Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

A message to Tony Bennett fans

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Had he stayed in Pullman, this season would have been considered a success.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

I thought this was an ode to San Francisco thread.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I'll take whatever Virginia's done over the past five years over what Washington's done. It's not even close. lol

He's never going to be able to compete with the bluebloods every single year, but for a middle tier program lie UVA, he's done extremely well.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'll take whatever Virginia's done over the past five years over what Washington's done. It's not even close. lol

He's never going to be able to compete with the bluebloods every single year, but for a middle tier program lie UVA, he's done extremely well.

He does compete with the bluebloods every year. He just sucks in the tournament. It will happen for him eventually.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428

S>TPOTD
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    UVA got fisted by a 16 seed.

This wasn't some perfect storm of controversial calls, key injuries, and a buzzer beater that won the game.

They. Got. PLUNGERED.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

He does compete with the bluebloods every year. He just sucks in the tournament. It will happen for him eventually.
    He needs to develope an offense first. You can’t score in the mid 60’s night in and night out and win the tournament. There are too many good offenses for Virginia to be one dimensional.
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,556
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

He needs to develope an offense first. You can’t score in the mid 60’s night in and night out and win the tournament. There are too many good offenses for Virginia to be one dimensional.
    He just needs to convince one fast strategy kid to come in and Carmelo his team to a title. Syracuse doesn't win big every year but you throw in an Anthony, Derrick Coleman or John Wallace and you make final fours. Bennet will get a forty year old lookin' kid some day and make a run.

He just needs to convince one fast strategy kid to come in and Carmelo his team to a title. Syracuse doesn't win big every year but you throw in an Anthony, Derrick Coleman or John Wallace and you make final fours. Bennet will get a forty year old lookin' kid some day and make a run.
    The next one he gets will be his first. Most fast strategy kids are turned off by bennett’s system. Why work hard on both sides of the court when another coach lets you just be a scorer and guide you to a payday?
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The biggest issues with the Tony Bennett game plan is that the moment they get down by 10 points late-ish in a game, they are basically cooked.

The biggest issues with the Tony Bennett game plan is that the moment they get down by 10 points late-ish in a game, they are basically cooked.

That's my point. Tony Bennett can't recruit offensive playmakers.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,706
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Goerge Karl and his best regular season record Sonics thinks Bennett sucks
    Swaye's Wigwam

They had plenty of offense. The 16 seed just plungered them. You don’t beat Duke and UNC 5 times this year with shitty players.

What did you use to say about Jay Wright and Villanova? They always have a great offense, but they sucked in the tournament until they didn’t.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

They had plenty of offense. The 16 seed just plungered them. You don’t beat Duke and UNC 5 times this year with shitty players.

What did you use to say about Jay Wright and Villanova? They always have a great offense, but they sucked in the tournament until they didn’t.
    Stick to math.

Ernie Kent has one more Elite Eight appearance than Tony Bennett. Let that sink in for a moment.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ernie Kent has one more Elite Eight appearance than Tony Bennett. Let that sink in for a moment.
    Gus Malzahn has one more natty than Pete.
  • Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793

Mostly agree. It's less about their ability on offense and more a function of the pace they play.

When you play as slow as they do, the game just has fewer possessions. And when you have fewer possessions, you're more susceptible to dumb luck working against you. If the other team gets hot and knocks down a few shots, it puts you in a tough spot.

I think UVA will be fine.

Gus Malzahn has one more natty than Pete.
    To be fair to Pete. He’s only been eligible to win the natty for about 4 years.