then I got a new TV.

I take the sound bar on the patio and lean it up against the wall and stream music to it over Bluetooth.

It gets rained on once a year.

I'm assuming that yellow snow has a better setup than this.

pretty high tech compared to my low life setup -

and general info to all the other comments - BestBuy is shit.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    I was gonna comment, but I'm about to throw up.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Whatever you decide make sure to buy it through Amazon

@oregonblitzkrieg

No McIntosh on Amazon. Oh wait some asshole retailer does have some Mac gear through them.
  • Options
    RapeculturedawgRapeculturedawg Member Posts: 899
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited April 2018
    -65” Samsung KS9000 4k tv
    -Denon x4300h AVR
    -Klipsch RF-62's, RC-52, RB-62's, 4 Onkyo surround speakers for height, and a Definitive subwoofer @DoogieMcDoogerson gave me.
    -Xbox One X

Looking to upgrade my sub in the near future.

reddit r/hometheater is a pretty good resource.

• Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,862
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    I bought a 65" Sony X900e and some Klipsche Reference Premier speakers (5.1 setup) about a year ago and have been very happen with them.

The TV is beautiful. The colors are amazing. No hyperbole there at all. The blacks are literally as close as you can get to OLED quality but without all the other drawbacks of having an actual OLED TV. People don't believe me when I tell them how blown away they will be when they see it. Then they watch it, and they're like "holy shit this is beautiful". And since it's a 2017 model, you can find them a lot cheaper now. Haven't researched Sony's 2018 models, though, so don't know much about them.

The speakers sound good too. Especially the center channel. That's where all the dialogue and good stuff comes from on movies and TV shows. I can hear every little detail in the way people speak. And the bass is good enough without a sub. If you like to actually rumble in your seat, get a sub. I don't really give a shit about that. I just like to hear the bass and for it be smooth and loud, not overpowering. The smallest set of fronts on Klipsche's premier line give me more than enough bass, as I actually have to turn it down about 50% on my receiver so that I don't piss off my neighbors (I live in a condo), and even then it's still very loud.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Samsung 55" 4K tv
    Denon avrx1000 receiver from a few years ago
    Paradigm Studio 60 towers with a cc-350 center channel
    a/d/s CM7 rear channel speakers

Had a pair of Klipsch kg4s back in the day, too horny so I traded them in for the less efficient but truer ads cm7s. Had a Luxman lv105u integrated amp for many years, hard to find vacuum tube replacements for it. So I said fuck it and went with some midrange Denon crap
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

Samsung 55" 4K tv

Had a pair of Klipsch kg4s back in the day, too horny so I traded them in for the less efficient but truer ads cm7s. Had a Luxman lv105u integrated amp for many years, hard to find vacuum tube replacements for it. So I said fuck it and went with some midrange Denon crap

a/d/s speakers are classics. Some of the best American made chit you could get back in the late 70s and early 80s. My hand me down ones have served me very well.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

BearsWiin said:

Samsung 55" 4K tv

a/d/s speakers are classics. Some of the best American made chit you could get back in the late 70s and early 80s. My hand me down ones have served me very well.
    I had a friend in college who had worked at a high-end shop in Providence RI who turned me on to a/d/s speakers. Bought the KG4s with a NAD 7240 receiver that was perfect for dorm room blast contests, but then after a year decided to get the Luxman amp and the CM7s. That was in 1988; they were my go-to speakers until about ten years ago when I got the Paradigm Studio 60s and the CM7s became the rear-channel speakers. Not very efficient but wonderful to listen to.