Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Gimmick or genius? Might as well try, absolutely nothing to lose offensively when you’re Utah

89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,452
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
Since getting excited about the new OC is now a decade long Utah tradition, I haven't Dooged much over new guy. I had heard little bits and pieces about his scheme but every year I hear the same shit like "we're going to use the TE more" bla bla bla, fuck off. Shame me 10 times, shame on me. But this motherfucker is saying shit I've never heard before.
It is widely believed that quarterback is the most difficult job in sports, and coaches traditionally have made it even more difficult. Quarterbacks are expected to handle a variety of tasks — get the play from the sideline and internalize it, call the play in the huddle, decide (and remember) the snap count, break the huddle, make a pre-snap read of a constantly shifting defense, check the formation to ensure everyone is lined up correctly, put receivers in motion, check the linemen’s splits, check to ensure the protection is correct, remember the hot receiver, call the snap count ….

Then, the difficult part begins, and the quarterback is expected to read the movements of defensive players in three seconds to determine where he will throw the ball while in the midst of violent chaos.

“Humans are terrible multitaskers,” says Taylor. “I decided to disperse the responsibilities. Instead of placing everything on him, let’s make it easier.”

His quarterbacks do none of the above. Pre-snap read? Pointless, since defenses disguise their attack. Formations? Taylor calls them “irrelevant” for the quarterback. Play calls in the huddle? What huddle? He reduced the quarterback’s duties to one thing.

Better to let Taylor explain:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865686679/Utes-hopes-tied-to-a-new-OC-a-new-offense-and--the-iPhone.html

Comments

• 89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,452
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sounds like he knows Troy Williams is dumb as a fucking rock

But is he Vontaze Burfict dumb?
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
  • priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    If he's successful, he'll be in the SEC in a year or 2. If he's failing, he'll be at Utah for 3 years. Troy Williams as the starter next year will buy him a 3 year stint at Utah.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    Hoping he does a really good job for you. Troy was our? QB when I was an undergrad, and I frequently used to see him at dinner at Manville Hall dining commons across the street from the stadium. Nice guy, unassuming and down-to-earth. Held a lot of QB records at Cal for a while, as he started 3+ years when Snyder was beginning to build something special. Perhaps UW should have hired him as QB mentor when they recruited Browning, since so many here think Jake sucks donkey balls.
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,009
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    you have to go back to 2004, when Taylor was struggling to create a winner at Folsom, which had posted a 15-15 record after three seasons with the West Coast offense.

“I’m a bad loser,” Taylor says. “When I lose, I have bad dreams; I’m physically ill. I’m wondering how am I going to win if I’m going to coach?”

He visited other successful coaches to mine their brains for information about offenses in general, most notably Bill Walsh

• ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • 89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,452
    Swaye's Wigwam

Now hearing rumblings he might not start. We should know for sure tomorrow. At the end of last year I was quick to poast here that he will probably be beaten out by Huntley. Then news about a torn mcl in the USC game explained away some of his shit play so I kind of backed off thinking that. He was slow and tentative all year.
  • rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,009
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    89ute said:

Now hearing rumblings he might not start. We should know for sure tomorrow.

89ute said:

Then news about a torn mcl in the USC game explained away some of his shit play so I kind of backed off thinking that. He was slow and tentative all year.

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    89ute said:

Now hearing rumblings he might not start. We should know for sure tomorrow. At the end of last year I was quick to poast here that he will probably be beaten out by Huntley. Then news about a torn mcl in the USC game explained away some of his shit play so I kind of backed off thinking that. He was slow and tentative all year.
    Hoping for him struggling and creating a qb controversy that divided the locker room