Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

disappointing season

TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
edited February 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
any way you slice it. There were some fun times vs OSU and SU and some low points blowouts at LSU, UO, and UA. Of course the WSU loss was the low point. All coaches get blown out and all coaches kick games they are supposed to win, so that isn't the issue as much as the frequency. Those who are firmly in Sark's camp, will point out how scholarship limits and increased revenue have helped schools like OSU, UO and the AZ schools compete more than they could during the DJ era which we all compare success to. However, that doesn't mean that a school like UW cannot have another run. Many schools still do. Even Oregon has an amazing run going and it's due to their commitments to athletics. You can have a prestigious university and a great football program. Sark gets next year without a doubt and while I'm not thrilled with the year and see some alarming things, I do think he has a huge upside that is worth the risk. I will be back in August dreaming of 10 win seasons and Rose Bowls.

Comments

• Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,412
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2012
    Yes, it is the frequency... we get blown out multiple times a year and go on 3+ game losing streaks, EVERY SINGLE SEASON HE HAS COACHED HERE!

I don't buy the "scholarship limits and increased revenue" argument. That's a crock a shit excuse. Excuses, excuses and more excuses.

One question though, can you explain what you think Sark's upside is? As far as I'm concerned, after four seasons, his body of work is in and it speaks for itself. He's a .500 HC.
  • Options
    I do think his youth impacts his ability to draw other coaches and recruits. I like that he recognizes Twitter as a tool and had name recognition among a lot of media. No that doesn't translate into a feat coach but it certainly helps give a place like Washington get some "sizzle". it's why Grinolds has his nose in his ass 24/7. The difference being I can separate style and substance. I will also give him huge props for being able to lure top assistants. Holt may have been a huge failure but to get him was a coup at the time and Wilcox/Sirmon then Tosh wouldn't happen under any other staff.
  • Options
    "... but it certainly helps give a place like Washington get some 'sizzle.'" What are you implying here? When you say, "... a place like Washington," it makes it sound like you regard UW as some sort of shithole that's never done anything. I'm not following you.
  • Options
    Washington is not SC or Texas. It's not in the middle of a recruiting hotbed. It's not in a warm climate....the PNW gets lost
  • Options
    You're not from Washington, are you?
  • Options
    Yes I am but I also understand where Washington sits in the cfb hierarchy.
  • Options
    Do you understand that we're 2nd in the Pac-12 behind only SC, in terms of Rose Bowls played in?
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,099
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Do you understand that we're 2nd in the Pac-12 behind only SC, in terms of Rose Bowls played in?

And, presently, that means horseshit to incoming recruits. They're too busy marveling over Oregon's uniforms.

• Options
    GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Tradition means a little to recruits, and a lot to alums. USC has 32 Rose Bowl appearances. Nobody else is close. Washington has 14, Stanford 13 and UCLA 12. It probably helps USC in recruiting still (since it has been so dominant), but I doubt it is compelling for any other institution's recruiting.
  • Options
    Mooser42Mooser42 Member Posts: 763
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    MelloDawg said:

And, presently, that means horseshit to incoming recruits. They're too busy marveling over Oregon's uniforms.

This.
  • Options

They way to get where we all think UW should sit is through recruiting. You have to appeal to recruits and that it's through tweeting and uniforms not RB appearances. Sad but true. I didn't make the rules
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    Founders Club
    Mora is kicking ass in recruiting. Last I checked, he has tweeted four times since August.
  • Options

Mora is kicking ass in recruiting. Last I checked, he has tweeted four times since August.

UCLA > UW in :

University (generally)
    Locale
    Ecposure
    Weather and women
    Stadium

I NEVER said that this alone would win kids over but it definitely helps and gives UW and edge
  • Options
    Also, the thing that draws me to Mora is that he is SO passionate. I believe attitude has such a huge impact on a program much like Harbaugh did at SU. Mora has that, Sark doesn't.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    Founders Club
    TommySQC said:

Also, the thing that draws me to Mora is that he is SO passionate. I believe attitude has such a huge impact on a program much like Harbaugh did at SU. Mora has that, Sark doesn't.

Passionate, hard-assed and dedicated.
  • Options
    purplehazepurplehaze Member Posts: 20
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    Honest question for discussion: did Carroll have it? That is what Sark has tried to emulate, from fist pumps to music at practice.

What is different, other than the talent levels between USC and UW?
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    A dick? No, I have a puffy little ginage between my supple thighs.

@GrundleStiltzkin