Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

#MyZags

124»

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,681
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Those teams play 10 games and Carolina wins 9 of them ...

Any over analyzing is a complete by product of people being FS and thinking that Gonzaga matched up well ... they didn't and don't

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

The only Zags on the court that looked like they were comfortable playing against major D1 talent were NWG and Collins ... everybody else more or less were outmatched in one form or another by a player that could match/exceed them in their athletic ability, height, or strength. Mathews did fine but he's just a role player. That's what he was at Cal and that's ultimately what he was at Gonzaga.

It's pretty clear at this point that Pete decided to look for opportunities outside of Boise once it became painfully obvious to him that there was only so far he could take the job at Boise. Few's pretty much just content at where he is and will never leave. It's one of the reasons why I thought it was possible that Marshall would move on from Wichita State as they face a similar issue to Gonzaga ... but them moving to the American conference will move them closer to where they need to be (Big East would have been ideal).

That's a nice post game narrative. The reality was Gonzaga lost to a slightly better team. Gonzaga beat plenty of teams this year that had major D-1 talent.

That wasn't an incredibly talented North Carolina team. Neither team is loaded with future NBA studs.

It was a close game the entire way. Neither team shot the ball well and the game came to a grind in the 2nd half because of the refs.
    How many times have you changed your position today?

Here's the possessions/shot attempts from Gonzaga starting with 5 minutes left in the 2nd half:

4:47 - Missed 3 by Mathews (this was the airball that the refs erred in calling a block)
    4:39 - Made 3 by NWG
    3:58 - Missed 3 by NWG
    3:08 - Free throws by NWG (1 of 2)
    2:25 - Made jumper by NWG
    1:55 - Made jumper by NWG
    1:19 - Missed jumper by NWG
    0:17 - Missed jumper by NWG
    0:09 - Turnover by Karnowski
    0:03 - Missed 3 by Mathews

That's 7 straight possessions where the only person digging for their shot was NWG ... everybody else basically crawled into a corner and sucked their thumbs.

Now, I will give you that Gonzaga lost to a better team (although how many people here were calling it for Gonzaga between Saturday night and today?) ... but this is the problem that Gonzaga has with their overall talent level ... it's similar to what Pete experienced at Boise.

If you look at the interior for Gonzaga tonight, their bigs by and large were a non-factor outside of Collins (their only big that is a legit talent. He had 9 points and 7 boards in 14 minutes ... but got into foul trouble and showed that he was a freshman. Williams had good quickness and the ability to cause problems offensively but he couldn't match up with the height/strength combo from Carolina and got himself into foul trouble. Karnowski was visibly bothered by the quickness/length combination of Carolina's defense ... shooting 1-8 from the field with 4 turnovers.

There were people saying that NWG would run all over Carolina because of Berry's injury ... he got a steady dose of Pinson and Jackson ... that led to 5-17 shooting for the game. I also said that Mathews wasn't going to be a massive problem because he was a spot up shooter and Carolina would be able to slow him down ... he was 2 of 7 and basically turned into a spot up shooter (2 of 5 from 3). Melson is ok as a player but he's not a player that's going to demand the ball in that kind of game ... 1 of 3 is about right for him. And has been stated throughout Gonzaga discussions in the past few weeks, Perkins is a disaster when he has to do too much ... he was actually better tonight than most would have expected 13 points on 3 of 8 shooting.

But the point being that there's nobody on Gonzaga outside of NWG that could create a shot when they needed one. They could get locked up by a team that could match their size ... which most can't. Against Carolina, they weren't going to dominate the interior to the point where Carolina would have to dig down and double. It's a completely similar situation to what Gonzaga went through 2 years ago when they lost to Duke in the Regional Finals. Their bigs were basically rendered useless by Duke's bigs and the overall athletic ability gap showed big time.

