Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Why doesn't Nick Saban promote his coordinators from within?

Does he know something Mark Helfrich doesn't?

Comments

• Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Mike Bellotti, Jeff Tedford, Gary Crowton, and Chip Kelly weren't hired from within. That's every OC that Oregon has had for any BCS or double digit win season since football was invented. None of them were from within the staff.

Bellotti was from Chico State, Tedford from Fresno State, Crowton from the unemployment line, and Chip from New Hampshire. To me it seems like mining the lower ranks for talent worked wonders for Oregon on offense. It only makes sense to hire someone from within the defensive staff that has been the weak point of the program over the last twenty years!!!

2014 = Preseason Top 3 with a 2nd year HC, O-coordintor, and first year D-coordinator.

When the fuck did we decide to go into rebuild mode with our two most anticipated teams ever? Here is some hard truth; If Slingblade can't win the conference or make a BCS level post season with two Top 3 teams to start the year then he never will. No reason to LIPO, you know he can't get you to the top.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Mosster47 said:

Mike Bellotti, Jeff Tedford, Gary Crowton, and Chip Kelly weren't hired from within. That's every OC that Oregon has had for any BCS or double digit win season since football was invented. None of them were from within the staff.

Bellotti was from Chico State, Tedford from Fresno State, Crowton from the unemployment line, and Chip from New Hampshire. To me it seems like mining the lower ranks for talent worked wonders for Oregon on offense. It only makes sense to hire someone from within the defensive staff that has been the weak point of the program over the last twenty years!!!

2014 = Preseason Top 3 with a 2nd year HC, O-coordintor, and first year D-coordinator.

When the fuck did we decide to go into rebuild mode with our two most anticipated teams ever? Here is some hard truth; If Slingblade can't win the conference or make a BCS level post season with two Top 3 teams to start the year then he never will. No reason to LIPO, you know he can't get you to the top.

Preseason ratings are a very good indicator of how a team will actually perform in that season.

Sincerely,
    The 2012 USC Trojans.
  • To be fair to Mosster, that team probably has top 3 caliber players especially with MariGOATa.

At least that's my perception. Helfrich will probably fuck it up and Oregon will go 10-2 or 9-3 and finish 12th, however.

To be fair to Mosster, that team probably has top 3 caliber players especially with MariGOATa.

At least that's my perception. Helfrich will probably fuck it up and Oregon will go 10-2 or 9-3 and finish 12th, however.

This! If you can't win the conference and make the BCS/Playoff with this season or next season's roster then when are you supposed to?

I for one don't feel like waiting until Slingblade builds a 2001 Miami roster so he can live up to expectations. I'll back off and give him 2014, but if it's 2 or 3 losses again I'm done. He could deliver and we'll know after we play Sparty.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Mosster47 said:

Mark Helfrich says hello.

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Those guys were hired to come in, implement their offense, and call plays. Slingblade was brought in to make sure everyone had enough to drink. HTH. Oregon's offense was not and is still his and he did not and still doesn't call plays.

The deeper you go down the Slingblade "rabbit hole" the more shitty it looks.

A friend described it best to me last week. It's like hiring the CEO's secretary once the CEO moves on.

edited January 2014
    Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Those guys were hired to come in, implement their offense, and call plays. Slingblade was brought in to make sure everyone had enough to drink. HTH. Oregon's offense was not and is still his and he did not and still doesn't call plays.

A friend described it best to me last week. It's like hiring the CEO's secretary once the CEO moves on.

Hi there.

I don't give a shit about Oregon football or your campaign against the coach. You can said that every Oregon OC that went to the BCS or won double digit wins was one of those four, but Helfrich was the OC more seasons of double digit wins and BCS's than any of them.

If you want to talk about people who ran the offense say that. Saying offensive coordinators and then acting like Helfrich wasn't the OC is ignorant.

Hope that helps.

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Hi there.

I don't give a shit about Oregon football or your campaign against the coach. You can said that every Oregon OC that went to the BCS or won double digit wins was one of those four, but Helfrich was the OC more seasons of double digit wins and BCS's than any of them.

If you want to talk about people who ran the offense say that. Saying offensive coordinators and then acting like Helfrich wasn't the OC is ignorant.

Hope that helps.

Hi, offensive coordinators coordinate an offense and call plays, period. You can call a guy the associate assistant to the head coach in training, buy he's still just a fucking assistant. He has zero head coaching authority. Do you think Pat HaydenFS is going to call up Tui when something serious happens in the program?

A guy that isn't running his offense and isn't calling plays isn't an offensive coordinator. If you think being a spotter in the booth is the same as what Bellotti, Tedford, Crowton, and Kelly did then you're a Fucktard. Paying someone for a title and paying someone to actually do something are very different.
    Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Hi there.

Hope that helps.

Hi, offensive coordinators coordinate an offense and call plays, period. You can call a guy the associate assistant to the head coach in training, buy he's still just a fucking assistant. He has zero head coaching authority. Do you think Pat HaydenFS is going to call up Tui when something serious happens in the program?

A guy that isn't running his offense and isn't calling plays isn't an offensive coordinator. If you think being a spotter in the booth is the same as what Bellotti, Tedford, Crowton, and Kelly did then you're a Fucktard. Paying someone for a title and paying someone to actually do something are very different.
    Helfrich was brought in as the offensive coordinator. If you wanted to say "these are the guys who called plays for Oregon" you should have just said that. I never said he did the same thing as the other four.

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Mosster47 said:

The Ducks are not a top 3 program next year. It's clear that the edge that Oregon had the last 4 Seasons went away last November in Palo Alto and never returned. Stanford will be down from last year as well as OS in the North. Cal is dreck. WSU will be a little better and UW will be about the same despite the 4-0 gimme OOC. Next year will be the beginning of the power structure shifting from the North to the South as UCLA, ASU will be better than this year. SC is a wildcard. But UCLA and ASU will be better than anything in the North next year. IMO.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Saban is a sociopath
    Saban hired a Kiffen just to show the SEC he can still win it with an actual retard calling plays for him.

He's tired of just being better than everyone. Now he wants his own handicaps, so to speak.