Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Beno Bryant: The Past Can be Prologue for Current Huskies

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited December 2012 in Tug Tavern

imageBeno Bryant: The Past Can be Prologue for Current Huskies

For the Washington Huskies, the 2012 football season was herky-jerky and bipolar. Benchmark victories over Stanford and Oregon State sent Husky fans pouring onto the field in wild celebration. But soul-crushing defeats to the likes of Arizona and Washington State left observers wondering about the mental toughness of the team.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It still comes down to coaching. Beano says the intensity came from the players, while I'm sure he felt it did, but the reality if the environment that was established by the coaches long before Beano arrived demanded that intensity. Players were recruited that had it...by the coaches...coaches like Lambright and Hart demanded it. Coaching...that's the number1 issue.
  • Options
    volcanodawgvolcanodawg Member Posts: 282
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2012
    MD, I agree.

The head coach creates the culture along with the expectations. The players then embody that culture and are tasked as teammates to live up to those expectations collectively. We have been missing that culture at UW for 2 decades. Woodward will give Sark another vote of confidence at the end of this sloppy year, and we'll once again lower the bar for the entire program by accepting pure mediocrity for his 4th year. There seems to be no sense of urgency from the AD to demand excellence and that is what is ultimately most frustrating for me personally.

What happens when Sark goes 7-6 next year in that shiny new stadium? Will someone finally wake up and get serious about football? I'm not holding my breath, because you know we just went 0-12 right?, injuries, youth, new coaches, etc will provide the predictable backdrop for yet another disappointing year.

Rinse, Lather, Repeat.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,412
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Great interview. Beans obviously knows what it means to be a Husky, and I agree with everything he says, especially that it doesn't seem like many of our current Huskies understand the responsibilities that come with playing for the UW. Where's the passion? I don't know if Sark truly understands what it means to be a Husky, and therein lies the problem. I know AD Scott Woodward doesn't understand it, just refer to his interview during the Cal game. Embarrassing. A perfect example is Beno's story above about Brostek. If that were to happen in practice under Sark, I bet he would kick the players out of practice for fighting... because I've heard of him doing it before! That type of nastiness, intensity, passion, edginess, etc. is my idea of what a REAL, true Husky is, and it has been essentially nonexistent since the 2000 squad. I hope someday it returns. WOOF.
  • Options
    Craig FreemanCraig Freeman Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Thank you, Beno; that inspired me. I hope current players and recruits read this interview. Much can be learned.
  • Options
    Husky1995Husky1995 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I agree with Beno completely, we need to have that killer instinct that passion to succeed and to do whatever it takes on the field. We need to dominate using the god given talent along with unparalleld passion.

I have more passion than some of the players sitting on the couch watching the game. My wife and all my neighbors think I'm crazy, yelling at the players through the TV. Sometimes I just wanted to grab them by the neck and get it through their heads that this is HUSKY football and we play hard and no one will ever out hustle us.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2012
    Husky1995 said:

I agree with Beno completely, we need to have that killer instinct that passion to succeed and to do whatever it takes on the field. We need to dominate using the god given talent along with unparalleld passion.

I have more passion than some of the players sitting on the couch watching the game. My wife and all my neighbors think I'm crazy, yelling at the players through the TV. Sometimes I just wanted to grab them by the neck and get it through their heads that this is HUSKY football and we play hard and no one will ever out hustle us.

Husky1995 said:

Husky1995 said:

So we heard

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rz2AYQ_-tQ