Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Russell Okung actually smart for once

13»

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

Mosster47 said:

RealRhino said:

I think it's still an open question how this will all play out. I have to question the mindset of anybody that quits on his teammates, though. Do I want that guy on my team? I don't care much about the commitment he made to his coach or his school or whatever, but with my kids it's always been, you join a team, you are with them until the bitter end. You made a commitment to your teammates. You can quit when the season's over, but not before. If a guy is making business decisions in college, is he going to be making "business decisions" in a playoff game when we are down 14? Fuck that guy.

Look, even if Okung is right, he's wrong. You factor in the long-term value of a college education, these guys are getting paid the equivalent of MILLIONS of dollars for playing college football. Far more than they'd just get paid to play. And yes, Saquon Barkley and Sam Darnold could get paid for more than just a scholarship, but great guys like JoJo and Bierria and MyTevis would be left without a scholarship.

Hi.

Let's say you are really good at something, like signing. It has a shelf life, your voice will fade very quickly after age 25.

You're in a band now, you play small venues and bars. You break even but you're getting good experience.

A record company asks just you to a deal for millions of dollars but you have to leave the band and join a different one the record company already formed.

Are you signing for free again? Me neither.

Your contract requires you to play 1 more show...do you bail?

No one is saying they should pass on the NFL, just to complete your obligation. That was the deal.

So you would agree with schools cutting scholarships midseason if they aren't performing? millions on the line for schools
    Student athletes aren't under contract like that.

If you pay them like employees, that would be fine.
    series of one year scholarships. At the end of each year, either party can not renew.
    Show me where players are required to play bowl games.

Are you saying that bowl games are different than the regular season? I couldn't tell you if there was any stipulation that they play ANY game and too lazy to look it up. It was an assumption on my part. You seem to be differentiating between the two, right? Just so I'm clear on your point of view.

Regular season games they must play. Bowl games are optional.
    Hi. All of the bowls except for the playoff games are exhibitions.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

Mosster47 said:

RealRhino said:

I think it's still an open question how this will all play out. I have to question the mindset of anybody that quits on his teammates, though. Do I want that guy on my team? I don't care much about the commitment he made to his coach or his school or whatever, but with my kids it's always been, you join a team, you are with them until the bitter end. You made a commitment to your teammates. You can quit when the season's over, but not before. If a guy is making business decisions in college, is he going to be making "business decisions" in a playoff game when we are down 14? Fuck that guy.

Look, even if Okung is right, he's wrong. You factor in the long-term value of a college education, these guys are getting paid the equivalent of MILLIONS of dollars for playing college football. Far more than they'd just get paid to play. And yes, Saquon Barkley and Sam Darnold could get paid for more than just a scholarship, but great guys like JoJo and Bierria and MyTevis would be left without a scholarship.

Hi.

Let's say you are really good at something, like signing. It has a shelf life, your voice will fade very quickly after age 25.

You're in a band now, you play small venues and bars. You break even but you're getting good experience.

A record company asks just you to a deal for millions of dollars but you have to leave the band and join a different one the record company already formed.

No one is saying they should pass on the NFL, just to complete your obligation. That was the deal.

So you would agree with schools cutting scholarships midseason if they aren't performing? millions on the line for schools

series of one year scholarships. At the end of each year, either party can not renew.

Are you saying that bowl games are different than the regular season? I couldn't tell you if there was any stipulation that they play ANY game and too lazy to look it up. It was an assumption on my part. You seem to be differentiating between the two, right? Just so I'm clear on your point of view.

According to you. Not the schools.

You seem to like it both ways. Kids can sit out if it's best for them but the school cannot drop them when it's best for them.

Fuck it. Let's pay the football/basketball players big money since they produce it and drop non revenue sports since they don't.

• Options
    TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

Mosster47 said:

RealRhino said:

Hi.

You seem to like it both ways. Kids can sit out if it's best for them but the school cannot drop them when it's best for them.

Fuck it. Let's pay the football/basketball players big money since they produce it and drop non revenue sports since they don't.

People forget that Peterman cut Marcus Peters in the middle of the season.

