Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Bellevue vs Marysville Pilchuk report

2»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2014

CAL actually just recently passed new rules for football players to get in. Their standards have gone up now because of the trouble they got in with APR while players like Jackson and Lynch were there. The school board or something passed them for the school and it will for sure shrink the type of players they can get into school now.

mercurynews.com/sports/ci_26823904/80-percent-cal-recruits-must-have-3-0

That's actually waaay beyond what we're talking about and is rather significant. That's a move by Cal to head in the direction of Stanford (though Stanford's standards are 100% at or above some B average GPA - it's a real and absolute floor).

If Cal actually implements this, they will be among the exceptions to the rule out there.

And remember, we're only talking about 1/2 of the equation here - GPA - which can be made up of easy classes. The SAT/ACT is where D1a programs REALLY need the NCAA minimums to work. That is where you find that a huge % of most any program's roster shouldn't be at the school.

These fb teams, almost all of them, are a lot dumber than people think. I got to know some of the guys on the UW team in the early 90s. Trust me. There were A LOT of REALLY academically unprepared kids on those rosters. I tutored some of them at the EOP center just off Brooklyn. Some of them were socially scary dudes too, but the real eye opener was how poorly prepared most of them were.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,917
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    A friend of mine belongs to the same athletic club right now as LenDale White. He says that he's a "scary, angry dude."
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

CAL actually just recently passed new rules for football players to get in. Their standards have gone up now because of the trouble they got in with APR while players like Jackson and Lynch were there. The school board or something passed them for the school and it will for sure shrink the type of players they can get into school now.

That's actually waaay beyond what we're talking about and is rather significant. That's a move by Cal to head in the direction of Stanford (though Stanford's standards are 100% at or above some B average GPA - it's a real and absolute floor).

If Cal actually implements this, they will be among the exceptions to the rule out there.

And remember, we're only talking about 1/2 of the equation here - GPA - which can be made up of easy classes. The SAT/ACT is where D1a programs REALLY need the NCAA minimums to work. That is where you find that a huge % of most any program's roster shouldn't be at the school.

These fb teams, almost all of them, are a lot dumber than people think. I got to know some of the guys on the UW team in the early 90s. Trust me. There were A LOT of REALLY academically unprepared kids on those rosters. I tutored some of them at the EOP center just off Brooklyn. Some of them were socially scary dudes too, but the real eye opener was how poorly prepared most of them were.

Uh, who gives a fuck?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Uh, who gives a fuck?
    uh, I don't know. People?