Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Serious football discussion -

jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,552
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
Standard Supporter
I am curious how a guy like Hugh Millen with years of playing experience, and a student of the game is generally so wrong.

He speaks of his endless hours of watching film and he still can't get things right. How about his bashing of Russell and Petey. I remember before the start of last season he sadi the Hawks would go 6-10 with Russell as the starter and that Petey made moves just to rock the boat. Petey is too unconventional for Hughey, and it bugs him.
I think Hugh could benefit from taking a step back from the game and look in mirror. He has lost sight of what Husky football is about, and has settled into the belief that UW has the best play caller in nation and the most scenic stadium. Neither win Championships. If he going to continue to do HUsky honks after the games he can't patch in by phone, it makes for terrible radio.

I mean an average fan can watch a few hours of a game and seemingly be more accurate.

Hugh bagged on Price all last year about not making reads and never critiqued the fact the Sark's passing offense just isn't very good. When Locker couldn't throw the ball it was always the WR's and the o-line's fault. He would say WR's couldn't run simple routes based on not being able to read the defense.

Maybe over analyzing is his problem? I used to enjoy listening to his hardcore football segment, but now I am not sure his motivations. Mitch is the only guy to call him on his BS.

There certainly needs to be some new blood put on the airwaves for Husky football, and I don't mean Damon Huard.

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,835
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I agree with some of what you say. His bashing of Wilson was based on mostly on Wilson's lack of prototypical height for an NFL QB. I'm not a Seahawks fan at all but I didn't see anything from them in preseason or early on that made me think they'd be 1 of the best teams at the end of the year.

I agree that Millen needs to step away from Sark a little and realize that Sark is a big part of the problem. Sark might have a great offensive philosophy but the fact that he hasn't changed anything or adapted to compensate for not having All American talent is a sign of Sark's incompetence. To keep blowing Sark just because he could have a great offense if he had the talent is shortsighted especially when you consider Sark is responsible for bringing in the talent.

As for seeing and understanding the WR routes, I'll let Millen judge that. I couldn't figure that shit out without a little tutoring. I agree that Husky football needs a new voice but unfortunately I don't know who's out there that could come in and be an honest voice.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,552
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    That's true. I am not certain who that would be. It needs to be somebody that isn't a marketing mouth piece for the program, but someone who is willing to give honest analysis.

Softy, is a broken record each week. If you tune into the honks it is same line as the week before. How bored would you get following the same script each week? Say a few things about the team bash on some husky players, talk about the opposing team, and praise Sark.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,835
    Founders Club
    Softy is a fat fucking retard. I only listen to him when flipping through the stations and he's interviewing someone about UW football. Even then, I listen only if the interviewee is doing most of the talking.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2013
    Millen sucks. I'm really not a fan, and like you say, he is wrong so often. I think you may have been on to something about him over analyzing things instead of just going by what he sees. Like Sark, he always has to be the smartest guy in the room and he ends up looking like an idiot as a result of it.

As ACSlaterdawg noted, Millen was just happy that Sark let him throw in the goal post situation. He sucks at radio and seems like a lame dude. Who can forget, "I want to see Sark coach this team in the new Husky Stadium." KJR needs to find some real talent because Softy, Baird, and Millen are all horrible.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    To set the record straight this is not a football discussion - serious or otherwise.

I like Hugh. Mind you I haven't listened to anything on KJR much over the past few years but last I knew Hugh was capable of attempting logical thought which is better than the vast majority of the air bags I end up listening to...
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Huge Mellon. Lol!1!!!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mad_Son said:

To set the record straight this is not a football discussion - serious or otherwise.

I like Hugh. Mind you I haven't listened to anything on KJR much over the past few years but last I knew Hugh was capable of attempting logical thought which is better than the vast majority of the air bags I end up listening to...

Really? Obviously, Hugh knows football, but he is one of the biggest wind bags I have ever heard. He lacks the ability to convey his knowledge to the audience in a simple, precise manner, which is what all good analysts try to do.

He's not a likeable guy either. He lacks the ability to show off his knowledge without sounding like a smug asshole. Even though he is wrong very often, he still thinks he is a genius.

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Mad_Son said:

Really? Obviously, Hugh knows football, but he is one of the biggest wind bags I have ever heard. He lacks the ability to convey his knowledge to the audience in a simple, precise manner, which is what all good analysts try to do.

He's not a likeable guy either. He lacks the ability to show off his knowledge without sounding like a smug asshole. Even though he is wrong very often, he still thinks he is a genius.

Nothing you said is contradictory to what I said. I like critical thought, largely independent of format.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,917
    Founders Club
    Hugh is paid to give his opinion and he gives it. I've never detected any smugness. I remember last October when Condotta interviewed me for my last book and in the comments section there were a handful of remarks along the lines of "Derek sure seems to think a lot of himself... What a smug jerk.. etc.", and I was thinking... "huh???" So people can project things into a situation that aren't really there, and I feel like you're doing that with Hugh.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2013
    Point taken. I probably should have kept it to that I don't think he is a very good analyst.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hugh is paid to give his opinion and he gives it. I've never detected any smugness. I remember last October when Condotta interviewed me for my last book and in the comments section there were a handful of remarks along the lines of "Derek sure seems to think a lot of himself... What a smug jerk.. etc.", and I was thinking... "huh???" So people can project things into a situation that aren't really there, and I feel like you're doing that with Hugh.

Was that the money grab?

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,917
    Founders Club

Was that the money grab?

No, the other money grab
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    jecornel said:

I am curious how a guy like Hugh Millen with years of playing experience, and a student of the game is generally so wrong.

He speaks of his endless hours of watching film and he still can't get things right. How about his bashing of Russell and Petey. I remember before the start of last season he sadi the Hawks would go 6-10 with Russell as the starter and that Petey made moves just to rock the boat. Petey is too unconventional for Hughey, and it bugs him.
    I think Hugh could benefit from taking a step back from the game and look in mirror. He has lost sight of what Husky football is about, and has settled into the belief that UW has the best play caller in nation and the most scenic stadium. Neither win Championships. If he going to continue to do HUsky honks after the games he can't patch in by phone, it makes for terrible radio.

I mean an average fan can watch a few hours of a game and seemingly be more accurate.

Hugh bagged on Price all last year about not making reads and never critiqued the fact the Sark's passing offense just isn't very good. When Locker couldn't throw the ball it was always the WR's and the o-line's fault. He would say WR's couldn't run simple routes based on not being able to read the defense.

Maybe over analyzing is his problem? I used to enjoy listening to his hardcore football segment, but now I am not sure his motivations. Mitch is the only guy to call him on his BS.

There certainly needs to be some new blood put on the airwaves for Husky football, and I don't mean Damon Huard.

Disagree.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,233
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Agree
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Because Hugh's a rasssist. . . . . whahhhhhhh!

Enough already.

Because media organizations in Seattle are so tolerant of overt racists?

Just stop.