Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jackson Sirmon, 3* 2018 LB, Brentwood (Academy), TN (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Just went back and listened to the full interview. The reason he said this was because Softy asked him (paraphrased) "You get asked a lot about the 'highly rated' guys like Kaho, but what about some of the guys that people aren't talking about?" He then complemented Sirmon AND Tafisi. This had nothing to do with praising the try hard white dude over the 5 star, it was literally the question Softy asked.
    Really misleading tweet, then. Thanks for listening to Softy so I don't have to.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited February 2018

Just went back and listened to the full interview. The reason he said this was because Softy asked him (paraphrased) "You get asked a lot about the 'highly rated' guys like Kaho, but what about some of the guys that people aren't talking about?" He then complemented Sirmon AND Tafisi. This had nothing to do with praising the try hard white dude over the 5 star, it was literally the question Softy asked.
    When asked the same question about his first class, Petersen said the same thing about Gaines.

I know I’m biased because I played against his dad, but I think he’ll be maybe the best of the three.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sirmon is fucking good.

He’s a 4-Star 6-2, 220 ILB with a dad who was a pro football player. He’s got a huge frame and really smooth movement and quick feet. Really good instincts and closes quick. That description of anyone is superlative.

Just because he’s white doesn’t mean he sucks.

Some of my favorite players are white. I used to fucking idolize Tim Meamber. I grew up a Husky fan in the 80s, if I had something against white people I would have hated our team. But I didn’t. We had some incredible players who were white and I loved. Paul Skansi, Curt Marsh, Jimmy Rodgers was a big favorite.

I just hate “white players”. Let’s not act like people don’t get the difference between Tim Meamber and BBK.

Sirmon is way closer to TM than he is BBK.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

But still...
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    Swaye's Wigwam

rel="Dennis_DeYoung">Sirmon is fucking good.

He’s a 4-Star 6-2, 220 ILB with a dad who was a pro football player. He’s got a huge frame and really smooth movement and quick feet. Really good instincts and closes quick. That description of anyone is superlative.

Just because he’s white doesn’t mean he sucks.

Some of my favorite players are white. I used to fucking idolize Tim Meamber. I grew up a Husky fan in the 80s, if I had something against white people I would have hated our team. But I didn’t. We had some incredible players who were white and I loved. Paul Skansi, Curt Marsh, Jimmy Rodgers was a big favorite.

I just hate “white players”. Let’s not act like people don’t get the difference between Tim Meamber and BBK.

Sirmon is way closer to TM than he is BBK.
    Bump

What a double shit take for both making the comparison AND shitting on BBK.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    A fudgie-Dennis twofer of legendarily bad takes in one thread. Put this shit in the Classics.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    He looked good in the spring game. Again people get better in this progrum. LIPO.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,434
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

He looked good in the spring game. Again people get better in this progrum. LIPO.

The offense was vanilla and almost all the runs were between the tackles, straight at the ILBs. That's not his weakness, so he'll look good doing what he does best.

Where we need to see progress is covering the entire field, sideline-to-sideline. We didn't run any outside sweeps or fly sweeps or bubble screens where he's been inconsistent. I can't tell if he's gotten better since the players were never really tested.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    He’ll be good if he plays with confidence.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,841
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

He’ll be good if he plays with confidence.

He’ll be good if he’s not 5 seconds slow in reading the play. I question if he’s got the football IQ, though I have no clue.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,896
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    The light could turn on for him. However, last year he played a lot like Asa Turner. Extremely passive. Sometimes seemed to purposefully move into blocks so he could take himself out of the play.

If he really is our 2nd best ILB, that's a huge problem
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,086
    He looked really good. Also, Heimuli got run over by Pleasant on his TD. No such plays happened to young Jackson.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,062
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    His father was at the spring game.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I still hate Sirmon until he actually plays well, but there were glimpses of a good player last year. He has improved. He missed multiple sacks and tackles behind the line, gave up some receptions despite being in pretty good coverage, etc. He’s always a step late and overthinks things.

I think he will end up being okay. He has not shown that he is a starting caliber ILB for a good team.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,449
    Swaye's Wigwam

His father was at the spring game.

We were standing right behind him when Jackson went up the student section and greeted them. Dude looks like he's put on some muscle. He also played pretty well in the scrimmage. Was in position where he needed to be and laid a stick on people.

The "slow footed LB" slight isn't going away until he shows it in a real game, but there's a good chance he's developed into a Tevis-like, ol' reliable type of player.