You can let the players earn whatever outside income they want.

Sorry I'm challenging your slaveholder mentality.
  • Options

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

Mosster47 said:

RealRhino said:

Hi.

1. You forget Gardenhire transferred during the season.

2. I agree with that

3. Slaveholder implies they don't have a choice and has racial overtones. Wondered when would go there. My employees are slaves too, right? Some of them are brown so that makes it so.

• Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    The players have the option to be off scholarship any time they want because well, it would literally be slavery if they couldn't.

Colleges need the players to generate revenue. 12 games with an NFL player and 1 without them makes you more money than zero games with him.

The Baby Boomer answer to everything in today's world is almost certainly the dumbest option. Like attendence = production.
  • Options

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

Mosster47 said:

RealRhino said:

Hi.

Do you doubt 95% of them would do it all again for the opportunities that it created for them? Doubt that real slavery would poll the same.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Yes, colleges need players. But players need colleges. Else they wouldn't be there. And if there was so much money to be made exploiting these guys, the NFL would have set up their own D-League and done it. Unless if says [Your School Name Here] on the jersey, nobody would watch.

And part of what makes college fans care about college football is the vague notion that the guys who *chose* to play for your team -- not for money -- somehow validate and share your choice of school/region. You let the market dictate value, you lose that. Basically, players would just go to the school whose boosters promised to pay them more. I guess if you're a Yankees fan you are okay with that, but I don't believe college football would have nearly the following that it does now if you knew that the players were only there for the money. It would basically be the NFL, but with worse play. Why should I care about that?

If the money comes from the outside, it might as well be the NFL. If it comes from the NCAA, then you lose all non-revenue sports.
  • Options
    TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

Mosster47 said:

RealRhino said:

Hi.

1. You forget Gardenhire transferred during the season.

2. I agree with that

3. Slaveholder implies they don't have a choice and has racial overtones. Wondered when would go there. My employees are slaves too, right? Some of them are brown so that makes it so.

Your employees don't have their wages artifically restrained by a cartel.

HTH
  • Options
    RealRhino said:

Yes, colleges need players. But players need colleges. Else they wouldn't be there. And if there was so much money to be made exploiting these guys, the NFL would have set up their own D-League and done it. Unless if says [Your School Name Here] on the jersey, nobody would watch.

And part of what makes college fans care about college football is the vague notion that the guys who *chose* to play for your team -- not for money -- somehow validate and share your choice of school/region. You let the market dictate value, you lose that. Basically, players would just go to the school whose boosters promised to pay them more. I guess if you're a Yankees fan you are okay with that, but I don't believe college football would have nearly the following that it does now if you knew that the players were only there for the money. It would basically be the NFL, but with worse play. Why should I care about that?

If the money comes from the outside, it might as well be the NFL. If it comes from the NCAA, then you lose all non-revenue sports.

That argument was cute when idiot coaches weren't making millions per year.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    RealRhino said:

So if Cam Newton was given $185,000 by Phil Bleenor to play QB for UW last year you wouldn't care or watch?

The NFL doesn't have a D-league because it isn't as cut and dry as basketball. Every D-1 MLB has very similar physical stats. They separate themselves through play.

As for boosters paying ahead I don't think that would be an issue because so many recruits are busts.

Anyways none of this matters. The skipping of bowls is going to become much more common and there isn't dick the NCAA or schools can do about it. Their volunteers don't want to volunteer anymore and there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it and the NFL won't do anything to help them.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The solution is very simple.

Revenue sharing, salary caps (for coaches and administrators) and stipends to athletes.

As stated above, Mike Leach is being paid as much as the scholarship costs for the entire team. That's all kind of fucked up.

Redistribute the funds, I'm quite sure Mr. Coffee Blower Raccoon Coach could survive on half his current pay. Same with the fucks that get paid $2M to coach bball (Looking at Romar specifically).

There's money available to pay the athletes a 'reasonable' stipend - a few hundie per month so they can buy really good ramen and maybe some occasional blow. The higher ups just don't want to do it because they are living in a golden age where everyone thinks its some sort of rocket science to coach football or build a stadium. It's not.