Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Somebody needs to tell Petersen this isn't the WAC anymore

The esteemed TSIO hosts postulated early in this recruiting season that this could be a disappointing class for us thanks to the strengths of the class not lining up with our strengths (geographic and recruiters). 17 commits in, this might not be a monster class, but it is looking likely very good, with a shot at better if a few notables hop on bored down the stretch.

Obviously, some things have changed since their warning, perhaps most notably the hires of Matt Lubick and Scott Huff, who between them have brought in almost half of the real BRB, YO caliber talent in this class.

But the other chinteresting development, and the one I want to dig into just a bit here, is where this class is coming from. OTOH, traditionally Washington (like everyone else in the conference) has gotten at least 60% of its kids from California, roughly 30% from Washington and filled in 10% from Hawaii, Oregon, and the occasional kid from somewhere else.

This class looks different. A lot different. Of the 17 commits, here's where they come from:

Washington - 4 (Sirmon, Culp, Ale, Liu)
California - 3 (Newton, Osborne, Spiker)
Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
Utah - 2 (Taimani, Tafisi)
Arizona - 2 (Mele, Hampton)
Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
Idaho - 1 Yankoff
Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
Texas - 1 (Curne)

As it currently stands, Washington recruits account for 23.5% of the class and California recruits account for only 17.6% (!). Combined, our two primary states make up 40.1% of the class.

81% of the time (probably more) that would be a death sentence for UW. But somehow we? have successfully expanded the footprint to put together a strong class despite a below average year for us in state and a WAY below average year for us in California. With no research to back this up I'd venture this is by far the fewest kids we've ever pulled from Cali, even if we finish with Tremblay, Irving and Tuliapupu (we won't).

While I would expect us? to do much better in Cali moving forward, the rise of the WAC states in UW recruiting is really fascinating, and seems to be more likely a trend than a blip. Arizona has become a state we consistently pluck a kid from under Pete, Utah had a historic class this year but we've now gotten 3 kids from there in 2 years, and Hawaii appears to be a priority state next class.

I don't know how much of this has to do with increasing talent from those states (particularly Utah and Arizona) and how much has to do with Petersen prioritizing them more/better than previous UW coaches, but it appears our recruiting footprint is expanding, and not just into the much discussed Texas.

Maybe hiring a coach who knew the WAC recruiting base wasn't so bad after all.

Comments

• DawgofThunderDawgofThunder Member Posts: 118
    5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Damn it. That vote down was unintentional. I think the WAC territory is paying off.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yeah we bad, we nationwide.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

If we somehow manage to pull in a couple good DBs and possibly and edge guy, this will be a BIG TIME class for us.

I'm as pissed as anyone about finishing 1-5 on big fish, but even getting ONE GUY like this can change your program.

This is a great breakdown of our new WAC presence.

Who would the elite edge guy be? I CAN'T KEEP UP!
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye said:

If we somehow manage to pull in a couple good DBs and possibly and edge guy, this will be a BIG TIME class for us.

I'm as pissed as anyone about finishing 1-5 on big fish, but even getting ONE GUY like this can change your program.

PGOS
  • jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye said:

Jeremiah Martin is probably the best shot at an edge left
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

The esteemed TSIO hosts postulated early in this recruiting season that this could be a disappointing class for us thanks to the strengths of the class not lining up with our strengths (geographic and recruiters). 17 commits in, this might not be a monster class, but it is looking likely very good, with a shot at better if a few notables hop on bored down the stretch.

Obviously, some things have changed since their warning, perhaps most notably the hires of Matt Lubick and Scott Huff, who between them have brought in almost half of the real BRB, YO caliber talent in this class.

But the other chinteresting development, and the one I want to dig into just a bit here, is where this class is coming from. OTOH, traditionally Washington (like everyone else in the conference) has gotten at least 60% of its kids from California, roughly 30% from Washington and filled in 10% from Hawaii, Oregon, and the occasional kid from somewhere else.