Let's be completely realistic here ... the reason that there's a lot of "hate" thrown Gonzaga's way is because while they are absolutely well coached and tend to maximize their abilities they don't have a roster or plan that allows them to readily compete against the elite teams in the country. Gonzaga's path to the title game tonight was a dream draw ... they had little overall strength in their way ... West Virginia was a tough match for them but they got lucky with West Virginia literally pissing the game away in a number of different manners ... when Xavier pulled the stunner on Arizona it eased their way to the Final Four. Then with the Villanova and Duke upsets it took 2 teams that could high end talent Gonzaga off the court out of their path.

For Gonzaga to get back to future Final Fours, they will likely again need a very fortunate draw. How often are they going to get a big talent like Collins in their program? If he leaves early then that's the kind of talent they can't replace. NWG is a kind of player that they can't get on their own and only in a FS situation like playing under Romar would that kind of caliber of player even be available to Gonzaga.

Pete learned all of this at Boise and that got him to UW. When Pete saw the difference between UW and Alabama in Atlanta, he's upped the ante in recruiting from that point forward. Gonzaga doesn't have that luxury ... just like Boise State doesn't. Few could have option if he left Gonzaga ... but he won't.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

The only Zags on the court that looked like they were comfortable playing against major D1 talent were NWG and Collins ... everybody else more or less were outmatched in one form or another by a player that could match/exceed them in their athletic ability, height, or strength. Mathews did fine but he's just a role player. That's what he was at Cal and that's ultimately what he was at Gonzaga.

It's pretty clear at this point that Pete decided to look for opportunities outside of Boise once it became painfully obvious to him that there was only so far he could take the job at Boise. Few's pretty much just content at where he is and will never leave. It's one of the reasons why I thought it was possible that Marshall would move on from Wichita State as they face a similar issue to Gonzaga ... but them moving to the American conference will move them closer to where they need to be (Big East would have been ideal).

That's a nice post game narrative. The reality was Gonzaga lost to a slightly better team. Gonzaga beat plenty of teams this year that had major D-1 talent.

That wasn't an incredibly talented North Carolina team. Neither team is loaded with future NBA studs.

It was a close game the entire way. Neither team shot the ball well and the game came to a grind in the 2nd half because of the refs.
    Take a closer look at their schedule. As shitty as the UW schedule was, it was rated higher.
    They play in a shitty conference. Water is wet. They also beat Florida, Arizona, Iowa State, and Tennessee. They always play good non conference games.
    And they also play really really shitty ones people seem to forget about. Like they played UW and Bryant this year.
    You mean they smashed a team with the number 1 pick in the draft?
    Classic zoog! Lots of teams smashed the team with the number one pick. Were you not paying attention?
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,650
    edited April 2017
    dnc said:

I'm going FULL Zaggot tonight.

#unitedwezag
    #zags4lyfe

FO, Z
    SECisKing said:

I'll bet there are people on the East Coast that really never heard of Gunzawga or UCLA

There are p

jumping in late but that last minute of the game was the most mark few minute ever.

Yup. 19 years of semi-fucktardedness rolled into 2 commercial breaks. He is truly the luckiest man alive to have that job. Fucking summer camp hanger-on who didn't have any friends and hung around as towel boy long enough to be the last man standing after Monson bailed to Minnesota.

The NWG drive into the middle of the lane on a bad ankle against, quite possibly, the best frontcourt in the country...that is some dumbshit X and O's. Especially down 3. Christ. Maybe a drive and kick to Mathews - I'm not entirely sure NWG can even dunk, let alone elevate enough to get over a guy 8 inches taller.

And the only reason NWG hero-balled it was because he knew Perkins would if he didn't.

• tenndawgtenndawg Member Posts: 1,161
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

@NeGgaPlEaSe , don't tell me: you like the Polack. Ok, I take it back.

How can you not like Karnowski ?

He looks like he trains by eating breakfast meats all day...

I see him as a future pro wrestler
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

Any over analyzing is a complete by product of people being FS and thinking that Gonzaga matched up well ... they didn't and don't

Of all the dumb shit poasted on a regular basis on this bored, this might be the dumbest.

