Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cyler Miles, and Are We Doomed At QB?

Comments

• Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2014
    That throwing motion is broken. He throws like an old man with an arthritic shoulder.

As long as that throwing motion is there, his potential is limited in my opinion. Slow release with below average velocity - he will have to be excellent with post-snap reads and throwing with anticipation to be an an above average pac12 QB.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

That throwing motion is broken. He throws like an old man with an arthritic shoulder.

As long as that throwing motion is there, his potential is limited in my opinion. Slow release with below average velocity - he will have to be excellent with post-snap reads and throwing with anticipation to be an an above average pac12 QB.

Which clearly he isn't.
  • Options
    devildawgdevildawg Member Posts: 67
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    The odd thing about Miles is when he shows confidence,knows where to go with the ball and steps in to his throws....that delivery gets a whole lot shorter and quicker,the ball gets out there pretty quick...problem is it's only showing up on 2-3 throws out of 10? Half his throws are so ugly it's hard to figure out if he's got what it takes mentally,don't know that I've ever seen a QB that looks pretty solid both passing and running and two plays later look like a back up walk on who can't run or throw at all
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I just want to see results and improvements and in the last 2 weeks he has done that. Like I said 2 weeks ago let's this play out before you write him off. Tim Tebow passed for almost 10,000 yards in SEC with 66% completion rate and he has the worst throwing motion I ever seen. What you guys are comparing him to is NFL standards and right now his game may not be suited for the NFL but He can be a very good College QB with his skill set. Again, because of all the time he has missed I just want to see him get better and improve each week and so far he is doing that.

I'm coming around Donald. He's always going to be limited by his lack of arm strength but he's showing improvement on the mental side. His short throws have improved a ton because he's not panicking and he made several great ones yesterday where he knew a hit was coming. Poise either shows up or it doesn't and his seems to be coming around. That was a really good performance last night. We tend to brush it off and attribute it to the Beavs not being very good, but the truth is that their defense is not bad relative to the rest of the conference. I've accepted that Miles just played real well last night after sleeping on it.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I don't think anyone can make the argument Cyler has not gotten a lot better the last couple weeks, it's good to see. But man, he still drives me nuts with his fumbles and mental decisions. I really hope he figures it all out.
  • Options
    CharlesMincyCharlesMincy Member Posts: 44
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    There is NO reason to be doomed at QB. Just go get and COACH a good one.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,156
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You can get a pretty good QB for a Camaro

Allegedly
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I don't think Miles is completely broken at QB. I don't think his ceiling is at an elite level with the arm so he'll have to supplement what he does with his legs and intangibles to become elite. Tebow is a great example of someone that didn't have an elite arm but had the legs and intangibles in spades that allowed him to be an elite college QB.

I'm liking that we're seeing improved decision making. The throw that he made when scrambling and then hitting the WR on the sideline was a massive improvement. There are plenty of plays to make down the field in those situations. Also gives me hope that the game might be slowing down for him a bit.

I would like to see him be a little more nuanced with his ability to manipulate and read coverages. If you look at the GIFs that Grundle posted of some of the major plays Miles made in the passing game, it looks like he locked onto the WR in those instances. There was a throw that Wilson made to Lockette in yesterday's Seahawk game that showed how nuanced you can get by looking off a defender with your eyes or body positioning. It's an area where Miles can definitely improve in.

I still worry about Miles with his ability to throw into tight spaces and in anticipation. But those are things that you can grow in as you get more confident and the game slows down a bit. Growing up and taking more accountability from a leadership perspective would also be helpful. At this point, his body language doesn't inspire confidence.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

It could be worse at QB. We could be starting a FR walk-on who *isn't* an ESPN top 150 recruit... like the Cuogs.

Falk >>>>>>>> Halliday and Miley though.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

It could be worse at QB. We could be starting a FR walk-on who *isn't* an ESPN top 150 recruit... like the Cuogs.

Falk >>>>>>>> Halliday and Miley though.
    Not true or Sark would have signed him and he wouldn't have had to walk on at WSU

• Options
    CrawfishCrawfish Member Posts: 734
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

His name is Browning, and he is rail thin.

@swaye true?
  • Options
    longduckdonglongduckdong Member Posts: 1,007
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    MisterEm said:

Cyler will be a gamer come this time next year.

Disagree
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    this thread delivers
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I love that @BallSacked just vacated after the Mora implosion. His perma-avatar being a Stanford helmet (he switched to it for the 2016 Stanford game and then left after that game) stands as a glowing tribute to his fucktardedness.

@HarveyRoad will always be a giant fucking pussy.

Don't listen to his minion, @TierbsHsotBoobs.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    MisterEm said:

I love that @BallSacked just vacated after the Mora implosion. His perma-avatar being a Stanford helmet (he switched to it for the 2016 Stanford game and then left after that game) stands as a glowing tribute to his fucktardedness.

• Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

MisterEm said:

I stand corrected. Bout time, Sven.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,156
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Harv blocks and unblocks Sven a lot. Quite common really
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Harv blocks and unblocks Sven a lot. Quite common really

Not a big deal?