This class looks different. A lot different. Of the 17 commits, here's where they come from:

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)

As it currently stands, Washington recruits account for 23.5% of the class and California recruits account for only 17.6% (!). Combined, our two primary states make up 40.1% of the class.

81% of the time (probably more) that would be a death sentence for UW. But somehow we? have successfully expanded the footprint to put together a strong class despite a below average year for us in state and a WAY below average year for us in California. With no research to back this up I'd venture this is by far the fewest kids we've ever pulled from Cali, even if we finish with Tremblay, Irving and Tuliapupu (we won't).

While I would expect us? to do much better in Cali moving forward, the rise of the WAC states in UW recruiting is really fascinating, and seems to be more likely a trend than a blip. Arizona has become a state we consistently pluck a kid from under Pete, Utah had a historic class this year but we've now gotten 3 kids from there in 2 years, and Hawaii appears to be a priority state next class.

I don't know how much of this has to do with increasing talent from those states (particularly Utah and Arizona) and how much has to do with Petersen prioritizing them more/better than previous UW coaches, but it appears our recruiting footprint is expanding, and not just into the much discussed Texas.

Fupdate

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)
    Nevada - 1 (Kaho)

Washington at 22.2%, Cali at 16.7%
    Final fupdate:

Washington - 5 (Sirmon, Culp, Ale, Liu, Gordon)
    California - 5 (Newton, Osborne, Spiker, Irvin, Tuli)
    Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)
    Nevada - 1 (Kaho)

Washington and Cali both at 23.8%, for a total of 47.6% of the class from our two core states.

I highly doubt we've ever gone below 50% aggregate from those two states before. Chinteresting shit.

Notable - our first three commits for 2019 are all Washington (2) and Cali (1), and it appears we have a strong start on a number of other Cali kids (Ngata, Criddel, Austin Jones, Sean Dollars). We also seem to be hitting Hawaii a lot harder for 2019 than ever in the Pete era.

This next class could look a lot more like a DJ or even RN class geographically.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)

Fupdate

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)
    Nevada - 1 (Kaho)

Final fupdate:

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)
    Nevada - 1 (Kaho)

Washington and Cali both at 23.8%, for a total of 47.6% of the class from our two core states.

I highly doubt we've ever gone below 50% aggregate from those two states before. Chinteresting shit.

Notable - our first three commits for 2019 are all Washington (2) and Cali (1), and it appears we have a strong start on a number of other Cali kids (Ngata, Criddel, Austin Jones, Sean Dollars). We also seem to be hitting Hawaii a lot harder for 2019 than ever in the Pete era.

This next class could look a lot more like a DJ or even RN class geographically.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)

Fupdate

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)
    Nevada - 1 (Kaho)

Final fupdate:

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)
    Nevada - 1 (Kaho)

• HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

dnc said:

dnc said:

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)

Fupdate

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)
    Nevada - 1 (Kaho)

Final fupdate:

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)
    Nevada - 1 (Kaho)

The conclusion was correct despite going oh for the four "strong start" kids mentioned.

It's a DJ class with Hawaii and Washington switching places for 2nd/3rd most important states.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

dnc said:

dnc said:

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)

Fupdate

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)
    Nevada - 1 (Kaho)

Final fupdate:

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)
    Nevada - 1 (Kaho)

The conclusion was correct despite going oh for the four "strong start" kids mentioned.

It's a DJ class with Hawaii and Washington switching places for 2nd/3rd most important states.
    Wow, I wrote some smart shit.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

dnc said:

dnc said:

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)

Fupdate

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)
    Nevada - 1 (Kaho)

Final fupdate:

Oregon - 2 (Bynum, Lowe)
    Hawaii - 1 (Zion)
    Idaho - 1 Yankoff
    Tennessee - 1 (Sirmon 2)
    Texas - 1 (Curne)
    Nevada - 1 (Kaho)

Wow, I wrote some smart shit.
    It's hard