Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fotu Leiato

2»

Comments

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,894
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2015
    Has this kid actually set up any visits besides Oregon on the last weekend before signing day?

It seems odd that the kid has offers from Oklahoma, UCLA, Michigan State, etc but doesn't seem to have set up visits anywhere. Reminds me of Jojo Mathis who supposedly had offers to everywhere in the country but only visited UW and Utah. In his case no one wanted to take a chance on his grades.

The fact that Oregon wants him to visit right before signing day tels me either
    A) they want to use him as bait to get Potato to visit them right before signing day, or
    B )He's a plan B they can take if they need to fill a LB spot. Remember, they don't accept commitments until someone visits.

I wouldn't be surprised if this viral video recruit cools down and ends up signing with WSU in the end. Then the coogs can crow about how they got the secret best recruit in the nation
  • Options
    HUSKYFANATICHUSKYFANATIC Member Posts: 1,651
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Oregon lost out on Tevis Bartlett to the UW. They need LB's!
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Im curious, is there any evidence of this guys potential beyond just blowing up guys on kickoffs?

Yes. He won defensive MVP of his league. He played QB and RB on offense and broke off a bunch of long TD runs. MaxPreps stats show he ran for 666 yards at almost 8 yards a clip. On defense he timed his blitzes perfectly and showed football instincts that can't be taught. He made a bunch of plays around the line and he didn't just get guys down, but destroyed them. Great instincts and he loves to hit. There is a reason he's blown up.

This is in response to other posts, not Chestbeaters: Petersen does his own evaluation which is great. He didn't seem to want Thockmorton or Lemeiux either. It happens. Some of you sound like Coogs though.

"All he does is blow up guys on kick offs!" As I noted in the first paragraph, that is bullshit.

"These schools only want him because of Potatoe!" Oregon is riding high off a title game experience and they are offering Leiato as a favor to get Potoae? Think that through. Potoae is a good prospect. He's not a 5 star can't miss guy.

"Petersen doesn't offer because of a great highlight film!" But Stoops, Dantonio, Mora, and Helfrich do. Those coaches suck compared to Petersen. Last I checked, those schools are better than UW.

Leiato is a tweener and we already have a lot of LB's and safeties. Maybe he's not an OKG either. There are a lot of explanations other than he sucks or only blows up guys on kick offs.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I'm saying we're judging Petersen in large part based on a highlight film (you cite additional detail but in large part we're working off a highlight film and Nacho's insights). You correctly note that Pete passed on Throckmorton and Lemieux where others saw value. Others see value in Fotu and offered. Great. They see something our staff doesn't. What I take issue with is the insinuation the Pete and Squad don't know what they are doing for offering Manu instead of Fotu and saying Pete sucks because others are offering.

I'm very pleased at how well Pete has recruiting WA this year and last. If Sark had done it as well Pete our roster would be way better. I just think there's probably a very valid reason they're not offering like with Lemieux or Throckmorton...and by the way we're all assuming they haven't offered when we know jack shit or we know whatever jack the lad spews.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Finally watched. Yeah he's small but if you don't think this kid can play you're FS. You're telling me he couldn't be Sean Parker? If we're not recruiting him, could be academis related. No idea.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Im curious, is there any evidence of this guys potential beyond just blowing up guys on kickoffs?

Watch his full Hudl. The kid looks pretty damn good.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015
    I just watched the Hudl again, and this one confuses me. There is something not football related for why we aren't offering him. Either that or Pete is kicking himself for offering some of the other LB's, although I doubt it. If he thought Leiato was special he would find a way to make room.

Leiato is a football player. If you say he only blows guys up on kick offs, then you obviously didn't watch past the first minute. He dominates in every facet of the game. He does everything you would want a high school player to do against sub par competition. I've made this point a few times before, but I'm going to again; First team all league on offense, defense, and special teams.

His motor is non stop. He's running guys down 50 yards down the field, trucking blockers as a punt gunner, playing every special team, and showing great instincts both as a ball carrier and timing his blitzes. The Polamolu comparison is the easy one because of the hair, but honestly, it seems fairly accurate. Leiato is a defensive playmaker.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    He is not a big guy but he has a football brain, which means he could be a good college player. I think we either already have his spot filled, or there is some issue that is at odds with what Petersen wants for the team.
  • Options
    ThumpThump Member Posts: 793
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Was offered by Oregon according to Huffmans Twatter.

Seems like Peterson is recruting well, but I find it odd why Peterson hasn't offered, or maybe Peterson has better info than Oregon, UCLA, Michigan State and Oklahoma. Either way...

Maybe he or his staff have talked to the kid and don't think he's OKG.

Also, hasn't it been written that Pete only offers kids that will commit and stay committed? (or something along those lines)

Maybe this kid is interested in shopping around more and has told UW staff as much.

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,894
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Thump said:

Was offered by Oregon according to Huffmans Twatter.

Seems like Peterson is recruting well, but I find it odd why Peterson hasn't offered, or maybe Peterson has better info than Oregon, UCLA, Michigan State and Oklahoma. Either way...

Maybe he or his staff have talked to the kid and don't think he's OKG.

Also, hasn't it been written that Pete only offers kids that will commit and stay committed? (or something along those lines)

Maybe this kid is interested in shopping around more and has told UW staff as much.

Yeah, Petersen does a pretty good job of researching these guys before he extends an offer and definitely puts a premium on kids who will stay all four years, buy in and not be an ass in the locker room or at school.

It could be that Petersen went to Steilacoom, asked the principal about the kid and he said "Oh yeah, kid is a talentented football player, I just hope he matures. Unfortunately he skips class a lot, acts a fool in class, and hangs out with the kids who sell weed."

This scenario is, of course, all hypothetical, but I'm sure there have been kids who Petersen thought about bringing in, but then met them and said "nope". Clearly, Sark did not have such reservations about players.