Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Oregon's cupcakes

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
The Ducks will host South Dakota on Aug. 30, 2014, UC Davis on Sept. 3, 2016 and Southern Utah on Sept. 2, 2017.

A low-cost opponent at a presumably sold-out Autzen Stadium is a big revenue game for the athletic department, and thus one of these games will be on the schedule every year. Oregon hosts Nicholls State this season and Eastern Washington in 2015.

Comments

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    wait til they have to deal with the Pac12 schedule though!
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

The Ducks will host South Dakota on Aug. 30, 2014, UC Davis on Sept. 3, 2016 and Southern Utah on Sept. 2, 2017.

A low-cost opponent at a presumably sold-out Autzen Stadium is a big revenue game for the athletic department, and thus one of these games will be on the schedule every year. Oregon hosts Nicholls State this season and Eastern Washington in 2015.

Huskies:
    2013 Idaho State
    2014 Eastern Washington
    2015 Sacramento State

Apparently, Washington beat 'em to the punch with that strategy.

Hey, if the damn SEC can do it and end up in the NC every year why not? I still think the best non-conference plan is a cupcake (see above), mediocre program (Illinois fills the bill for 2013), and a strong opponent. On the latter Boise State comes to mind as long as the Huskies don't have to play 'em in Boise.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    Founders Club
    Don't we have Georgia State somewhere in there too?
  • section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The difference is that Whoregon (LOL!) will play the cupcakes to a sold out stadium. UW is lucky to get 50% capacity for those games
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    http://www2.registerguard.com/cms/index.php/duck-football/comments/two-weeks-out-from-opener-autzen-sellout-streak-of-82-games-in-jeopardy/

They did eventually sell out thanks to Groupon or ValuPak...something like that. Even those fans who have nothing else to do get tired of seeing the beat downs. They are unentertaining which contradicts the whole point of going to the game. Everyone loves to win but at some point it ceases to entertain us.
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    TommySQC said:

http://www2.registerguard.com/cms/index.php/duck-football/comments/two-weeks-out-from-opener-autzen-sellout-streak-of-82-games-in-jeopardy/

They did eventually sell out thanks to Groupon or ValuPak...something like that. Even those fans who have nothing else to do get tired of seeing the beat downs. They are unentertaining which contradicts the whole point of going to the game. Everyone loves to win but at some point it ceases to entertain us.

I just don't see the problem with ONE home cupcake a year, especially if it's the first game of the season. Gives the home team a chance to get some game action and work out the bugs.

Now if a team goes the Kansas State route that's a different deal. For 2013 KSU opens with the murderer's row of North Dakota State, Louisiana Lafayette, and U Mass. Granted, we're talking the state of KANSAS here and there ain't much else to do but WTF - THREE CUPCAKES IN A ROW? I know Bill Snyder has been doing that for years but sheesh...
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

TommySQC said:

I just don't see the problem with ONE home cupcake a year, especially if it's the first game of the season. Gives the home team a chance to get some game action and work out the bugs.

Now if a team goes the Kansas State route that's a different deal. For 2013 KSU opens with the murderer's row of North Dakota State, Louisiana Lafayette, and U Mass. Granted, we're talking the state of KANSAS here and there ain't much else to do but WTF - THREE CUPCAKES IN A ROW? I know Bill Snyder has been doing that for years but sheesh...
    And they will be in the Natonal championship discussion. Like it or not, playing easy teams out of conference is the way to go is your serious about going to a BCS game. That said, am early lose to a great team can be overcome, but it seems that there is more downside than upside in playing a tough OOC schedule. Also, remember doogs like to use the tough schedule excuse so removing that is a nice change.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,719
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    college football is watered down because of this kind of scheduling. that's why I don't watch that much anymore.
    Founders Club

TommySQC said:

And they will be in the Natonal championship discussion. Like it or not, playing easy teams out of conference is the way to go is your serious about going to a BCS game. That said, am early lose to a great team can be overcome, but it seems that there is more downside than upside in playing a tough OOC schedule. Also, remember doogs like to use the tough schedule excuse so removing that is a nice change.
    They will still complain about the TUFF Pac-12 schedule
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

college football is watered down because of this kind of scheduling. that's why I don't watch that much anymore.

So watch football do you watch? Pop Warner?
    Founders Club

So watch football do you watch? Pop Warner?
    I'm hearing that Fire Marshall Bill is a CFL man.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    the NCAA has allowed this bullshit scheduling to get out of hand... by giving bowel games to anyone with 6 wins regardless of who they play is simply a scam and now what's happened is you look at the September schedules when college football should be at its peak with so many games and fans hungry for football and all you see is games you don't want to actually watch.

i remember setting my DVR to catch UCLA/Tennessee and Oregon State/LSU, etc, etc but now all I see are absolute shit matchups that I would never watch in a million years.