Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Confessions of a doog

Comments

• GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    What was Samek's reasoning behind going undefeated?
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

Senior QB, prolific passing offense that Gilby was going to toughen up a bit, and a pretty favorable schedule. All *we had to do was let Pickett and RW steam roll tOSU and it would be smooth sailing.

As it turned out I wanted Gilby fires and flayed at the 50 after *our first offensive series in Columbus. The hype died with me right then and there.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Gladstone said:

2003 was going to be special
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    chuck said:

Senior QB, prolific passing offense that Gilby was going to toughen up a bit, and a pretty favorable schedule. All *we had to do was let Pickett and RW steam roll tOSU and it would be smooth sailing.

As it turned out I wanted Gilby fires and flayed at the 50 after *our first offensive series in Columbus. The hype died with me right then and there.

That might have become the claim later on, but his 12-0 prediction for 03 started in like 2001. He stuck with it even after RN was fired, but it originated while RN was here.
  • AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2016
    dnc said:

chuck said:

That might have become the claim later on, but his 12-0 prediction for 03 started in like 2001. He stuck with it even after RN was fired, but it originated while RN was here.
    The general line of thinking was that we had absolutely killed it in recruiting in 2001 and 2002.

I even thought Dash Crutchley was going to be a good player.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

This thread is pretty fun. It's so long now I can't remember if I already posted my confession. Here are a few things I haven't selectively forgotten:

I stayed quiet but was cautiously optimistic about Gilby and Ty when first hired.

I kinda bought in to the Gilby undefeated hype stirred up by Samek.

I thought president Emmert was going to be good for the program.

I did speak up in defense of Ty in years 1-2 when his louder critics hammered on things that didn't seem justified. One example would be his shit canning Hemphill and Braunstein, both of whom sucked so I was right. Still doogish.

I thought UW might hire Herm Edwards.

I liked Locker and made excuses for him, same as I did for Stanback.

I got excited about what I saw in Sark's first game against LSU...classic moral victory.

I thought keeping Wilcox and the rest of the staff might be a good idea when Sark left.

I thought we might have a chance against Oregon EVERY year during the streak.

I'm sure there were plenty of others.

Hemphill didn't suck.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

chuck said:

This thread is pretty fun. It's so long now I can't remember if I already posted my confession. Here are a few things I haven't selectively forgotten:

I stayed quiet but was cautiously optimistic about Gilby and Ty when first hired.

I did speak up in defense of Ty in years 1-2 when his louder critics hammered on things that didn't seem justified. One example would be his shit canning Hemphill and Braunstein, both of whom sucked so I was right. Still doogish.

I got excited about what I saw in Sark's first game against LSU...classic moral victory.

I thought keeping Wilcox and the rest of the staff might be a good idea when Sark left.

Hemphill didn't suck.
    How was he good? Just because some players on the team said he was?

With some of the guys, it's hard to tell. It's hard to look good with shitty coaching. That said, shitty teams normally have poor talent. Hemphill did not do anything post UW to make anyone believe he was any good.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    TommySQC said:

TTJ said:

Dugdawg said:

I started buying season tickets in 1992. This whole thing is my fault.

I actually haven't missed a home game since the start of the '93 season. So I may be more to blame than you.

And although I hated the Sark hire, I got completely got swept up in the "moral victory" talk after that opening loss to LSU. And the USC win. And the St. Tosh Day Massacre.
    2 games since '96. Once I was in a wedding (they got divorced like 4 years later) and the other was Dad's weekend at WSU and I had missed the previous year and made my daughter cry.

FYFMFE
    Pics of daugther?
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

chuck said:

Hemphill didn't suck.

With some of the guys, it's hard to tell. It's hard to look good with shitty coaching. That said, shitty teams normally have poor talent. Hemphill did not do anything post UW to make anyone believe he was any good.
    He was the best safety on the team and produced greatly when given the opportunity.

You try maximizing your skills when the authority figure intrusted in your development puts you in the doghouse.

Willingham actively cost guys who had a chance millions.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

irrelevant

the manner in which ty cut them was pretty low class and alienated the team. probably permanently

why are we talking about this in december of 2016

because I'm blacked out and want to make a tiff.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

chuck said:

Hemphill didn't suck.
    No tiff gonna happen. Its a matter of opinion and what each of us thought we saw. I saw a big and imposing but slow, lumbering safety that frequently came in two steps late with his head down. He got a few nice pops on guys that were already going down but couldn't make a 1 on 1 stop in the open field because he had limited quickness and bad technique. Any wr or tb could juke him out of his shoes or outrun him.

That's just what I thought. I was excited about him as a prospect but lost the excitement quickly when I saw him play. Many others seemed to stay caught up in the hype. There were few exciting prospects coming in those days so it didn't take much in the way of talent to get people excited.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    AlCzervik said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

The general line of thinking was that we had absolutely killed it in recruiting in 2001 and 2002.

I even thought Dash Crutchley was going to be a good player.
    H
    Gladstone said:

irrelevant

the manner in which ty cut them was pretty low class and alienated the team. probably permanently

why are we talking about this in december of 2016

They are in the wigwag
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,707
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Gladstone said:

The birth of the 40 yard sideways pass to the fullback because no one covers him!
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813

TommySQC said:

TTJ said:

Dugdawg said:

I actually haven't missed a home game since the start of the '93 season. So I may be more to blame than you.

And although I hated the Sark hire, I got completely got swept up in the "moral victory" talk after that opening loss to LSU. And the USC win. And the St. Tosh Day Massacre.
    2 games since '96. Once I was in a wedding (they got divorced like 4 years later) and the other was Dad's weekend at WSU and I had missed the previous year and made my daughter cry.

FYFMFE
    Pics of daugther?
    They are in the WigWam
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,098
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    TommySQC said:

TommySQC said:

TTJ said:

Dugdawg said:

FYFMFE
    Pics of daugther?
    They are in the WigWam
    And they are spectacular
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

chuck said:

Hemphill didn't suck.

He was the best safety on the team and produced greatly when given the opportunity.

You try maximizing your skills when the authority figure intrusted in your development puts you in the doghouse.

Willingham actively cost guys who had a chance millions.
    Being the tallest midget doesn't make you tall.