Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Verlander has pitched over 2,500 innings

And has had a rebirth in Houston, pitching over 200 innings this year.

I don't know why I still care....BUT:

Felix has pitched about 23 total innings less in his career but is clearly on the decline. He is taking up about $27 million in payroll yet will probably only pitch 125 - 150 innings next year, would be ideal if they could get Othani (young Japanese pitcher) to help compensate Felix only going 5 to 6 innings per start and needing to be skipped every now and then the next two seasons.

I'm guessing Servais only has one more year to make the playoffs and Dipoto has two or three. He is looking competent working with the hand he was dealt from Bavasi and JZ (mostly aging roster and bare farm-system).

Comments

• HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,514
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    That's why getting Othani would be huge. Gallardo and Iwakuma are off the books so the money is there to go after him.

Eric Hosmer would be great at 1B and then the M's could trade him when Evan White is ready but that's more of a long-shot.

If no Othani, someone like Lance Lynn would be nice.
    doogie said:

There is no salary cap in baseball. Mariners ownership is rich. Mariners are one of the “haves” in pro -sports by revenue.

Seattle’s fan base would flock to Safeco if the team would ever show signs of life.

Continued losing by Seattle is a choice.

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    excuse me but, are you under the impression off season moves will help the Mariners chances of winning?
    Standard Supporter
    The chances will greatly improve if the spend more money. They had a $171 million payroll this year and have $139 million committed next year so if push spending to at least $195 million (that would be #6 in spending in 2017), Dipoto could add some real pieces without forfeiting picks.

Signing Yu Darvish to a 2 or 3 year deal could possibly help get Othani. Othani is relatively cheap but may have to pay Darvish $20-$25 million per.

Carlos Gomez could also be worth a look at CF. That would mean letting go of Heredia and / or not resigning Dyson but need to get more production out of CF and / or LF. A healthy Haniger will do well in RF. Gamel needs to improve his defense to be the every day LF or else he'd be better off as the 4th OF, backing up Haniger and the new starter in LF.

Another option could be to leave the OF as is with Haniger in RF backed up by Gamel and Gamel / Dyson / Heredia covering LF and Dyson / Heredia covering CF and focusing the money on a 1B like Carlos Santana with a 2 or 3 year deal. He's from the DR so probably knows Cano and Cruz well and he's a switcher hitter. Could then trade Vogelbach for pitching or a AAA OF prospect equivalent.

It remains to be seen if they have will to push $200 million in payroll, chances aren't the best...yeah and no shit, WIW.
  • rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    Getting Otani should be their top priority. Have u ever thought of moving Felix to closer? He could do 2 innings when needed. Diaz is too erratic for my liking. Better situational/matchup guy
    Standard Supporter
    Don't think Felix would accept the closer role...he can still go 5 or 6 innings per start and have decent ERA but that's worth $8-10 million, not $23 million.

Diaz should be fine, the tournament before the 2017 seemed to mess him up and he had an ERA of 2.97 in the 2nd half. Hope he can improve his control as he matures.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Lmao @ people talking about the 2018 Mariners season.

Spoiler alert

It's already over
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hi. The Mariners are fucking losers and you are a fucking loser for caring about them.

You have a lot of hate in your life.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    haie said:

Hi. The Mariners are fucking losers and you are a fucking loser for caring about them.

You have a lot of hate in your life.

This place is full of hate and vitriol. The Lord of the Flies bored for the Pac-8 and HHB relics. We? like it this way.

Sounds like AAAANNNDY and F3 are more your speed.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Just got to Minute Maid park for game 1. Go Dodgers! Or “doyers” if your native language is spanish. LOL1!1 I’ve been on the Dodger bandwagon for a long time now and I am not letting you on anytime soon. Just glad to rid myself of the shame, humiliation and stench of being a mariner fan for 40 years or so. Btw, Houston is a putrid and disgusting place.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Just got to Minute Maid park for game 1. Go Dodgers! Or “doyers” if your native language is spanish. LOL1!1 I’ve been on the Dodger bandwagon for a long time now and I am not letting you on anytime soon. Just glad to rid myself of the shame, humiliation and stench of being a mariner fan for 40 years or so. Btw, Houston is a putrid and disgusting place.

You're going to be disappointed. The NL West Divisional playoffs are over

You're going to be disappointed. The NL West Divisional playoffs are over
    Well that sucks. Still better than being a fan of the mariners, Seahawks and Sonics. You wanna talk disappointed?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Will you be back in Pasadena for the tailgate on Saturday?
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    HFNY said:

The chances will greatly improve if the spend more money. They had a $171 million payroll this year and have $139 million committed next year so if push spending to at least $195 million (that would be #6 in spending in 2017), Dipoto could add some real pieces without forfeiting picks.

Signing Yu Darvish to a 2 or 3 year deal could possibly help get Othani. Othani is relatively cheap but may have to pay Darvish $20-$25 million per.

Carlos Gomez could also be worth a look at CF. That would mean letting go of Heredia and / or not resigning Dyson but need to get more production out of CF and / or LF. A healthy Haniger will do well in RF. Gamel needs to improve his defense to be the every day LF or else he'd be better off as the 4th OF, backing up Haniger and the new starter in LF.

Another option could be to leave the OF as is with Haniger in RF backed up by Gamel and Gamel / Dyson / Heredia covering LF and Dyson / Heredia covering CF and focusing the money on a 1B like Carlos Santana with a 2 or 3 year deal. He's from the DR so probably knows Cano and Cruz well and he's a switcher hitter. Could then trade Vogelbach for pitching or a AAA OF prospect equivalent.

It remains to be seen if they have will to push $200 million in payroll, chances aren't the best...yeah and no shit, WIW.

Lol

Markets on Darvish/Gomez
    Darvish: 5yrs x $25m + vesting option, will likely command opt out and a front loaded deal.
    Gomez: 4yrs x $15m

Even if Seattle bids and lands Darvish, they still need two more top starters. Paxton can’t stay healthy. Felix is probably now a #4 if he can stay healthy.

Yes, will be back for game 3 in the ravine and to see our? Dawgs in the arroyo. (Ravine and arroyo are local lingo, like saying “doyers.” We like to do that.) only in la! Jealous?

Game 2 MFers! I bet you didn’t know kershaw threw 43 sliders last night! Game 1 was very exciting and short (2:28 — hours, minutes, inches, seconds, my wife, your wife, your mom, I got you all covered) it was so awesome i don’t rember a thing. Other than that Houston is a disgusting shithole.

The bishop is on the mound tonight for our? Dodgers and I spank thankfully to that.

Can’t wait to get back to the ravine, arroyo and watts which is where USC plays.

Go dawgs!
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    As good as Verlander has been in league playoff games, he's sucked in the WS

I like my Dodgers tonight