Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

My opinion on Helfrich

He was the right hire at the time, I don't see how they could go with an outside hire after what happened with Chip. He has had some good coaching games this year but who knows how much of that was how good the team way relative to his coaching.

I think he should stick around if he wins the bowl game. Any sort of plunger to an Arizona caliber team or another big game loss and he should be Door.Ass.Out.

Comments

• Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    He'll get one more year. He'd better be gone after that if he doesn't pull a complete 180 and put things back on the right track. If he doesn't get rid of Nick Aliotti that will be telling.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mariota returning will help Helfrich out. Without him, it was possible for Oregon to lose 3 or 4 games. With him, no way they lose more than 2. Helfrich is a goon. He was OC under Hawkins at Colorado and had a shitty track record before Chip bailed him out.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Mariota returning will help Helfrich out. Without him, it was possible for Oregon to lose 3 or 4 games. With him, no way they lose more than 2. Helfrich is a goon. He was OC under Hawkins at Colorado and had a shitty track record before Chip bailed him out.

THIS

Slingblade is a moron. I have a friend who is close to the program and he explained in detail that the problem with Helfrich isn't just the play calling. He says that practices have also been "sloppy". Chip always had a reason for everything. Each minute wasted is a minute you never get back. Helfrich has the laid back kind of attitude, he'll let a little slip here and there enter practice. A little here and there added up over time is a big problem. That in my opinion is the major reason for the slide.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

THIS

Slingblade is a moron. I have a friend who is close to the program and he explained in detail that the problem with Helfrich isn't just the play calling. He says that practices have also been "sloppy". Chip always had a reason for everything. Each minute wasted is a minute you never get back. Helfrich has the laid back kind of attitude, he'll let a little slip here and there enter practice. A little here and there added up over time is a big problem. That in my opinion is the major reason for the slide.

If that's true, they should have fired him after the Civil War.

The best thing I saw in Oregon's program under Chip Kelly was the way they practiced.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

THIS

The best thing I saw in Oregon's program under Chip Kelly was the way they practiced.
    A perfect example is the way he has handled DAT this year. The moment DAT popped off with the we'll score 40 comment on Stanford, Kelly would have shut him the hell up. But no, Helfrich let's DAT run his mouth again about the Rose Bowl not being good enough, and then again a third time. Helfrich has zero backbone. He's too scared to push his agenda, which you kind of have to do as a head coach. Eventually, what will happen is the players will run the asylum, and the assistants will start undermining Helfrich. It will be a zoo next year, you can count on that.

Even with Mariota coming back, this is a 9 win team next year. If Chip was coaching next year, it would still be a top 5 team. Helfrich I'm afraid is Sark with star talent. Once the recruiting classes fade, so will the wins. 9 wins will keep Helfrich another year, and by the time year 3 ends, the program will have already been destroyed.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

THIS

A perfect example is the way he has handled DAT this year. The moment DAT popped off with the we'll score 40 comment on Stanford, Kelly would have shut him the hell up. But no, Helfrich let's DAT run his mouth again about the Rose Bowl not being good enough, and then again a third time. Helfrich has zero backbone. He's too scared to push his agenda, which you kind of have to do as a head coach. Eventually, what will happen is the players will run the asylum, and the assistants will start undermining Helfrich. It will be a zoo next year, you can count on that.

Even with Mariota coming back, this is a 9 win team next year. If Chip was coaching next year, it would still be a top 5 team. Helfrich I'm afraid is Sark with star talent. Once the recruiting classes fade, so will the wins. 9 wins will keep Helfrich another year, and by the time year 3 ends, the program will have already been destroyed.
    Completely correct. The end of the 07 or 08 Civil War is a perfect example when the fucking offensive line coach sent out the field goal unit instead of the QB simply spiking the ball. Shit only happens like that to coaches with a laid back approach.

I don't think Slingblade will have the eye for coaching talent like Bellotti (minus NA, his best friend), and he already can't run Chip's system with consistency as we've already seen. He will pull off 8 or 9 wins now that Mariota is back and year three will be the swan dive.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

THIS

I'm only voting this up because it's true, not because I like it. Helfrich is too soft and concerned about being the players' buddy instead of being their coach. He needs to stop acting 'cool' and start making them accountable. But I'm really skeptical he can do this.