Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Concussion blood test

It says in the article that more kids play football than baseball and basketball combined in high school. I suppose if they screen for concussions and you don't play past college you'll be OK. I don't really buy the excuse parents give that all collisions are going to lead to long term damage. God knows I had lots of concussions when playing, including in my legendary college stint, and I'm fine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/14/health/concussion-fda-bloodtest.html

Comments

• UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

It says in the article that more kids play football than baseball and basketball combined in high school. I suppose if they screen for concussions and you don't play past college you'll be OK. I don't really buy the excuse parents give that all collisions are going to lead to long term damage. God knows I had lots of concussions when playing, including in my legendary college stint, and I'm fine.

Pretty sure the parents get that excuse from doctors and peer-reviewed medical studies.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Pretty sure the parents get that excuse from doctors and peer-reviewed medical studies.
    The studies I have seen have almost always been NFL players' brains. There is some scant studies done of high school and college players that I've seen, but mostly the results seem indeterminate and the anecdotal evidence doesn't support it. Most that just played through college are OK. It's the types that did a 10 year stint as an NFL linebacker that have problems. A lot of parents are probably looking for confirmation bias to keep their kid out of collision sports. How many will play NFL? Not many.
    It's lower in high school, but college players are almost guaranteed to get it.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html?_r=0

CTE was found in the brains of 3 of 14 high school players (21 percent), 48 of 53 college players (91 percent), and 110 of the 111 former NFL players .

There's selection bias since you probably aren't going to donate your brain if you don't suspect CTE, but the sport is likely fucked long-term.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,693
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Football became great under the boomers

Thanks for fucking it up guys
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

The studies I have seen have almost always been NFL players' brains. There is some scant studies done of high school and college players that I've seen, but mostly the results seem indeterminate and the anecdotal evidence doesn't support it. Most that just played through college are OK. It's the types that did a 10 year stint as an NFL linebacker that have problems. A lot of parents are probably looking for confirmation bias to keep their kid out of collision sports. How many will play NFL? Not many.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html?_r=0

CTE was found in the brains of 3 of 14 high school players (21 percent), 48 of 53 college players (91 percent), and 110 of the 111 former NFL players .

There's selection bias since you probably aren't going to donate your brain if you don't suspect CTE, but the sport is likely fucked long-term.
    Sounds like it’s tim for you to LEAVE and stop supporting this human cockfighting
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Not necessarily fucked long term. Look, the human brain can take a remarkable beating and still work. It's like the liver. Everybody that drinks regularly doesn't die of cirrhosis. If you are going to beat the fucking crap out of your body and drink heavily for 10 years or play 10 years in the NFL you are going to fuck up your liver or your brain as the case may be. But most people don't die of liver failure as most football players don't die of concussion syndrome. Do they show signs of damage? Probably. Don't you hate the argument style when you ask an answer your own questions? I do.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I've highlighted this on here before but the amount of contact a high school player goes through today compared to ten years is night and day. It's significantly less than it was five years ago.

Flag football is becoming much more popular at the youth levels which is gearing us up for some hardcore 7-on-7 bullshit in the future, but it will still be football, kind of.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2018
    Mosster47 said:

I've highlighted this on here before but the amount of contact a high school player goes through today compared to ten years is night and day. It's significantly less than it was five years ago.

Flag football is becoming much more popular at the youth levels which is gearing us up for some hardcore 7-on-7 bullshit in the future, but it will still be football, kind of.

So running backs and football linemen are a dying profession?
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2018
    When Fag football replaces full tackle, it will draw in attendance what girls soccer does in high school now. 50-100 fans/ game with squad sizes @ 25-30 max.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    If high school kids got brain damage from playing football then basically everyone who isn't a massive faggot would be stupid as fuck.

• DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789

If high school kids got brain damage from playing football then basically everyone who isn't a massive faggot would be stupid as fuck.

Witch is pretty much true in this cuntry currently. And certainly on this bored.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Mosster47 said:

So running backs and football linemen are a dying profession?
    No, I mean at the youth level flag is becoming way more popular and there is a pretty strong movement by former NFL players to keep kids away from tackle before age 14.

It will make lineman and running backs way more shitty in the long run and WR's and QB's better.

The NFL for most part only places extreme value at the left tackle position and running backs are by committee unless someone truly special comes along, which is rare with the way the game is played now.

It will still be football. Kind of.
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    IMO it would be best to start collision football at the junior high level. By the time I got to college I had played for 9 years already.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,230
    It is what it is. My kid plays rep hockey and concussion issues are looked at hard.

It's chicken or the egg.

Push back hitting and bodychecking to "save kids from potential life changing hits" some say.

Others say if you do that you expose kids to hitting at ages when they can really do more permanent damage and they don't get time to learn how to give and take a hit.

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    CTE kicks in later years. Being a pussy is a lifelong condition.