Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dogs Digging Up Dirt

UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
Question for someone who is more currently connected, back in "my day" it was the early years of social media and people(especially college students) hadn't figured out it was a bad idea to share your whole life on the internet. Thus, "Dogs Digging Up Dirt" was born.

A group of students would look up the opposing players online profiles to find embarrassing things which those players had done or said. They would then take those, make some chants that would get passed out on flyers and make some embarrassing posters etc.(Definitely not Nebraska classy) It was pretty usual to have personalized chants for each of the starting players. Making free throws was a nightmare for the opposition because it was prime time for the heckling chants. Imagine how disconcerting it had to be to walk up to the line and have the whole Dawgpack start chanting about how your ex girlfriend cheated on you. If I remember correctly Sports Illustrated ranked us as the worst place to have to play for opposing teams because of this.

I have fond memories of a visiting Stanford mom hilariously trying to chase down a life-sized cardboard cut out of her son in a sun dress made from his myspace profile. All while said player had to make free throws from the line.

Just curious if something similar persists or if it died along with the rest of the program.

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Question for someone who is more currently connected, back in "my day" it was the early years of social media and people(especially college students) hadn't figured out it was a bad idea to share your whole life on the internet. Thus, "Dogs Digging Up Dirt" was born.

A group of students would look up the opposing players online profiles to find embarrassing things which those players had done or said. They would then take those, make some chants that would get passed out on flyers and make some embarrassing posters etc.(Definitely not Nebraska classy) It was pretty usual to have personalized chants for each of the starting players. Making free throws was a nightmare for the opposition because it was prime time for the heckling chants. Imagine how disconcerting it had to be to walk up to the line and have the whole Dawgpack start chanting about how your ex girlfriend cheated on you. If I remember correctly Sports Illustrated ranked us as the worst place to have to play for opposing teams because of this.

I have fond memories of a visiting Stanford mom hilariously trying to chase down a life-sized cardboard cut out of her son in a sun dress made from his myspace profile. All while said player had to make free throws from the line.

Just curious if something similar persists or if it died along with the rest of the program.

CHRIST