Kudos.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

I like to say over analysis is fucking stupid after I over analyze

That's what happens when you get people that change their position hourly
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Of all the dumb shit poasted on a regular basis on this bored, this might be the dumbest.

Kudos.
    It's an unprovable point either way ...

But yes, I do think that it is a horrible matchup for Gonzaga and I'd be surprised if many thought Gonzaga was likely to win 5 or more out of 10 games against UNC
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    Anyone see Adam at the game
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Kudos.

But yes, I do think that it is a horrible matchup for Gonzaga and I'd be surprised if many thought Gonzaga was likely to win 5 or more out of 10 games against UNC
    I agree UNC was the better team. But 9 of team is insane man.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,650
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Kudos.

I agree UNC was the better team. But 9 of team is insane man.
    It would be more on the lines of 6 out of 10. GU played just as shitty last night as UNC did.

Few would finally figure out after going down 0-4 that Perkins should play 7 minutes in the first half, then put in Rem Backamus or the Triano kid who couldn't possibly fuck things up worse than 2nd Half Perkins.

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,348
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

They both played like shit and neither team could shoot ... AT ALL. It was disgusting.

If a less intense version of the Oregon team that showed up to punch Kansas in the mouth had been playing last night against either team, they walk, I say, WALK, away with the title w/o breaking a sweat.

I'm not sure about Bell, who was just a monster all tournament, but there aren't any future NBA all stars on that Oregon team as far as I can tell (which isn't very far - it's basketball so I barely give a shit - not real life). They just played an unforced SHIT game against NC in the semis and lost by a point. Dorsey is completely right about that. If Pritchard hits just one of the four or five really nice looks they got him at a three down the stretch, they play Gonzaga and take it.

Last night, Gonzaga benefited from an even worse shooting NC team - even Jackson couldn't hit shit, and he was on fire against Oregon.

I guess I come down on this with Tequilla - Oregon had to play real teams over and over - throughout the season, and in the tournament. If it doesn't beat you up too much, it's better preparation for a championship game, because those are always hard fought.

Gonzaga would do well to tuffen up their schedule. NC was begging them to win that game and they couldn't do it. Crappiest NC team to win a title that I've ever watched. I think if Berry doesn't have bad ankles, the Zags lose by 12+.

And, nobody has focused on this, but Gonzaga's big Polack is a punk and shat the bed Yuge. When you can lick the rim standing on your toes, I have no sympathy or understanding for you when you can't convert in the low poast. Totally unacceptable, and that guy should be on suicide watch this morning. Bell would have packing his shit all night long.

Completely agree. Karvodsky was embarrassing for absolutely no reason, or this game wasn't close.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,348
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Take a closer look at their schedule. As shitty as the UW schedule was, it was rated higher.
    They play in a shitty conference. Water is wet. They also beat Florida, Arizona, Iowa State, and Tennessee. They always play good non conference games.
    First, these are all early in the season games before teams have really figured themselves out.

Iowa St didn't have bigs ... Arizona missing 2 of their perimeter players ...

Gonzaga needs a great draw and a little luck to get really deep ... they got that this year
    Doogs gonna doog. Everyone realizes they had an easy path. They made the championship game. They lost.

You can drone on and on about matchups, Gonzaga's schedule, etc. If they hit a couple shots or free throws you have a completely different tune. They were down 1 point in the final minute.

Sometimes the game comes down to making or missing. Both teams missed a lot in a defensive game. Roy Williams commented that both teams didn't play well. You're an annoying fuck.
    I dont' read "Teqck's" posts, but I assume his drivel has something to do with "big fish in a small pond" for Gonzaga.

Both Gonzaga and Oregon were worthy of winning the title. They both shit the bed, but it has nothing to do with talent.

I too was singing the UW fight song in the Natty like a good little doog, but this is shear faggotry.